Why Is "P" Used in Momentum Formula (p=mv)?

In summary, the formula p=mv is used to teach momentum, but many people question why the letter p is used instead of other letters or symbols. Online searches provide various explanations, including references to Newton and his Principia, but there is no definitive answer. However, the important thing to remember is that equations express relationships between quantities and should not be treated as mere formulas to be memorized.
Mrs. Callahan
While teaching momentum, we use the formula p=mv.

Every year it comes up as to why the letter p is used in the formula and not other letters or symbols. I have conducted on-line searches and I stumble across explanations that mention Newton and his Principia along with other possible suggestions stated here:

http://2000clicks.com/mathhelp/PhysicsMomentum.aspx

Is there a reliable source out there that can difinitively explain the p in the formula p=mv?

Physics news on Phys.org
We get similar questions a lot, such as "why m for slope". I think these questions tend to obscure the important thing in the equations: they express relations between quantities, and are not formulas (i.e. recipes) to be memorized and incanted later as needed. No, I don't know why p, but why not p?

Likes Mrs. Callahan and Chestermiller

1. Why is "p" used in the momentum formula instead of another letter?

The letter "p" is used in the momentum formula because it stands for momentum, which is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. The use of "p" is a convention in physics and is widely accepted in the scientific community.

2. What does the "p" in the momentum formula represent?

The "p" in the momentum formula represents the momentum of an object, which is a measure of its motion and is equal to the product of its mass and velocity. In other words, it represents the amount of motion an object has.

3. Why is the letter "v" used for velocity in the momentum formula?

The letter "v" is used for velocity in the momentum formula because velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a commonly used variable in physics and is represented by "v" in many equations, including the momentum formula.

4. Is there a reason why "m" is used for mass in the momentum formula?

Yes, "m" is used for mass in the momentum formula because mass is a fundamental property of matter and is represented by the letter "m" in many scientific equations. It is also the standard notation for mass in the SI system of units.

5. Can the momentum formula be written using different variables?

Yes, the momentum formula can be written using different variables, as long as they are consistent and represent the same physical quantities. For example, instead of "p=mv", it can be written as "M=mv" or "P=mxv". However, using "p" for momentum, "m" for mass, and "v" for velocity is the most commonly used notation in physics.