Why is the answer to this question "No change"

• Thread starter Syndy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary: Temperature equilibrium means that the temperature of the system is the same as the equilibrium temperature of the separate parts, while mechanical equilibrium means that the moving parts are in equilibrium with each other.In summary, the pressure in the piston will change if the outside pressure changes, but temperature changes won't change anything.
Syndy
image.jpg

http://postimage.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, look at the piston. The force downwards is: (Atmospheric pressure)*(piston area) plus (sum of the masses of the piston and the weights)*g. These are not temperature dependent. If the piston is to stay where it is, the force upwards from the air below the piston (which is (air pressure)*(piston area)) must equal the force downward. Hence: The air pressure must stay constant.

Ok . Thank you very much.

I don't think that's correct. The example shown days nothing about the outside air. The pressure of the air inside the piston should absolutely change.

Drakkith said:
The pressure of the air inside the piston should absolutely change.
I think they mean the pressure after a new equilibrium was found.

Drakkith said:
I don't think that's correct. The example shown days nothing about the outside air. The pressure of the air inside the piston should absolutely change.

Not as I read the problem... The volume will change in such as a way as to maintain a constant pressure.

A.T. said:
I think they mean the pressure after a new equilibrium was found.

Okay. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about after equilibrium.

Pressure in the piston will change if the outside pressure changes, but temperature changes won't change anything.
Even far away from a temperature equilibrium the piston will still be in mechanical equilibrium (unless you change the temperature with an explosion...).

mfb said:
Pressure in the piston will change if the outside pressure changes, but temperature changes won't change anything.
Even far away from a temperature equilibrium the piston will still be in mechanical equilibrium (unless you change the temperature with an explosion...).

Can you elaborate on this?

Force equilibrium, as Svein explained. If the (frictionless) piston does not move, pressure from below multiplied by the area is equal to pressure above multiplied by the area plus the weight of piston and the added weights. If we assume that pressure outside does not change, and we do not change the weights, pressure inside won't change.

I think there's some confusion. I was under the impression that we weren't taking the outside air into account since the 'air' is labeled as being inside the piston.

It is not given that we have a vacuum outside so air is a natural assumption - but even that does not matter because the answer "the pressure does not change" is independent of the absolute pressure.

Oh oh oh, I get it now. I was confused by 'temperature equilibrium' vs 'mechanical equilibrium'.

1. Why is the answer to this question "No change"?

The answer to this question is "No change" because there is no evidence or data to support any change occurring. It is also possible that the question is about a constant or unchanging situation or concept.

2. What does "No change" mean in this context?

"No change" in this context means that there is no difference or alteration from the previous state or condition. It can also indicate that there has been no progress or development in a certain aspect.

3. Is "No change" the final answer?

It depends on the question and the context. "No change" can be a final answer if there is no possibility of any change occurring. However, it can also be a temporary answer if more information or data is needed to make a final conclusion.

4. Can "No change" be a positive outcome?

Yes, "No change" can be a positive outcome in certain situations. For example, if a medical test shows no change in a patient's condition, it can mean that their health has not worsened. It can also indicate stability or consistency in a process or system.

5. How can "No change" affect future decisions?

"No change" can affect future decisions by providing a baseline or reference point for comparison. It can also indicate that a certain course of action is not necessary or effective, and thus, alternative approaches should be considered. Additionally, "No change" can prompt further investigation or research to understand the reasons behind it.