Why is ln(x) used for formulas?

• I
  • Thread starter Newtons Apple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary: That is the right answer. There is nothing strange about the exponential. It is a simple function with a simple and intuitive property: it is its own derivativeIn summary, the use of ln and its base e in mathematical equations, such as the rocket equation, is due to the fact that it is the inverse of the exponential function and has specific properties that make it useful for solving certain problems, such as those involving exponential growth. Its value is not arbitrary, but rather represents a common rate for all continually growing systems.
Newtons Apple
Hey folks...Ok so I have another question related to e and it's use in the natural log function, ln. I notice that the function ln() is used in things like the rocket equation, describing velocity of an object as it moves and uses fuel etc.. But glossing over that I'm just more curious as to why ln and more specifically it's 'e' base, is being used. Why does the value of e specicfically here apply? Furthermore why is ln at all being applied here? My overall question is..I get the value of 'e' for things like compounding interest...but when it comes to things like motion and other area's I don't see how it applies? What is it that ln will provide here? what if you used a different log ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDeq3CzmU4Q8xq-GxjqZCznTd8U3J6GybOv7xujzhTFDWd5H_-5Q.png

Thanks for any hints guys.. I'm just curious as to what ln is doing here and what the point of it is... Again I get that it's the natural log, and that it's base is 'e'. So it gets the value of, what number do you raise 'e' to, to get initial mass divided by final mass...but what is that important?

Attachments

• Screenshot - 1_2_2019 , 2_46_12 AM.jpg
    Screenshot - 1_2_2019 , 2_46_12 AM.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 366
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDeq3CzmU4Q8xq-GxjqZCznTd8U3J6GybOv7xujzhTFDWd5H_-5Q.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDeq3CzmU4Q8xq-GxjqZCznTd8U3J6GybOv7xujzhTFDWd5H_-5Q.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
The rocket equation results from solving a differential equation. This differential equation is based on conservation of momentum and in the linit of infinitesimally small packages of exhaust. Its solution is in terms of the natural logarithm.

In the end, it all boils down to ##e^x## being its own derivative.

In a lot of processes, the change in a quantity is proportional to the quantity itself. Think e.g. about the probability that you wreck your dearly-beloved China of your mother-in-law: the more se has of it, the higher the probability you drop one of her plates during doing the dishes. Or think about populations: the more humans we have, the more interactions there can be, and the more reproduction we will have. Up to a certain limit in reality, of course.

So that's what we call "exponential growth": the change of a quantity is proportional to the quantity itself. Mathematically, the function which satisfies this property is the exponential function (hence the name). It's inverse is the logarithm.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really appreciate it.. I'm only part way through calculus I so some of this is indeed a bit lost on me... but let me try to rephrase what you're saying...and you tell me if I have it right...

So..
ln m0/mf

We find what the number e needs to be raised to, to get:

m0/mf

So if we have

m0 = 400 and m0/mf = 100 ...

We get ln(4) which is : 1.39... So

e1.39 correct?

But..what am I looking at here? What value does this have? What is this e1.39 telling us?

Newtons Apple said:
But..what am I looking at here? What value does this have? What is this e1.39 telling us?
Nothing. In the end it is a matter of scaling, same as units are. But if we agree on natural units like ##c=\hbar=G=1## we should as well consider ##y(0)=1## as natural condition. It makes sense, since differentiation is the process of locally turning something multiplicative (##1##) into something additive (##0##). Other conditions which result in a different base, i.e. scaling factors ##\log b## are far more artificial - same as 300,000 km/s is.

Thanks for the answers but I think I found the answer more akin to what I was looking for:

There’s a fresh, intuitive explanation: The natural log gives you the time needed to reach a certain level of growth.

as well as;

So e is not an obscure, seemingly random number. e represents the idea that all continually growing systems are scaled versions of a common rate.

https://betterexplained.com/articles/demystifying-the-natural-logarithm-ln/

Last edited:
Newtons Apple said:
Thanks for the answers but I think I found the answer more akin to what I was looking for:

There’s a fresh, intuitive explanation: The natural log gives you the time needed to reach a certain level of growth.

as well as;

So e is not an obscure, seemingly random number. e represents the idea that all continually growing systems are scaled versions of a common rate.

https://betterexplained.com/articles/demystifying-the-natural-logarithm-ln/

This link is not rigorous. The idea it gives of continuous growth is vague. Things can grow continuously in many ways not only exponentially. Post #4 gives the right answer.

The link you gave says

"Given how the natural log is described in math books, there’s little “natural” about it: it’s defined as the inverse of e^x, a strange enough exponent already."

The author then goes on to show that the log is the inverse of the exponential.

Last edited:

Related to Why is ln(x) used for formulas?

1. Why is ln(x) used instead of other logarithmic functions?

The natural logarithm, ln(x), is used because it has a special property that makes it useful in many scientific and mathematical applications. Unlike other logarithmic functions, ln(x) has a base of e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. This base is important because it allows for simpler and more elegant mathematical equations.

2. What is the significance of the natural logarithm in scientific research?

The natural logarithm is significant in scientific research because it has many applications in modeling natural phenomena. It is often used to describe exponential growth and decay, as well as rates of change in physical and biological systems. Additionally, it is used in statistical analysis and data interpretation.

3. How is ln(x) used in chemistry and physics?

In chemistry, ln(x) is used in the study of chemical kinetics, which is the rate at which chemical reactions occur. It is also used in thermodynamics, specifically in the calculation of the Gibbs free energy of a reaction. In physics, ln(x) is used in various equations related to radioactive decay, electrical circuits, and fluid mechanics.

4. Can you provide an example of a formula that uses ln(x)?

One example of a formula that uses ln(x) is the half-life equation, which is used to calculate the amount of time it takes for a substance to decay by half. The formula is t1/2 = ln(2)/k, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln is the natural logarithm, and k is the decay constant.

5. Is there a specific reason why ln(x) is used in calculus?

Yes, there is a specific reason why ln(x) is used in calculus. The natural logarithm is the inverse of the exponential function, which means that it "undoes" the effect of the exponential function. This makes it useful in solving integrals involving exponential functions, as well as in finding the slope of a curve at a given point.