Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity ?

In summary, robotics and mechatronics are a combination of both mechanical and electrical engineering. While robotics may seem to focus more on electronics and control, it also requires knowledge of mechanical engineering principles. Mechatronics and controls are interdisciplinary fields, with both ME and EE playing equally important roles. Therefore, both disciplines have a place in the study of robotics and mechatronics.
AlexES16
Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity!?

Doesent Robots and Mechatronics have to do more with Electrcial Engineering?

Robots think with electronics not with mechanical or thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org

At our school, the class is filled with both Mechanical and ECE students. The students are grouped so that each group has an appropriate amount of respective experts. I expect it's much the same at your school. That said, the class still needs to have a home on paper.

Wetmelon said:
At our school, the class is filled with both Mechanical and ECE students. The students are grouped so that each group has an appropriate amount of respective experts. I expect it's much the same at your school. That said, the class still needs to have a home on paper.

Robotic class?

I want to be in the electronic and control of the robot field, in resume

i wana know ¿How the robot thinks?

You probably want to go into computer science and artificial intelligence. Take some mechatronics classes so you know what the robot is up against, and some neuro-physiology classes to get an idea of what you are up against...

AlexES16 said:
Robotic class?

The class is called "Mechatronics" :P

schip666! said:
You probably want to go into computer science and artificial intelligence. Take some mechatronics classes so you know what the robot is up against, and some neuro-physiology classes to get an idea of what you are up against...

I like physics more than programing, in EE you see electronics which is a major part of robotics,
also the movement of the robot are electronic ordered.

Maybe is a mistake in a lot of universities to put ME more close to robotics more than EE.

in EE your learn controls and signals which are vital in the concept of a robot and you see those in Electrcial/Electronic Engineering

AlexES16 said:

Robots think with electronics not with mechanical or thermodynamics.
A robot is a mechanical machine guided by electronics, neither part is more important than the other but I'd say that with the majority of the robots we produce most of the work lies with the mechanical side since the robots usually don't think but are just programmed to do a set of moves over and over. Also I take it that you are an EE.

AlexES16 said:

Are you asking or telling? Because it seems like you're ignoring peoples replies and trying to justify why you think it's more to do with electrical engineering. Robotics and mechatronics take important things from both mechanical and electrical engineering - which is why robotics and mechatronics are separate disciplines (and not just another mechanical degree).

Klockan3 said:
A robot is a mechanical machine guided by electronics, neither part is more important than the other but I'd say that with the majority of the robots we produce most of the work lies with the mechanical side since the robots usually don't think but are just programmed to do a set of moves over and over. Also I take it that you are an EE.

No. I am looking for a career

fasterthanjoao said:
Are you asking or telling? Because it seems like you're ignoring peoples replies and trying to justify why you think it's more to do with electrical engineering. Robotics and mechatronics take important things from both mechanical and electrical engineering - which is why robotics and mechatronics are separate disciplines (and not just another mechanical degree).

Dont get me wrong is just what i think, maybe is becouse i am intersted in how the robots are controled, that's why i am more interested in EE.

Honestly, don't get caught up in semantics and draw an absolute distinction between ME and EE. Mechatronics and controls are fundamentally interdisciplinary fields. Therefore ME and EE can both claim equal stake to them.

spinnaz said:
Honestly, don't get caught up in semantics and draw an absolute distinction between ME and EE. Mechatronics and controls are fundamentally interdisciplinary fields. Therefore ME and EE can both claim equal stake to them.

There is a more more reasonable answer

AlexES16 said:
Dont get me wrong is just what i think, maybe is becouse i am intersted in how the robots are controled, that's why i am more interested in EE.
You can't control something if you don't know what you control which is why you need mech.

Related to Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity ?

1. Why is robotics and mechatronics a part of mechanical engineering if it involves electricity?

Robotics and mechatronics are interdisciplinary fields that combine principles of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and develop advanced systems and machines. While mechanical engineering focuses on the design and functionality of physical systems, robotics and mechatronics incorporate electrical components to control and automate these systems. Therefore, a strong understanding of both mechanical and electrical principles is necessary to excel in this field.

2. Can a mechanical engineer specialize in robotics and mechatronics?

Yes, many mechanical engineering programs offer specialized tracks or concentrations in robotics and mechatronics. These programs provide students with a strong foundation in traditional mechanical engineering principles, as well as courses in electrical engineering and computer science specific to robotics and mechatronics.

3. How does studying robotics and mechatronics benefit a mechanical engineer?

Studying robotics and mechatronics can greatly benefit a mechanical engineer by expanding their knowledge and skills in areas such as control systems, sensors and actuators, and programming. This knowledge can be applied to a variety of industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, and automotive, allowing mechanical engineers to design and develop advanced and innovative systems.

4. Are there job opportunities specifically for mechanical engineers in the field of robotics and mechatronics?

Yes, there are many job opportunities for mechanical engineers in the field of robotics and mechatronics. These can include roles such as robotics engineer, mechatronics engineer, automation engineer, and control systems engineer. Many companies in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and defense are looking for mechanical engineers with knowledge and skills in robotics and mechatronics.

5. Is it necessary for a mechanical engineer to have a background in electrical engineering to work in robotics and mechatronics?

While a background in electrical engineering can be beneficial for a mechanical engineer working in robotics and mechatronics, it is not always necessary. Many mechanical engineering programs offer courses in electrical engineering specifically related to robotics and mechatronics, allowing mechanical engineers to develop the necessary skills for this field. Additionally, hands-on experience and continuous learning can also help a mechanical engineer excel in robotics and mechatronics without a formal background in electrical engineering.