Why incompressible flow does not satisfy energy equation?

In summary, the speaker encountered a statement on their lecture notes about the difference between compressible and incompressible flow. They were confused about why compressible flow requires an additional energy equation while incompressible flow only needs continuity and momentum equations. The energy equation is related to the speed of sound and can have a significant effect on fluid mechanics under certain circumstances, even for an incompressible fluid. There is debate among authors about whether there are three or four flow regimes, with some considering variable-density flows as a separate category from truly incompressible flows. The speaker also mentions the effect of temperature on viscosity variations, which can couple to fluid dynamics. However, the end result is effectively the same. They clarify that their experience has mainly been
aerograce
I encountered this statement on my lecture notes today,
upload_2017-4-18_21-22-30.png

I don't understand why compressible flow needs to have another constraint of energy equation while incompressible flow only satisfies continuity and momentum equation. And how is this energy equation related to the speed of sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
aerograce said:
I encountered this statement on my lecture notes today,
View attachment 195483
I don't understand why compressible flow needs to have another constraint of energy equation while incompressible flow only satisfies continuity and momentum equation. And how is this energy equation related to the speed of sound?
I don't know what the speaker is referring to. Incompressible flow of a Newtonian Fluid certainly does satisfy the thermal energy balance equation as well as the mechanical energy balance equation.

My guess is that whoever made the slides was simply being inexact with their language. Incompressible flows absolutely do satisfy the energy equation. However, for an incompressible flow, the energy equation is entirely decoupled from the mass and momentum conservation equations, so you can solve the entire velocity and pressure fields without ever touching the energy equation. That's one of the major advantages of treating a flow as incompressible. So, for an incompressible flow, while it does still satisfy the energy equation, we can entirely ignore it unless we specifically care about the temperature field.

boneh3ad said:
My guess is that whoever made the slides was simply being inexact with their language. Incompressible flows absolutely do satisfy the energy equation. However, for an incompressible flow, the energy equation is entirely decoupled from the mass and momentum conservation equations, so you can solve the entire velocity and pressure fields without ever touching the energy equation. That's one of the major advantages of treating a flow as incompressible. So, for an incompressible flow, while it does still satisfy the energy equation, we can entirely ignore it unless we specifically care about the temperature field.
Yes. As you say, if there is significant viscous heating and/or direct external heat transfer to the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid can change, and this then couples to the equation of motion. So, under these circumstances, the energy balance equation can have a significant effect on the fluid mechanics, even for an incompressible fluid.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. As you say, if there is significant viscous heating and/or direct external heat transfer to the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid can change, and this then couples to the equation of motion. So, under these circumstances, the energy balance equation can have a significant effect on the fluid mechanics, even for an incompressible fluid.

There was a fair bit of discussion about this a few months back and whether this truly qualifies as being incompressible or not. Different authors will treat the question differently. Personally, for exactly this reason, I'd argue for there being essentially three flow regimes: incompressible, variable-density, and compressible (or I guess four regimes if you split compressible into subsonic and supersonic). Not everyone agrees with me, though.

boneh3ad said:
There was a fair bit of discussion about this a few months back and whether this truly qualifies as being incompressible or not. Different authors will treat the question differently. Personally, for exactly this reason, I'd argue for there being essentially three flow regimes: incompressible, variable-density, and compressible (or I guess four regimes if you split compressible into subsonic and supersonic). Not everyone agrees with me, though.
I'm confused. Viscous dissipation is a completely different phenomenon than compressibility/incompressibility (which I'm sure you know).

Chestermiller said:
I'm confused. Viscous dissipation is a completely different phenomenon than compressibility/incompressibility (which I'm sure you know).

Yes, I was referring to your comment about how if you have large temperature gradients (for example) then the equations can remain coupled. That's a situation where the kinematics can remain incompressible in a certain sense but the density can still vary in space (or viscosity). Often those are called "variable-density flows" to distinguish them from truly incompressible flows. Depending on your definition of "incompressible", they may or may not still fall within that umbrella.

boneh3ad said:
Yes, I was referring to your comment about how if you have large temperature gradients (for example) then the equations can remain coupled. That's a situation where the kinematics can remain incompressible in a certain sense but the density can still vary in space (or viscosity). Often those are called "variable-density flows" to distinguish them from truly incompressible flows. Depending on your definition of "incompressible", they may or may not still fall within that umbrella.
I wasn't referring to the effect of temperature on density. I was referring to the effect of temperature variations on viscosity variations, which, in turn, couples to the fluid dynamics.

Chestermiller said:
I wasn't referring to the effect of temperature on density. I was referring to the effect of temperature variations on viscosity variations, which, in turn, couples to the fluid dynamics.

Right, but the end result is effectively the same. It's not a situation I confront often, as it would be much more likely to be meaningful in liquids (whereas variable-density is a lot more meaningful in gases), but the effects on the governing equations ought to be quite similar.

boneh3ad said:
Right, but the end result is effectively the same. It's not a situation I confront often, as it would be much more likely to be meaningful in liquids (whereas variable-density is a lot more meaningful in gases), but the effects on the governing equations ought to be quite similar.
Yeah. The overwhelming bulk of my experience has been with liquids.

1. Why does incompressible flow not satisfy the energy equation?

Incompressible flow does not satisfy the energy equation because it is assumed that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant. This assumption leads to the simplification of the energy equation, resulting in the omission of the terms related to compressibility.

2. What is the impact of neglecting compressibility in incompressible flow?

Neglecting compressibility in incompressible flow can lead to errors in the energy equation, as well as in the calculation of other important parameters such as pressure, velocity, and temperature. This can result in inaccurate predictions and simulations of fluid behavior.

3. Can incompressible flow still exhibit changes in pressure and temperature?

Yes, incompressible flow can still exhibit changes in pressure and temperature. However, these changes are small and can be neglected compared to the changes in pressure and temperature in compressible flow.

4. Are there any real-life applications where incompressible flow is assumed?

Yes, incompressible flow is often assumed in real-life applications where the fluid is at low speeds and the density changes are minimal, such as in water flow in pipes and air flow in ventilation systems.

5. How can we account for compressibility in incompressible flow?

To account for compressibility in incompressible flow, researchers and engineers often use corrections or adjustments to the simplified energy equation. This can include incorporating additional terms or using more complex equations that take into account the effects of compressibility.