Can DIY Isolation Transformers Be Safe for Hobby Projects?

In summary, DIY isolation transformers can be safe for hobby projects as long as they are built correctly and the necessary precautions are taken. These transformers can provide a level of protection against electrical shocks and can also help reduce noise and interference in electronic circuits. However, it is important to follow proper safety guidelines and use caution when working with electricity and building these transformers. It is also recommended to seek guidance from experienced individuals or professionals when attempting to construct a DIY isolation transformer.
Birck
How did you find PF?
I googled EE / electronics forums
I have no BG in electronics beyond tinkering. I'm strictly a hobbyist of a certain age, retired, hoping that I can die a natural death far in the future. To that end, I have put together an isolation transformer set (two identical transformers linked back-to-back) in order to complete the design and build of a plastic bender. I do a lot of work in wood, metal, and plastic. My first question on the forum is-I think- pretty basic, but it will help me a lot to get some input.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF; it's good to have you here. :smile:

Birck said:
hoping that I can die a natural death far in the future. To that end, I have put together an isolation transformer
But if you kill yourself with the transformer, it won't be a natural death :smile:

phinds said:
But if you kill yourself with the transformer, it won't be a natural death
Guy gets zapped by that much juice, it's only natural that he be dead.