Why is ##Aut(C_8)## not a cyclic group?

• Thread starter jimmycricket
  • Start date
In summary: Similarly, ##Aut(C_9)## is also ##C_2 \times C_2##. So we have ##Aut(C_8) \times Aut(C_9) \cong C_2 \times C_2 \times C_2 \times C_2##, which is isomorphic to ##C_2 \times C_2 \times C_6##.
jimmycricket
Im doing a question where I have to calculate of composition of automorphisms of a cyclic p-group and something has got me confused. When constructing decompositions of cyclic groups I have gotten used to grouping the direct products of groups with orders of the same prime to a power e.g [itex]C_{20}\cong C_4\times C_5[/itex].
In this question however I have gotten to a stage where accorging to my lecturer [itex]Aut(C_8)\times Aut(C_9)\cong C_2\times C_2 \times C_6[/itex] and i don't understand why. I would have expressed it has [itex]C_4\times C_6[/itex] since there are 4 numbers less than 8 that are coprime to 8 (eulers totient function). Can anyone help clear up my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
##Aut(C_8)## is not a cyclic group.

If we write ##C_8## additively, with elements ##\{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7\}##, then there are four possible generators: ##1,3,5,7##. Any automorphism ##\phi \in Aut(C_8)## is determined completely by ##\phi(1)##, and there are four possibilities: ##\phi## can map ##1## to any of ##1,3,5,7##. So ##Aut(C_8)## has four elements.

Expressed in cycle notation, ##Aut(C_8)## consists of these four elements:
$$\phi_1 = \text{identity}$$
$$\phi_2 = (0)(1 3)(2 6)(4)(5 7)$$
$$\phi_3 = (0)(1 5)(2)(3 7)(4)(6)$$
$$\phi_4 = (0)(1 7)(2 6)(3 5)(4)$$
The orders of the non-identity elements are all ##2##, so ##Aut(C_8)## cannot be ##C_4##. Since ##C_2 \times C_2## is (up to isomorphism) the only other group of order 4, by process of elimination, ##Aut(C_8)## must be ##C_2 \times C_2##.

Likes jimmycricket

1. What is an automorphism?

An automorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a function or transformation that preserves the structure of an object. In other words, it is a mapping of an object onto itself that maintains its properties.

2. How do you calculate an automorphism?

The process of calculating an automorphism depends on the type of object you are working with. In general, you need to identify the structure of the object and find a function that maps the object onto itself while preserving its structure. This can involve algebraic manipulation, logical reasoning, and other mathematical techniques.

3. What is the importance of calculating an automorphism?

Calculating automorphisms is important in various fields of mathematics, such as group theory, topology, and abstract algebra. It helps us understand the structure and properties of objects, and can also be used to prove theorems and solve problems.

4. Can an object have multiple automorphisms?

Yes, an object can have multiple automorphisms. In fact, it is common for objects to have infinitely many automorphisms. This is because there can be different ways to map an object onto itself while preserving its structure.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating an automorphism?

Calculating automorphisms can be a challenging and time-consuming process, especially for complex objects. Additionally, not all objects have easily calculable automorphisms. In some cases, it may not be possible to determine all the automorphisms of an object.