Why is the entropy value of this steady flow open system not equal to zero?

tracker890 Source h
Homework Statement
To determine system entropy in a steady flow
Relevant Equations
entropy balance in a steady flow
1691835998931.png

Q: Why the entropy value of this steady flow open system is not equal to zero?
My idea is as represented by the following equation.
$$
\frac{dS_{sys}}{dt}=0,\,\,\,\,dt\ne 0
$$
$$
\therefore dS_{sys}=0\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\therefore ∆Ssys=∆Sair=0
$$
$$
\therefore ∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=∆\overset{\cdot}{S}air=0
$$
reference. 7-25answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is the air. Just because the system is at steady state, that does not mean that the properties of the air exiting the compressor are the same as the properties of the air entering. Are you familiar with the open system (control volume) version of the 1st law of thermodynamics. If so, please write it down for this system operating at steady state.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
The system is the air. Just because the system is at steady state, that does not mean that the properties of the air exiting the compressor are the same as the properties of the air exiting. Are you familiar with the open system (control volume) version of the 1st law of thermodynamics. If so, please write it down for this system operating at steady state.
My thoughts are as follows, but I'm not sure if they are correct.
$$
∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=\frac{dS_{sys}}{dt}=\left( \overset{.}{S}_{in}-\overset{.}{S}_{out} \right) +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}=\left( \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_{in\ sys}}{T_{sys}}}+\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}-}\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}} \right) +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}
$$
$$
may\ be\ \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_{in\ sys}}{T_{sys}}}\ne 0,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}}\ne 0,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}}\ne 0,\overset{.}{S}_{gen}\ne 0,
$$
$$
but\ ∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=0\ in\ steady\ flow\ system
$$

Last edited:
tracker890 Source h said:
My thoughts are as follows, but I'm not sure if they are correct.
$$
∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=\sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_{in\ sys}}{T_{sys}}}+\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{input}-}\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{output}}+\overset{.}{S}_{gen}
$$
$$
may\ be\ \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_{in\ sys}}{T_{sys}}}\ne 0,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{input}}\ne 0,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{output}}\ne 0,\overset{.}{S}_{gen}\ne 0,
$$
$$
but\ ∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=0 in steady flow system
$$
They are looking for ##\dot{S}_{out}-\dot{S}_{in}##

Chestermiller said:
They are looking for ##\dot{S}_{out}-\dot{S}_{in}##
Apologies, I cannot understand the content of your reply. Could you please provide more details, thank you.

And I think the key is:
$$
\frac{dS_{sys}}{dt}=0,\,\,\,\,dt\ne 0\ \ \therefore dS_{sys}=0\,\,\,\,\,\,
$$
reference

Apologies, I cannot understand the content of your reply. Could you please provide more details, thank you.

And I think the key is:
$$
$$
reference
They are looking for $$\dot{S}_{out}-\dot{S}_{in}=\frac{\dot{Q}}{T_I}+\dot{\sigma}$$ where ##T_I## is the temperature at the interface between the system and surroundings. The term ##\frac{\dot{Q}}{T_{system}}## in your reference is incorrect.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
They are looking for $$\dot{S}_{out}-\dot{S}_{in}=\frac{\dot{Q}}{T_I}-T_I\dot{\sigma}$$ where ##T_I## is the temperature at the interface between the system and surroundings. The term ##\frac{\dot{Q}}{T_{system}}## in your reference is incorrect.
"What you said is correct, but how do we prove that the equation below is incorrect?
$$
$$

"What you said is correct, but how do we prove that the equation below is incorrect?
$$
$$
"the system is at steady state..."

Chestermiller said:
"the system is at steady state..."
so the system is unsteady?

so the system is unsteady?
No. The system is steady. At any location in the system, all thermodynamic parameters are constant in time. But the parameters vary with location through the system.

Chestermiller said:
No. The system is steady. At any location in the system, all thermodynamic parameters are constant in time. But the parameters vary with location through the system.
So, the conclusion is as follows, correct?
$$
∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=\frac{dS_{sys}}{dt}=\left( \overset{.}{S}_{in}-\overset{.}{S}_{out} \right) +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}=\left( \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_k}{T_k}}+\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}-}\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}} \right) +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}
$$
$$
may\ be\ \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_k}{T_k}}\ne or=0\ ,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}}\ne or=0,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}}\ne or=0,\overset{.}{S}_{gen}\ne or=0,$$
but in any case, when the system is a steady flow system, ##∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=0##.

ref. Youtube teach

Last edited:
So, the conclusion is as follows, correct?
$$
∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=\frac{dS_{sys}}{dt}=\left( \overset{.}{S}_{in}-\overset{.}{S}_{out} \right) +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}=\left( \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_k}{T_k}}+\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}-}\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}} \right) +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}
$$
$$
may\ be\ \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_k}{T_k}}\ne or=0\ ,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}}\ne or=0,\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}}\ne or=0,\overset{.}{S}_{gen}\ne or=0,$$
but in any case, when the system is a steady flow system, ##∆\overset{\cdot}{S}sys=0##.

ref. Youtube teach
No. The correct equation is:
$$
\frac{dS_{sys}}{dt}= \sum{\frac{\overset{.}{Q}_k}{T_k}}+\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,input}-}\sum{\overset{.}{S}_{mass,output}} +\overset{.}{S}_{gen}=0
$$

• Informative
Likes tracker890 Source h

1. What is entropy and why is it important in a steady flow open system?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a steady flow open system, the entropy value indicates the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work. It is an important concept in thermodynamics and helps us understand the efficiency and limitations of energy conversion processes.

2. Why is the entropy value of a steady flow open system not equal to zero?

In a steady flow open system, there is a constant exchange of matter and energy with the surroundings. This constant flow of energy and matter leads to an increase in disorder and randomness, resulting in a non-zero entropy value. In other words, the system is constantly undergoing change and cannot reach a state of complete order.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to the non-zero entropy value in a steady flow open system?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In a steady flow open system, the entropy value may remain constant, but it will never decrease to zero. This is because the system is constantly exchanging energy and matter with the surroundings, leading to an increase in entropy.

4. Can the entropy value of a steady flow open system be reduced?

No, the entropy value of a steady flow open system cannot be reduced. As mentioned before, the constant exchange of energy and matter with the surroundings leads to an increase in entropy. However, it is possible to minimize the increase in entropy by optimizing the system's design and processes.

5. How is the entropy value of a steady flow open system calculated?

The entropy value of a steady flow open system can be calculated using the formula S = Q/T, where S is the entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the absolute temperature. This formula is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in entropy is equal to the heat transferred divided by the absolute temperature.