Why is it possible to push your finger through butter?

• B
  • Thread starter arupel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary, the vast amount of space at the atomic level is empty so on that basis of this it should not be that difficult to push your finger through a table. However, the arrangement of electrons in your finger cannot easily electro-statically overcome the arrangement of electrons in the table because they are both already in too stable of an atomic configuration. The outer electron shells very much repel one another in a springy fashion and floor atoms hold us up by our foot atoms in this way.
arupel
Basically the vast amount of space at the atomic level is empty so on that basis of this it should not be that difficult to push your finger through a table.

Primary explanation is that it is electrical repulsion between the electrons orbits of the atoms of my finger to that of the table? How does this work?

Second possible explanation is that it is the Pauli exclusion principle. How does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
arupel said:
Primary explanation is that it is electrical repulsion between the electrons orbits of the atoms of my finger to that of the table? How does this work?

What do you mean when you ask how it works? Go to YouTube and do a search for Feynman magnets. The video clip is about seven and a half minutes long.

Likes davenn
arupel said:
Second possible explanation is that it is the Pauli exclusion principle. How does this work?
and since you are aware of the Pauli exclusion principle, have you checked out to what it actually says ?

Go and do what @Mister T and I have suggested and come back with any specific question on bits you don't understand :smile:Dave

You can also search for PF threads on the subject, where you will see that you basic premise
arupel said:
Basically the vast amount of space at the atomic level is empty
is false.

The simple answer is that the arrangement of electrons in your finger cannot easily electro-statically overcome the arrangement of electrons in the table because they are both already in too stable of an atomic configuration. The outer electron shells very much repel one another in a springy fashion and floor atoms hold us up by our foot atoms in this way. I say springy because there is a slight give, which is why a ball bearing bounces on a marble floor.

OTOH, atoms squeezed together with enough force and loosened with heat can interconnect. Coal squeezed into diamonds is an example. Since our fingers are partly carbon, that portion might become diamond under extreme conditions, I suppose. Ouch.

Even if you dip your fingers in water, the partly free atoms of the liquid are too stable for these electron shells to give and totally mix with the electron shells of your finger. The intact atoms of liquids or gases like air, both fluids and loosely coherent under normal temperature and pressure, merely part enough to allow the stable solid atomic configuration of your finger to pass by the liquid atoms.

Wes

DrClaude said:
You can also search for PF threads on the subject, where you will see that you basic premise

is false.
I have a feeling that your reply could over - simplified. The Rutherford alphascattering results suggest that it is not "false' - if you interpret the results as they were originally interpreted - that there is a lot of 'empty' space, or at least very low density stuff in the gaps between the nuclei of atoms of a solid. But I agree that simplified, mechanical models of the atomic level can be misleading.

Likes DrClaude
It has to do of how strong intermolecular bonds of a material are.For example NaCl intermolecular bonds are very strong(they are ionic) and that's why NaCl has a high melting point.H20 bonds are covalent but polar so they are quite strong to be broken.O2 bonds are covalent and non-polar so they are easily broken.

CaptainMarvel1899 said:
It has to do of how strong intermolecular bonds of a material are.For example NaCl intermolecular bonds are very strong(they are ionic) and that's why NaCl has a high melting point.H20 bonds are covalent but polar so they are quite strong to be broken.O2 bonds are covalent and non-polar so they are easily broken.
This has nothing to do with the question asked.

It has . Thats why some materials are solids in room temperature , some are liquids and some are gases.

CaptainMarvel1899 said:
It has . Thats why some materials are solids in room temperature , some are liquids and some are gases.
No. The question is about why you can't push your finger through a solid.

Likes davenn
Is butter a solid?
I can push my finger through butter.

256bits said:
Is butter a solid?
Classification alert! :eek:

Likes CaptainMarvel1899
Nice one.

256bits said:
Is butter a solid?
I can push my finger through butter.
From the point of view of the original question, you're not pushing your finger through butter. You are moving the butter aside to make room for your finger.

This thread is getting silly. Thanks to @Wes Tausend for the best answer.

Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

Related to Why is it possible to push your finger through butter?

1. Why do solids have a fixed shape?

Solids have a fixed shape because their particles are tightly packed together and held in a fixed position by strong intermolecular forces. This arrangement prevents the particles from moving around and changing the shape of the solid.

2. What makes solids different from liquids and gases?

Solids are different from liquids and gases because their particles are tightly packed together and have a fixed arrangement, unlike the particles in liquids and gases which are more spread out and can move around freely.

3. Why do solids have a definite volume?

Solids have a definite volume because their particles are closely packed together and cannot be compressed. This means that the amount of space the solid takes up is fixed and cannot change.

4. How do solids maintain their shape under pressure?

Solids maintain their shape under pressure because their particles are held together by strong intermolecular forces. These forces are able to resist external forces, such as pressure, and keep the particles in their fixed positions.

5. Can solids change into other states of matter?

Yes, solids can change into other states of matter through the processes of melting, sublimation, and deposition. These changes occur when the particles in the solid gain or lose enough energy to break away from their fixed positions and move into a new arrangement.