Why Is the Calculated Force Excessive for Lifting the Barbell?

• Thread starter treyh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the athlete with a mass of 86.5 kg performed weight-lifting exercises with a barbell weighing 470 N. With a constant acceleration of 25 m/s^2, he lifted the barbell a distance of 0.50 m in 2.0 s, resulting in a total force exerted on his feet of 1317.7N. However, using the equations F=ma and d = a*t^2, the calculated total force is 2516.7N, suggesting a potential error in the calculations. Clarification on the question being asked is needed for further assistance.
treyh
An athlete whose mass is 86.5 kg is performing weight-lifting exercises. Starting from the rest position, he lifts, with constant acceleration, a barbell that weighs 470 N. He lifts the barbell a distance of 0.50 m in a time of 2.0 s.

I cannot seem to find the answer to this. This is what i did:

- I found the total force exerted on the feet by doing: 86.5*9.8 + 470N = 1317.7N
- Then I used d = a*t^2 and got that the acceleration is 25m/s^2
- Then i found the mass of the barbell by doing 470N/9.8 and got 47.96kg.
- After using F=ma i added the two forces and got the answer 2516.7N.

This isn't the right answer. What did i do wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi treyh! :smile:
treyh said:
An athlete whose mass is 86.5 kg is performing weight-lifting exercises. Starting from the rest position, he lifts, with constant acceleration, a barbell that weighs 470 N. He lifts the barbell a distance of 0.50 m in a time of 2.0 s.

i don't understand the question :redface:

is his body remaining stationary (apart from his arms)?

or is his centre of mass also moving up 0.50 m ? :confused:

treyh said:

I cannot seem to find the answer to this. This is what i did:

- I found the total force exerted on the feet by doing: 86.5*9.8 + 470N = 1317.7N
- Then I used d = a*t^2 and got that the acceleration is 25m/s^2
- Then i found the mass of the barbell by doing 470N/9.8 and got 47.96kg.
- After using F=ma i added the two forces and got the answer 2516.7N.

This isn't the right answer. What did i do wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I just read the original post very carefully, but the only question mark I found was at the end of " What did I do wrong?"

I am tempted to reply: " You didn't ask a question?"

The line I highlighted red above is interesting. If an object falls under the influence of gravity - with an acceleration a little under 10 m/s^2 - it covers just under 20m in 2 seconds. This barbell covered only 0.5 m in 2 seconds yet you said the acceleration was 25 m/s^2 - more than double the acceleration due to gravity ??

1. What is total force?

Total force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. It includes both magnitude and direction and is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How do you calculate total force?

To calculate total force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done using vector addition, where you take into account both magnitude and direction of each force.

3. What are the different types of forces that contribute to total force?

There are several types of forces that contribute to total force, such as gravitational force, frictional force, normal force, tension force, and applied force.

4. Can total force be negative?

Yes, total force can be negative if the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions. This indicates that the net force on the object is in the direction of the smaller force.

5. How is total force used in real-life situations?

Total force is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the weight of an object, predicting the motion of an object, and designing structures that can withstand certain forces, such as wind or earthquakes.