Why Is a Violation of Causality a Problem?

• I
  • Thread starter Keln
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Causality
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of FTL travel and the problem it poses with causality. The speaker is not interested in the reasons why FTL is impossible, but rather wants to understand the concept better. They propose the idea that the speed of light is the speed of time and that FTL travel would result in going back in time. However, this is not a scientifically sound explanation and the other person in the conversation disagrees with it. The speaker argues that even if they were to travel FTL, they would still arrive at their destination at the same time as if they were traveling at the speed of light. The other person points out that this is not how nature behaves and the concept of FTL violates causality. The speaker
Keln
I've never understood the problem with a violation of causality.

Obviously we are talking about in the context of FTL travel, probably one of the most asked about topics there is. Everyone wants it to be a thing. While I see the benefits of it, I don't care about if it could be possible or not. I just care about understanding why it can or cannot be, with the assumption that it cannot be.

The normal response is "violation of causality!". Also, the many many reasons why you can't go faster than light (mass, infinite energies, etc). But I am not interested in them. This is merely a discussion for understanding a certain piece of the puzzle.

I've come to understand, for my own visualization, that the speed of light is the speed of time itself. Or at least the speed of the time component of space-time. It cannot be violated because it simply isn't possible. To do so would be to travel back in time.

From the reference frame of the one doing the speeding, on a regular old graph, less than c has a v=d/t slope of /

A photon as a frame of reference slope of |

FTL sees a slope of \

Backwards in time is what that plot suggests, unless I am missing something there in my understanding.

But it should be that backwards time travel would be within the reference frame of the one traveling, not an outside observer. And over any distance, their arrival time at any speed would be that at which light or other means could convey that information. It almost seems like one could make what is effectively an instantaneous trip, which is to any other reference frame FTL, yet not appear at that location literally earlier, relative to "universal time" than one left.

In other words, I point my super fast rocket ship at a star 5 light years away. I put it into ludicrous speed which is FTL, and I experience going back in time 5 years and arriving at the point where it looks exactly as it had when I left. Everything there is exactly as it looked to me when I left my planet 5 light years away. I personally have gone back in time 5 years (which I suspect would actually age me 5 years contrary to popular thinking), but the net change is nil, as far as time, I am just in a different location. I could never have made the trip without having seen the destination, approximately around the time just before I left for it. So the cause was distance related, not time related, with respect to the effect.

Effectively, I have just traveled at around light speed, 5 years later in my frame of reference, to arrive at a destination as it looked when I first observed it 5 ly away. The net effect I am 5 years older biologically, but in a different physical location at around the same local time as when I first observed it from Earth.

Why is this a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keln said:
I've never understood the problem with a violation of causality.

Obviously we are talking about in the context of FTL travel, probably one of the most asked about topics there is. Everyone wants it to be a thing. While I see the benefits of it, I don't care about if it could be possible or not. I just care about understanding why it can or cannot be, with the assumption that it cannot be.

The normal response is "violation of causality!".

Are you referring to the notion that FTL travel implies a violation of causality?

It's not clear to me just what it is you're wanting to know.

I've come to understand, for my own visualization, that the speed of light is the speed of time itself. Or at least the speed of the time component of space-time.

While this is a popular notion, I've never been able to make sense of it. Speed is a ratio of distance to time, so speaking of the speed of time is nonsense. Objects have speed, time is not an object.

In other words, I point my super fast rocket ship at a star 5 light years away. I put it into ludicrous speed which is FTL, and I experience going back in time 5 years and arriving at the point where it looks exactly as it had when I left. Everything there is exactly as it looked to me when I left my planet 5 light years away. I personally have gone back in time 5 years (which I suspect would actually age me 5 years contrary to popular thinking), but the net change is nil, as far as time, I am just in a different location. I could never have made the trip without having seen the destination, approximately around the time just before I left for it. So the cause was distance related, not time related, with respect to the effect.

Effectively, I have just traveled at around light speed, 5 years later in my frame of reference, to arrive at a destination as it looked when I first observed it 5 ly away. The net effect I am 5 years older biologically, but in a different physical location at around the same local time as when I first observed it from Earth.

Why is this a problem?

It's not a description of the way Nature behaves.

Mister T said:
Are you referring to the notion that FTL travel implies a violation of causality?

It's not clear to me just what it is you're wanting to know.

I am wanting to know, basically, if I arrive at a physical distance of whatever you like, at t=1 second, after I made the decision to go there at t=0 seconds, regardless of my speed, how that violates causality.

While this is a popular notion, I've never been able to make sense of it. Speed is a ratio of distance to time, so speaking of the speed of time is nonsense. Objects have speed, time is not an object.

Speed is a ratio of d/t, which I noted. However, the "speed limit" of light is related to time. Time, by its very nature has to have some sort of "rate". It's not distance over time, obviously, but it is a rate. And the ratio between c and the rate of time is 1:1, which is why anything traveling at light speed can go an infinite distance over time, from its own reference frame. Calling it the "speed of time" is merely an analogy. They are simply connected. Whether actually going back in time is possible by breaking that barrier is possible...I somehow doubt. I think you get into some impossible math at that point.

But the most common answer to anything about FTL is "breaks causality, stop asking questions". That's not an answer.

It's not a description of the way Nature behaves.

Unless someone has a full model of how Nature behaves already, that's not an answer either. I'm trying to understand as best I can why instantaneous travel in and of itself somehow violates causality, if there is a cause then an effect. I'm not talking about "warp travel" either, which some have conceded is possible, but still grumble about causality. I don't understand why, if there is an actual cause then effect. I'm not talking about arriving before you ever existed here. I'm attempting to understand causality outside of my layman's understanding of the term.

Keln said:
The normal response is "violation of causality!".
Keln said:
But the most common answer to anything about FTL is "breaks causality, stop asking questions".

Do you have a reference?

Keln said:
I've come to understand, for my own visualization, that the speed of light is the speed of time itself.

I don't know where you're getting this understanding from, but it's not even wrong. "The speed of time itself" doesn't make sense.

Keln said:
From the reference frame of the one doing the speeding, on a regular old graph, less than c has a v=d/t slope of /

A photon as a frame of reference slope of |

FTL sees a slope of \

I don't know where you're getting this from either.

Keln said:
Why is this a problem?

There are too many misconceptions in your post to make a start at trying to answer this. I think you need to first spend some time understanding what relativity actually says.

Thread closed.

Keln said:
I am wanting to know, basically, if I arrive at a physical distance of whatever you like, at t=1 second, after I made the decision to go there at t=0 seconds, regardless of my speed, how that violates causality.
Google for "Tachyonic antitelephone"

1. What is causality?

Causality refers to the relationship between cause and effect, where the cause is the reason or event that leads to a certain outcome or effect. It is the fundamental principle in science that explains how things happen in the natural world.

2. What is a violation of causality?

A violation of causality occurs when the effect precedes the cause, which goes against the established understanding of the cause-effect relationship. It is often referred to as a "temporal paradox" or a "time loop."

3. Why is a violation of causality a problem?

A violation of causality is a problem because it contradicts the laws of physics and challenges our understanding of the universe. It also raises questions about the concept of free will and the predictability of events.

4. Can a violation of causality occur in real life?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support a violation of causality in real life. However, there have been thought experiments and hypothetical scenarios that explore the possibility of it happening in certain circumstances.

5. How do scientists study causality and its violations?

Scientists study causality through experiments and observations, where they manipulate variables and measure the resulting effects. They also use mathematical models and theories to understand the cause-effect relationships in different systems. The study of causality and its violations also falls under the field of philosophy, where philosophers explore the logical implications and ethical concerns of such phenomena.