Why is d(theta)/dt in radians?

• Thread starter Seung Tai Kang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radians
A Sin(theta/rad) + B Cos(theta/rad)Note that the numerical value of theta is theta* = theta/rad (dimensionless). We use the same angle (in radians) for both the geometric and mathematical functions.In summary, the use of radians is advantageous because it allows for dimensional consistency in trigonometric functions and their derivatives, as well as simplifying the formulas for these functions. This is due to the fact that the argument of trigonometric functions in calculus is the independent variable, a dimensionless quantity, rather than the angle itself. Therefore, the use of radians becomes a convenient choice for solving problems involving rates of change in calculus
Seung Tai Kang
This is just a conceptual question I don't understand.
I am learning Calculus and rate of changes. There are many times where I have to solve for dθ/dt and whenever I do it the answer comes naturally in radians.
Could someone explain to me why this is so?

Physics news on Phys.org
The arc distance on a circle is ## s=r \theta ##, if ## \theta ## is measured in radians. In addition, ## \frac{ d \sin(\theta)}{d \theta}=\cos(\theta) ##, and ## \frac{ d \cos(\theta)}{d \theta}=- \sin(\theta) ##, but these derivatives only hold if ## \theta ## is measured in radians. Likewise ## \sin x=x-\frac{x^3}{3!} +... ## as a Taylor series expansion, but only if ## x ## is measured in radians.

Likes berkeman and CollinsArg
Seung Tai Kang said:
I have to solve for dθ/dt and whenever I do it the answer comes naturally in radians.

Don't you mean radians/second?

You can use any unit you choose for angle, degree, radians, cycles. We prefer radians because of the advantages that @Charles Link said.

Likes Charles Link
Seung Tai Kang said:
am learning Calculus and rate of changes. There are many times where I have to solve for dθ/dt and whenever I do it the answer comes naturally in radians.

If you do dimensional analysis, θ is measured in radians, therefore dθ/dt is measured in rad/s or just s-1. Note that the θ is a dimensionless quantity defined as follows: Given an arc s on a circle of radius r, the angle subtended by the arc is θ = s/r. Being the ratio of two lengths, the angle is a dimensional quantity. We usually tack the units "radians" to an angle measure (of which there are 2π in a full circle) to distinguish the number from "degrees" (of which there are 360 in a full circle.)

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
In addition, ## \frac{ d \sin(\theta)}{d \theta}=\cos(\theta) ##, and ## \frac{ d \cos(\theta)}{d \theta}=- \sin(\theta) ##, but these derivatives only hold if ## \theta ## is measured in radians.
Please, could you extend this? What do you mean by it, if I calculate in degrees won't it work? In which situation?

CollinsArg said:
Please, could you extend this? What do you mean by it, if I calculate in degrees won't it work? In which situation?

Even easier. For small angles, we can use the approximation ##\sin\theta=\theta##.

In radians ##\sin{0.017}\approx{0.017}##, but in degrees ##sin{1}\neq{1}##.

Likes Charles Link
That's really an issue with the approximation and what the relationships of the trig identities really mean.

A circle is still a circle if the radius is changed from 0.0192512 microns or 581236823196589 lightyears or 1 arbitraryunitlength
A circle is still a circle if the angular distance is 1440 degrees or 2*Pi radians or 1 period.

Being a circle, the relations hold exactly perfectly.

You can see this exemplified by drawing two radii from an origin, spaced 1 degree apart. The lines are extremely close at the small radial length scale, they may even may appear parrallel, but extend these radii to much larger distances and the separation between them grows accordingly. HOWEVER no properties of the angle are at all altered in any way by extending the lengths of these radii. Whatever units you choose to calculate the angle between them, the result is still the same, even if approximations may be used in one system only at certain scales.

What's happening is that one presumes the question is given such as "Calculate the derivative of (some equation with Theta) with respect to time" whilst no mention is provided of the units in which Theta is given, and are largely irrelevant unless expected to evaluate. The result, then is typically as a ratio. Such a ratio is exactly what radians are, though ratios to exactly 2*pi rather than ratios to a single cycle (normalised wavelength). The relational values of ratios will hold regardless of units provided consistency is maintained.

CollinsArg said:
You can use either degrees or radians when plugging into your calculator, but the derivative calculation ## f'(\theta)=\frac{ sin(\theta+\Delta \theta)-sin(\theta)}{\Delta \theta} =cos(\theta) ## makes the assumption that ## limit \, \Delta \theta \rightarrow 0 \, \frac{\sin(\Delta \theta)}{\Delta \theta}=1 ##. That is only the case if ## \theta ## is measured in radians.

Likes CollinsArg
We often see warnings such as: "such-and-such a formula is true only if theta is 'measured in radians'." For example: "s = r theta" or "d[sin(theta)]/d(theta) = cos(theta)." Unfortunately, the warning is not correctly (or completely) stated. What is meant is: "theta is the (dimensionless) NUMERICAL VALUE of the angle when the angle is expressed in radians," in other words: theta = (angle of interest)/rad.

In order to avoid confusion, let me use theta to represent an angle (dimension A); and theta* to represents the numerical value of theta when theta is expressed in radians: theta* = theta/rad. The above (correct) formulas are: s = r theta* = r theta/rad and d[sin(theta*)]/d(theta*) = cos(theta*) or d[sin(theta/rad)]/d(theta) = cos(theta/rad). Then it doesn't matter what units are used for (the angle) theta.

We need to distinguish between "geometric" trigonometric functions (ratios of lengths of sides in a right-angled triangle) for which the argument is the angle theta (dimension A) and "mathematical" trigonometric functions: solutions of certain differential equations for which the argument is the independent variable, a (dimensionless) number (dimension: 1). Let me use an initial capital for the former. Then:

Sin(theta) = opp/hyp = sin(theta*) = sin(theta/rad)

and so on for the other trigonometric functions. The length ratios and mathematical functions are themselves dimensionless.

In terms of geometric functions of the (dimensional) angle theta, we have, for example:

d[Sin(theta)]/d(theta) = Cos(theta)/rad

easily proved geometrically, using properties of similar triangles (and s = r theta/rad).

Note the dimensional consistency: dim(LHS) = 1/A; dim(RHS) = 1/A. And, since d[Cos(theta)]/d(theta) = –Sin(theta)/rad, if we define y(theta) = Sin(theta) we find that y is the solution of:

d^2y/d(theta)^2 + y/rad^2 = 0

which, with appropriate "initial" conditions, yields: y(theta) = sin(theta/rad).

Last edited:
BP Leonard said:
We often see warnings such as: "such-and-such a formula is true only if theta is 'measured in radians'."

You may be interested in this PF Insights article in which the author, Derek Bolton, offers arguments for assigning a unit for angle. Also in the ensuing discussion of that article where may others argue against that.

BP Leonard said:
Sin(theta) = opp/hyp = sin(theta*) = sin(theta/rad)
The notation you used here and elsewhere in your post is confusing -- it looks like you're dividing theta by "rad".

BP Leonard said:
d[Sin(theta)]/d(theta) = Cos(theta)/rad
BP Leonard said:
Note the dimensional consistency: dim(LHS) = 1/A; dim(RHS) = 1/A.

1/A? What does that mean?

Last edited:
The OP question has been well answered.

Thread closed.

1. Why is d(theta)/dt measured in radians?

The derivative of an angle, d(theta)/dt, is measured in radians because radians are a unit of measurement specifically designed for angles. Unlike degrees, which are based on arbitrary divisions of a circle, radians are based on the ratio between the arc length and the radius of a circle. This makes them a more natural and accurate unit for measuring angles in mathematical equations.

2. Can d(theta)/dt be measured in other units?

Technically, d(theta)/dt can be measured in other units such as degrees per second or revolutions per second. However, using radians as the unit of measurement is more commonly used and accepted in scientific and mathematical equations. This is because radians make it easier to work with trigonometric functions and simplify calculations involving angles.

3. What is the relationship between d(theta)/dt and angular velocity?

D(theta)/dt is a mathematical representation of angular velocity, which is the rate of change of an angle with respect to time. In other words, it measures how quickly an angle is changing over time. This makes d(theta)/dt an important concept in physics and engineering, where angular velocity is used to describe the motion of rotating objects.

4. Does d(theta)/dt have any physical significance?

Yes, d(theta)/dt has physical significance because it represents the instantaneous rate of change of an angle. This can be used to calculate the angular acceleration of an object, which is related to the torque and moment of inertia of the object. Therefore, d(theta)/dt plays an important role in understanding the dynamics of rotating objects.

5. How is d(theta)/dt calculated?

D(theta)/dt is calculated using the derivative of a trigonometric function, specifically the derivative of sine or cosine. This can be done using the chain rule or other mathematical techniques. In some cases, d(theta)/dt can also be measured experimentally using sensors and equipment to track the rotation of an object and calculate its angular velocity.