Why is Isopropanol used after Acetone in cleaning procedures?

In summary, According to this article, Isopropanol must be used after Acetone cleaning, due to the high evaporation rate of acetone.
pangru
In the semiconductor device fabrication procedures, common cleaning recipe includes Acetone and just after it, Isopropanol cleaning.
My question is, Why do we need Isopropanol cleaning after acetone?

As answers of this question says, Isopropanol must be used after acetone cleaning, due to high evaporation rate of acetone
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-...ing-in-the-order-Acetone-Methanol-Isopropanol

This point is not clear for me, since nobody waits for acetone to evaporate. what will be wrong if I do Aceton + DI water + drying?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lord Jestocost
Physics news on Phys.org
pangru said:
In the semiconductor device fabrication procedures, common cleaning recipe includes Acetone and just after it, Isopropanol cleaning.
My question is, Why do we need Isopropanol cleaning after acetone?

As answers of this question says, Isopropanol must be used after acetone cleaning, due to high evaporation rate of acetone
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-...ing-in-the-order-Acetone-Methanol-Isopropanol

This point is not clear for me, since nobody waits for acetone to evaporate. what will be wrong if I do Aceton + DI water + drying?

I'm not sure of all the issues in semiconductor fabrication, but in cleaning stuff for ultra-high vacuum systems, we wipe or clean with acetone and then use isopropanol or ethanol after because acetone tends to leave a residue after it evaporates.

Zz.

Likes Lord Jestocost
ZapperZ said:
...of all the issues in semiconductor fabrication

More or less the same cleaning procedure for Si-wafers which are contaminated with organic impurities. Isopropanol is an excellent rinse agent for contaminated acetone.

"For substrates contaminated with organic impurities, two-stage substrate cleaning with acetone is recommended to remove organic impurities, followed by isopropanol, which removes contaminated acetone before it can form streaks on the substrate."
[PDF]
Substrate Preparation: Cleaning and Adhesion ... - MicroChemicals

Likes pangru
pangru said:
Why do we need Isopropanol cleaning after acetone?

The question is really good. I always use the standard recipe to remove organic impurities from the surface a various substrates. Maybe, a chemist can answer why it is not recommended to use DI water rinsing directly after acetone cleaning.

ZapperZ said:
in cleaning stuff for ultra-high vacuum systems, we wipe or clean with acetone and then use isopropanol or ethanol after because acetone tends to leave a residue after it evaporates.
So, reason to use Isopropanol after Aceton is high evaporation rate of acetone, is it right?

as I understood it is following:>> If I start drying(by Ni gas flow) sample just after acetone cleaning, aceton will evaporate so fast, before I remove by Ni gas-flow,that rinsed particles will redeposit on surface.

Lord Jestocost said:
why it is not recommended to use DI water rinsing directly after acetone cleaning.
That is a point :woot:
maybe water can not dissolve acetone :rolleyes:

pangru said:
So, reason to use Isopropanol after Aceton is high evaporation rate of acetone, is it right?

Did you read what I wrote? If acetone did not leave anything behind, regardless of whether it has a high evaporation rate or not, will we be having this conversation?

Zz.

Acetone has tendency to oligomerize over time and this reaction can form non-volatile residues. Isopropanol has not that problem.

Likes Nik_2213 and pangru
Indeed, acetone is a good solvent for a lot of things but tend to leave behind some gunk that in turn can be dissolved by isopropanol.
DI water might be able to remove some of those residues (but probably not all of them), but you also have the problem that many materials do NOT like water at all whereas IPA is always safe (if acetone is OK then so is IPA)

Likes berkeman, Lord Jestocost and pangru
ZapperZ said:
Did you read what I wrote?
:smile:

ZapperZ said:
If acetone did not leave anything behind, regardless of whether it has a high evaporation rate or not, will we be having this conversation?
It is clear what acetone leaves something behind.. I wanted to understand the role of its evaporation rate

It seem where are some other reasons why it is good to have IPA after, but evaporation rate is crucial point as well---
thank to all of you for quick and kind explanations,
:partytime:

Likes Nik_2213

1. Why is isopropanol used after acetone in cleaning procedures?

Isopropanol, also known as rubbing alcohol, is often used after acetone in cleaning procedures because it is a less harsh solvent. Acetone can be very drying to the skin and can damage certain materials, while isopropanol is gentler and less likely to cause damage.

2. Is isopropanol more effective than acetone for cleaning?

It depends on the type of substance being cleaned. Isopropanol is better for removing oils, grease, and certain types of dirt, while acetone is better for removing organic compounds and stubborn residues. In some cases, using both in combination may be the most effective method.

3. Can isopropanol be used as a substitute for acetone in cleaning?

Yes, isopropanol can be used as a substitute for acetone in cleaning, but it may not be as effective for certain types of substances. It is important to consider the specific properties of the substance being cleaned and choose the appropriate solvent accordingly.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using isopropanol after acetone in cleaning procedures?

Both isopropanol and acetone are flammable and should be used with caution. It is important to follow proper safety protocols, such as working in a well-ventilated area and avoiding contact with open flames or heat sources. Additionally, both solvents can be drying to the skin, so it is recommended to wear gloves when handling them.

5. Can using isopropanol after acetone damage certain materials?

Isopropanol is generally considered to be less damaging to materials than acetone, but it can still cause damage to certain types of plastics, rubber, and painted surfaces. It is important to test a small, inconspicuous area before using isopropanol on a larger scale to ensure it does not cause damage.