Why is the equation for beta decay written as e- = 0 and what does it mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used in a beta decay equation and how it represents the conversion of a neutron into a proton and an electron. The notation includes a superscript for the mass number and a subscript for the charge, where the electron is written as if it were an isotope. The conversation also touches on the rounding off of the electron's mass compared to the proton's mass.
bsodmike
I was reading a text, describing the following disintegration:

[itex]^{234}_{90}Th\xrightarrow{}~^{0}_{-1}e+~^{234}_{91}Pa[/itex]

However, I prefer to understand it as,

[tex]^{234}_{90}Th\xrightarrow{}~e^{-}+~^{234}_{91}Pa[/tex]

Of course, the above two equations are missing out the antineutrino. Could someone please enlighten me why,

[tex]e^{-}\equiv~^{0}_{-1}e[/tex]

Am I supposed to read it as, p+n =0 but it contains a 'negative' proton number, i.e. a negative proton = an electron (although an electron has a mass of 1/1840 of that of a proton)

Cheers,
Mike.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In a beta decay a neutron converts into a proton and an electron.
The electron (the beta) is emitted but the proton remains in the nucleus changing the element to the next along in the table

mgb_phys said:
In a beta decay a neutron converts into a proton and an electron.
The electron (the beta) is emitted but the proton remains in the nucleus changing the element to the next along in the table

Oh no mgb_phy, that bit is quite clear. My question was more regarding this notation:

bsodmike said:
My question was more regarding this notation:
The text is using a notation where the left superscript is the mass number, which is zero for an electron since the mass number is a roundoff of the mass in units of the nucleon mass to the nearest integer. The left subscript is the charge. It is not my favorite notation, but it agrees with rough conservation laws.

clem said:
The text is using a notation where the left superscript is the mass number, which is zero for an electron since the mass number is a roundoff of the mass in units of the nucleon mass to the nearest integer.

Is this a rounding of off,

[tex]m_e=\dfrac{m_p}{1836} = 9.109382\times 10^{-31}\approx~0[/tex]

clem said:
It is not my favorite notation, but it agrees with rough conservation laws.

I agree, I too prefer simply using [tex]e^-[/tex]. I find [tex]^{0}_{-1}e [/tex] rather tedious.

Putting the subscript and superscript in front of the e is totally nonstandard notation. I think the author of the textbook just wanted to make it easier to see how the masses and charges add up.

bcrowell said:
Putting the subscript and superscript in front of the e is totally nonstandard notation. I think the author of the textbook just wanted to make it easier to see how the masses and charges add up.

Now that I think about it, you're quite right.

[tex]^{234}_{90}Th\xrightarrow{}~^{0}_{-1}e+~^{234}_{91}Pa [/tex]

From a purely 'summation' perspective one would read the right hand side as 91 - 1 = 90, what we started with. It's just rather 'fiddly' imho, as the electron is simply a result of the neutron converting into a proton in the nucleus. It's just with the above notation, the 'lost' proton is simply accounted for by the subscript '-1'.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice :)

bsodmike said:
Oh no mgb_phy, that bit is quite clear. My question was more regarding this notation:

Sorry, Yes - the author is writing an electron as if it were an isotope. Never seen it written like this before but it makes a certain amount of sense I suppose

bsodmike said:
Is this a rounding of off,

[tex]m_e=\dfrac{m_p}{1836} = 9.109382\times 10^{-31}\approx~0[/tex]

Eh no!

Zero is not the same that 0 eV or 0 Kgr.

The rounding off is

[tex]\dfrac{me}{m_p}\approx~\dfrac{1}{1836} \approx~0 [/tex]

arivero said:
The rounding off is

[tex]\dfrac{me}{m_p}\approx~\dfrac{1}{1836} \approx~0 [/tex]

Ah! I completely forgot the units; thanks for pointing that out.

Related to Why is the equation for beta decay written as e- = 0 and what does it mean?

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay that occurs in certain unstable atoms. In beta decay, a neutron in the nucleus of an atom is converted into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino, or a proton is converted into a neutron, a positron, and a neutrino. This process changes the atomic number of the atom and can result in the emission of radiation.

2. What are the types of beta decay?

There are two types of beta decay: beta-minus decay and beta-plus decay. In beta-minus decay, a neutron is converted into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. In beta-plus decay, a proton is converted into a neutron, a positron, and a neutrino. Both types of beta decay result in the emission of radiation.

3. What is the role of the weak nuclear force in beta decay?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for beta decay. This force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the radioactive decay of unstable atoms. In beta decay, the weak nuclear force changes the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom, resulting in the conversion of one particle into another.

4. How is beta decay used in scientific research?

Beta decay is used in scientific research in several ways. It can be used to study the properties of unstable atoms and their half-lives, which can provide valuable information about the stability of different elements. Beta decay can also be used in medical imaging, such as in PET scans, to detect and study the distribution of radioactive atoms in the body.

5. How is beta decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

Beta decay is different from other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha decay and gamma decay, because it involves the conversion of one type of particle into another. In alpha decay, a nucleus emits an alpha particle, which is made up of two protons and two neutrons. In gamma decay, a nucleus emits a gamma ray, which is a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation. Beta decay, on the other hand, involves the conversion of a neutron or a proton into a different type of particle, resulting in a change in the atomic number of the atom.