Proving that Aut(K), where K is cyclic, is abelian

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary: So the first isomorphism theorem gives us all we need.In summary, The first part of the conversation involves proving that ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)## is an abelian group. The speaker's plan involves using the fact that ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times## and showing that this same isomorphism holds for ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)##. The second part of the conversation involves trying to prove that ##G' \subseteq C_G (K)##, and the speaker suggests using the fact that ##C_G(K)## is normal and considering
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group and ##K## a finite cyclic normal subgroup of ##G##.
a) Prove that ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)## is an abelian group
b) Prove that ##G' \subseteq C_G (K)##, where ##G'## is the commutator subgroup of ##G##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm focusing on the first part. My plan is this. I remember the fact that ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times##, where the latter is an abelian group. So if claim that ##|K| = n##, then clearly by the uniqueness of cyclic groups of each order, ##K \cong \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}##, so if I can show that ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times##, then ##\operatorname{Aut} (K) \cong \operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times##, and hence ##\operatorname{Aut} (K)## is abelian.

But I am having a hard time proving that ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times##. Here is what I might do. Characterize the elements of ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})## as the maps ##\phi_a## that map ##1## to ##a##, where ##\gcd(a,n) = 1##. And then show that the map ##\Phi : (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times \to \operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) ## where ##a \mapsto \phi_a## is an isomorphism. This seems like a roundabout way of showing that ##\operatorname{Aut} (K)## is cylic, so would there be a better way or should I go with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
But I am having a hard time proving that ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^\times.##
If ##\sigma \in \operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_n)## and ##a## generates ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, then ##\sigma(a)=a^m## for some ##m##. But ##\sigma(a)## has to generate the entire group, which is only possible if ##(m,n)=1## by Bezout.

fresh_42 said:
If ##\sigma \in \operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_n)## and ##a## generates ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, then ##\sigma(a)=a^m## for some ##m##. But ##\sigma(a)## has to generate the entire group, which is only possible if ##(m,n)=1## by Bezout.
For part b), do you have any ideas? I was thinking that maybe since ##C_G (K)## is normal, we could show that ##G/C_G(K)## is abelian which would imply that ##G' \subseteq C_G(K)##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
For part b), do you have any ideas? I was thinking that maybe since ##C_G (K)## is normal, we could show that ##G/C_G(K)## is abelian which would imply that ##G' \subseteq C_G(K)##.
No, not yet. I was hoping you had one. Your plan looks nice, but we have a possibly pretty wild ##G## and ##G/C_G(K)## can still be quite large. But it being Abelian is equivalent to the stated assertion. As it is part of the same question, maybe we can establish an isomorphism ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)\cong G/C_G(K)## or at least an embedding ##G/C_G(K) \hookrightarrow \operatorname{Aut}(K)##.

fresh_42 said:
No, not yet. I was hoping you had one. Your plan looks nice, but we have a possibly pretty wild ##G## and ##G/C_G(K)## can still be quite large. But it being Abelian is equivalent to the stated assertion. As it is part of the same question, maybe we can establish an isomorphism ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)\cong G/C_G(K)## or at least an embedding ##G/C_G(K) \hookrightarrow \operatorname{Aut}(K)##.
So, we know that ##G## can act on ##K## by conjugation since ##K## is normal. Consider the permutation representation of this action, ##\varphi : G \to S_K##. Note that $$\ker (\varphi) = \{g\in G \mid \varphi (g) = \operatorname{id}\} = \{g\in G \mid \varphi (g)(k) = k,\forall k\in K\} = \{g\in G \mid gkg^{-1} = k,\forall k\in K\} = C_G(K).$$ If I can establish that the image of ##\varphi## is ##\operatorname{Inn}(K) \le \operatorname{Aut}(K)##, then by the first isomorphism theorem ##G/C_G(K) \cong \operatorname{Inn}(K) \le \operatorname{Aut}(K)##. But ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)## is abelian, so ##G/C_G(K) \cong \operatorname{Inn}(K) ## is also abelian, which means we're done I think.

I'm just having a bit of trouble seeing that the image of ##\varphi## is ##\operatorname{Inn}(K)## for some reason. I see that ##\varphi (G) = \{\varphi (g) \mid g\in G\}##, but why is this set ##\operatorname{Inn}(K)##? It looks like this set is ##\operatorname{Inn}(G)##.

EDIT: Actually, maybe the image of ##\varphi## doesn't have to be ##\operatorname{Inn}(K)##. Maybe it's just an unnamed subgroup of ##\operatorname{Aut}(K)##, in which case I would still be done.

Last edited:
The inner automorphisms of any group, e.g. ##K##, are conjugates by elements of ##K##. What does this mean for an Abelian group? I don't see your isomorphism onto ##\operatorname{Inn}(K)## either, as ##G/Z(G)\cong \operatorname{Inn}(G)## resp. ##K/Z(K) \cong \operatorname{Inn}(K)\cong 1##.

But we don't need this. ##k \longmapsto gkg^{-1}## are obviously automorphisms of ##K##, so ##\varphi(G) \subseteq \operatorname{Aut}(K)##. No inner automorphisms can be expected here, as ##G## is (possibly) so much larger than ##K##. However, we have ##\varphi\, : \,G \twoheadrightarrow \varphi(G) \leq \operatorname{Aut}(K)## and kernel ##C_G(K)##.

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is Aut(K)?

Aut(K) refers to the group of automorphisms of the cyclic group K, which means the group of bijective homomorphisms from K to itself. In simpler terms, it is the group of all possible mappings from K to K that preserve the group structure.

2. Why is it important to prove that Aut(K) is abelian?

Proving that Aut(K) is abelian is important because it helps us understand the structure of the group better. It also allows us to make connections and draw conclusions about other properties of the group, such as its subgroups and quotient groups.

3. How can we prove that Aut(K) is abelian?

There are a few different ways to prove that Aut(K) is abelian. One approach is to use the fact that all cyclic groups are abelian, and then show that the group of automorphisms of a cyclic group must also be abelian. Another approach is to use the definition of an automorphism and prove that the group operation is commutative for all elements in Aut(K).

4. Can Aut(K) ever not be abelian?

No, Aut(K) will always be abelian when K is a cyclic group. This is because all cyclic groups are abelian, and the group of automorphisms of a cyclic group must also be abelian. Therefore, it is impossible for Aut(K) to not be abelian when K is cyclic.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving that Aut(K) is abelian?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of proving that Aut(K) is abelian. For example, this concept is important in cryptography, as it helps in understanding the structure and properties of finite fields which are used in encryption algorithms. It also has applications in computer science, particularly in computer graphics and image processing, where it is used to analyze and manipulate digital images.