Why is my LP filter calculation not working properly?

In summary, Roger was working on a problem where he wasn't sure why the attached LP filter calculation didn't work. He eventually realized that he needed to use KCL to solve the problem and also realized that he may have been cheating by not calculating the differential input. Ultimately, he found out that his approach was wrong and that he needed to use a voltages based approach.
rogerk8
Hi!

I wonder why attached LP filter calculation does not compute.

I am considering the node P1 as a complex node yet my approach is obviously wrong.

The only way to solve this problem is with the use of good old KCL which makes

[tex]I_3-I_2-I_1=0[/tex]
You would however also need to consider that the differential input is zero and that

[tex]U_-=U_o/Av[/tex]
Yet I think my approach is more intuitive.

What am I missing?

Roger

Attachments

• LP.PNG
    LP.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 406
Engineering news on Phys.org
You haven't provided an overall expression for Uo/Uin. You seem to be headed that way, but you need to finish up.

The Electrician said:
You haven't provided an overall expression for Uo/Uin. You seem to be headed that way, but you need to finish up.

Hi!

Thanks for your interest in my problem!

Continueing my faulty approach...

[tex]U_+=U_o/A_v=(U_{in}+\frac{R_1}{R_1+1/sC_1}(U_o-U_{in}))\frac{1/sC_2}{R_2+1/sC_2}[/tex]

which gives

[tex]U_o/A_v=U_{in}(\frac{1/sC_2}{R_2+1/sC_2}-\frac{R_1/sC_2}{(R_1+1/sC_1)(R_2+1/sC_2)})+ \frac{R_1/sC_2}{(R_1+1/sC_1)(R_2+1/sC_2)}U_o[/tex]

thus

[tex]U_o/U_{in}=\frac{1/sC_2(R_1+1/sC_1)-R_1/sC_2}{(R_1+1/sC_1)(R_2+1/sC_2)-A_vR_1/sC_2}A_v[/tex]

multiplying top (denominator?) and bottom (nominator?) with

[tex]s^2C_1C_2[/tex]

gives

[tex]=\frac{A_v}{s^2R_1R_2C_1C_2+sR_1C_1+sR_2C_2+1-A_vsR_1C_1}[/tex]

or

[tex]=\frac{A_v}{s^2R_1C_1R_2C_2+s(R_2C_2+R_1C_1(1-A_v))+1}[/tex]

which is wrong.

The correct expression should read:

[tex]=\frac{A_v}{s^2R_1C_1R_2C_2+s(C_2(R_1+R_2)+R_1C_1(1-A_v))+1}[/tex]

I thus somehow lose part of the s-prefix which should be the sum of R1 and R2 multiplied with C2.

Yet I think my approach should give a correct answer because I have not "cheated" anywhere and even written the complete complex expression for the P1 node.

This is very strange to me. And a kind of disappointment because I have always felt that using voltages (KVL) is much easier than using currents (KCL).

Roger

You haven't shown how you derived equation 2 in your attached image, but I think I see what you're trying to do. You appear to treating the C1-R1 pair as a voltage divider which divides the difference between Uo and Uin, with the result of the division appearing across R1, and that voltage added to Uin.

The problem with this approach is that you haven't accounted for the loading effect of R2 and C2 on the divider. You can't just ignore that.

I see what you mean.

It all comes down to the simple fact of R2-C2 loading on the P1 node.

And you can't really ignore that while the potential isn't a pure non-resistive Thevenin source, right?

Thank you for clearifying this to me!

Roger

Related to Why is my LP filter calculation not working properly?

1. How do I calculate the cutoff frequency for an LP filter?

The cutoff frequency for an LP filter can be calculated using the formula fc = 1 / (2πRC), where fc is the cutoff frequency, R is the resistance value, and C is the capacitance value. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or specialized software to calculate the cutoff frequency for your specific filter design.

2. What is the purpose of a low-pass filter?

A low-pass filter is used to allow low-frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or blocking high-frequency signals. It is commonly used in audio systems to filter out unwanted high-frequency noise and improve the overall sound quality.

3. How do I choose the correct resistor and capacitor values for my LP filter?

The resistor and capacitor values for an LP filter depend on the desired cutoff frequency and the impedance of the circuit. You can use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the values, or you can consult online resources or consult with a professional to determine the appropriate values for your specific application.

4. What is the difference between a first-order and a second-order LP filter?

A first-order LP filter attenuates the high-frequency signals at a rate of -6 dB per octave, while a second-order LP filter attenuates at a rate of -12 dB per octave. This means that a second-order filter provides a steeper cutoff and a better roll-off of high frequencies compared to a first-order filter.

5. Can I use an LP filter to remove noise from a signal with a specific frequency?

Yes, an LP filter can be designed to filter out signals at a specific frequency. This is done by selecting the appropriate cutoff frequency and using a higher order filter (e.g. third or fourth order) to achieve a more precise attenuation of the unwanted frequency. However, it is important to note that an LP filter will also attenuate other frequencies, so careful consideration and testing is necessary to achieve the desired result.