Why is the girl and the sled accelerating in opposite directions?

In summary, a 40kg girl and an 8.4 kg sled are connected by a rope on a frictionless ice of a frozen lake. The girl exerts a horizontal 5.2 N force on the rope. The acceleration magnitudes for the sled and girl are 0.62 m/s2 and 0.13 m/s2 respectively. They meet at a distance from the girl's initial position. The accelerations are in opposite directions, but towards each other, and the girl cannot walk on the ice due to its idealized frictionless state.
dwdoyle8854

Homework Statement

A 40kg girl and an 8.4 kg sled are on the frictionless ice of afrozen lake, 15m apart but connected by a rope of negligible mass. The girl exerts a horizontal 5.2 N force on the rope. Whatare the aceleration magnitudes of a) the sled and b) the girl? c) How far from the firls initial position do they meet?

Homework Equations

f = ma
Δx=V0t + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is easy enough until part c) where the solution manual and I disagree.
The solution manual states "The accelerations of the sled and girl are in opposite directions."
and i just can't imagine why.

In parts a) and b) i find the magnitudes of the accelerations for the girl and sled respectively to be
0.62 m/s2 = asled
0.13 m/s2 = agirl

to solve for when the collision i guess happens i set
xfinal, girl=xfinal, sled

and solving for time:
t=√( (2x0, girl/(asled - agirl) )

the solution manual however has:
t=√( (2x0, girl/(asled + agirl) )
which is because they state the girl is accelerating in the opposite direction of the sled.
But the girl is pulling on the sled, and everything is frictionless. How could she be accelerating in the opposite direction of the sled if she is pulling it?

freebody diagram of girl, x-axis

<--5.2N--(:smile:)--5.2N--> by Newtons 3rd law.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwdoyle8854 said:

Homework Statement

A 40kg girl and an 8.4 kg sled are on the frictionless ice of afrozen lake, 15m apart but connected by a rope of negligible mass. The girl exerts a horizontal 5.2 N force on the rope. Whatare the aceleration magnitudes of a) the sled and b) the girl? c) How far from the firls initial position do they meet?

Homework Equations

f = ma
Δx=V0t + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is easy enough until part c) where the solution manual and I disagree.
The solution manual states "The accelerations of the sled and girl are in opposite directions."
and i just can't imagine why.

In parts a) and b) i find the magnitudes of the accelerations for the girl and sled respectively to be
0.62 m/s2 = asled
0.13 m/s2 = agirl

to solve for when the collision i guess happens i set
xfinal, girl=xfinal, sled

and solving for time:
t=√( (2x0, girl/(asled - agirl) )

the solution manual however has:
t=√( (2x0, girl/(asled + agirl) )
which is because they state the girl is accelerating in the opposite direction of the sled.
But the girl is pulling on the sled, and everything is frictionless. How could she be accelerating in the opposite direction of the sled if she is pulling it?

freebody diagram of girl, x-axis

<--5.2N--(:smile:)--5.2N--> by Newtons 3rd law.
Conservation of Momentum.

The accelerations are in opposite directions, but towards each other.

SammyS said:
Conservation of Momentum.

The accelerations are in opposite directions, but towards each other.

okay, so

(sled)--------(girl)

(sled)--5.2N--> <--5.2N--(girl)

is this a better diagram?

So, i guess the little scenario I have in my head isn't what the question proposes. The girl is pulling the thing, but moving toward the sled? She isn't walking along pulling the sled behind her?

Well, i guess that solves it. Cheers.

dwdoyle8854 said:
The girl is pulling the thing, but moving toward the sled? She isn't walking along pulling the sled behind her?
Since the ice is frictionless, she could not walk on it (this is idealized ice).

So, i guess the little scenario I have in my head isn't what the question proposes. The girl is pulling the thing, but moving toward the sled? She isn't walking along pulling the sled behind her?

That's correct. She's pulling it towards her and the sled it pulling her towards it.

It's impossible for her to walk along pulling the sled behind her because the ice is described as frictionless.

1. Why is there a girl on the sled in the first place?

There could be several reasons for this. The girl could be sledding for fun or transportation, or she could be participating in a sport or activity that involves sledding.

2. What causes the girl and the sled to accelerate in opposite directions?

The main cause of the girl and the sled accelerating in opposite directions is the force of friction. The sled is in contact with the ground, which creates a force that pushes against the direction of motion, causing the sled to slow down. The girl, on the other hand, is not in direct contact with the ground and is able to maintain her speed, resulting in the opposite direction of acceleration.

3. Is it possible for the girl and the sled to accelerate in the same direction?

Yes, it is possible for the girl and the sled to accelerate in the same direction. This could happen if the girl is actively pushing the sled forward or if there is a force acting on both the girl and the sled in the same direction.

4. What other factors could affect the acceleration of the girl and the sled?

Other factors that could affect the acceleration of the girl and the sled include the weight of the girl and the sled, the slope of the terrain, and the type of surface the sled is on. The presence of external forces, such as wind or other objects, could also affect the acceleration.

5. How does Newton's Laws of Motion apply to the girl and the sled?

Newton's Laws of Motion explain the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. In this scenario, the first law states that the girl and the sled will continue moving at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force, such as friction. The second law explains that the acceleration of the girl and the sled is directly proportional to the net force acting on them. Finally, the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can be seen in the opposite directions of acceleration between the girl and the sled.