Why is gravitational potential energy defined at infinity?

In summary: It's just a matter of mathematical convenience to choose the reference level at infinity, where the potential energy is 0. In summary, the concept of gravitational potential energy is defined at infinity because it is a matter of mathematical convenience to choose a reference level where the potential energy is 0. This allows for simpler equations and calculations. The negative sign in the equation for GPE is also a matter of convention and does not affect the physical results. The important factor is the change in potential energy, not the specific value.
jaredvert
Why is gravitational potential energy defined at infinity?

Like here on Earth there is Zero potential energy at the center of the Earth (if you could theoroeetically go there) so why not define it as 0 at zero distance from the force supplier instead of at infinity? I understand why the potential energy is 0 at infinity but I am struggling with the reason why mgh is positive yet gravitational is negative? Can't mgh be defined the same way (yes I realize the force varies exponentially so the "height" would be erroneous) but I am still unsure. HelpSent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

Physics news on Phys.org
For point masses or non-overlapping spherical masses of uniform density

GPE = - G m1 m2 / r + K

Where K is some arbitrary constant. Setting K = 0 means that GPE = 0 for r = ∞. It's just a matter of convenience.

In the case of an infinitely large plane with some fixed amount of mass per unit area, then

GPE = g m h + K

where g is the acceleration produced on any object in the gravitational field produced by the infinite plane. Setting K = 0, means that GPE = 0 for h = 0. For objects close to the Earth's surface, treating the Earth's surface as an approximation to an infinite plane is common and for this approximation, GPE = m g h.

In the case of a point mass outside of an infinitely long cylinder with fixed amount of mass per unit length:

GPE = g m ln(r/K) = g m (ln(r) - ln(K))

Where K is the reference radial distance from the center of the cylinder, and g an acceleration factor related to the mass density in the cylinder. Setting K = 1 results in

GPE = g m ln(r)

In this case the choice of K = 1 would depend on the units.

Note that in all cases, GPE increases (becomes less negative or becomes more positive) as r (or h) increases.

So when you conserve energy in an equation then how come you could have -gpe + kinetic energy = ... It would appear as though gpe were subtracting energy and hence yield a wrong result if gpe wasn't on the right side of the equation as well. Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

jaredvert said:
Like here on Earth there is Zero potential energy at the center of the earth

How do you know that? All that ever matters physically is the difference in potential energy, U2 - U1 = ΔU, between two locations. It's purely a matter of mathematical convenience which location we choose to have potential energy U = 0.

I understand why the potential energy is 0 at infinity but I am struggling with the reason why mgh is positive yet gravitational is negative?

To see the connection between U = mgh and U = -GMm/r, maybe this post will help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4651831#post4651831

This analysis works only for r > R, i.e. at the Earth's surface and beyond. It doesn't work for r < R, inside the earth, because F ≠ GMm/r2 and U ≠ -GMm/r + K inside the earth.

Last edited:
jaredvert said:
So when you conserve energy in an equation then how come you could have -gpe + kinetic energy = ... It would appear as though gpe were subtracting energy and hence yield a wrong result if gpe wasn't on the right side of the equation as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

I think you need to clarify your question. The mechanical energy is defined as E = K + U,
where U is the potential energy. U may be a negative quantity, but the formula is E = K + U.

dauto said:
I think you need to clarify your question. The mechanical energy is defined as E = K + U,

where U is the potential energy. U may be a negative quantity, but the formula is E = K + U.
Yeah wouldn't a negative potential energy subtract from the total mechanical energy? So how can that be right?

jaredvert said:
Yeah wouldn't a negative potential energy subtract from the total mechanical energy? So how can that be right?

Yes, it would subtract from the mechanical energy, but that's not a problem.
The potential energy itself has no physical significance. Only changes to the energy are meaningful.
You can always add a constant to the total potential energy (which also adds a constant to the mechanical energy) with no effect on the physics. That constant can be positive or negative.
Even if you chose the surface of the Earth as your reference level, you would still have to deal with negative potential energy for points inside of the earth.

1. Why is gravitational potential energy defined at infinity?

Gravitational potential energy is defined at infinity because it allows for a consistent and universally applicable measurement of the energy associated with an object's position in a gravitational field. When an object is infinitely far away from a massive object, it has no potential energy and this provides a reference point for measuring potential energy at any other distance.

2. How is gravitational potential energy at infinity related to escape velocity?

Gravitational potential energy at infinity is directly related to the escape velocity of an object, which is the minimum velocity needed for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body. As an object moves farther away from a massive body, its gravitational potential energy increases and its escape velocity decreases. At infinity, the object has infinite potential energy and zero escape velocity.

3. Can gravitational potential energy at infinity be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy at infinity can be negative. This occurs when the object is closer to the massive body than the reference point at infinity. In this case, the object's potential energy is lower than the reference point and is considered negative.

4. How does the value of gravitational potential energy at infinity affect the object's motion?

The value of gravitational potential energy at infinity does not directly affect the object's motion. It is only used as a reference point for measuring potential energy at other distances. However, the object's potential energy at any given distance does affect its motion as it moves in the gravitational field, as it will experience a force in the direction of decreasing potential energy.

5. Is there a practical application for understanding gravitational potential energy at infinity?

Yes, understanding gravitational potential energy at infinity is essential for many applications in physics and engineering. It is used in calculations related to orbits and trajectories of objects in space, and in designing spacecraft and other objects that move in a gravitational field. It also helps us understand the behavior of celestial bodies and the formation of galaxies.