Why is the integral of a(x) different from the integral of a(t)?

In summary, the first time poster attempted to solve a problem involving kinetic energy, but made a mistake in the calculation. The second time poster used Wolfram Alpha to solve the problem and got the correct answer.
Elias Waranoi
Hello! First time poster, please treat me well! :wink: I've already solved the problem below on my second attempt with the help of kinetic energy but I want to know why my first attempt gives a wrong answer.

1. Homework Statement

A force in the +x-direction with magnitude F(x) = 18.0 N - (0.530 N/m)x is applied to a 6.00-kg box that is sitting on the horizontal, frictionless surface of a frozen lake. F(x) is the only horizontal force on the box. If the box is initially at rest at x = 0, what is its speed after it has traveled 14.0 m?

Homework Equations

a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

F(x) = 18.0 - 0.530x =>
a(x) = 18.0/m - 0.530x/m =>
Integrate =>
v(x) = 18.0x/m - 0.530x2/2m = 3x - 0.530/12 x2
v(14) = 33.3

Why is this incorrect? I'm guessing that the integral of a(t) is velocity but the integral of a(x) is something else.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF :smile:

Elias Waranoi said:
a(x) = 18.0/m - 0.530x/m =>
Integrate =>
v(x) = 18.0x/m - 0.530x2/m
When you integrate x, you don't just get x^2... :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF :smile:When you integrate x, you don't just get x^2... :smile:
Oops, I edited my question. The result is still wrong though.

Elias Waranoi said:
v(x) = 18.0x/m - 0.530x2/2m = 3x - 0.530/12 x2
v(14) = 33.3
Looks like it's just a math error when you plug in x=14. Try again?

berkeman said:
Looks like it's just a math error when you plug in x=14. Try again?
I typed this into wolfram alpha "3*14 - 0.53/12*14^2" and got 33.3. When I use W = K2 - K1, W = F*s with the average force from x = 0 to x = 14 I get the velocity at 14 meters to be 8.17 which is the correct answer.

Elias Waranoi said:
I'm guessing that the integral of a(t) is velocity but the integral of a(x) is something else.
Exactly. If you integrate F(x)dx, you can calculate the work and thus the change in KE.

Elias Waranoi said:
"3*14 - 0.53/12*14^2"
You should use parenthesis, I believe. x^2 is not in the denominator...

Doc Al said:
Exactly. If you integrate F(x)dx, you can calculate the work and thus the change in KE.
Ah, so the choice of integral is wrong, regardless of errors in the integration. Thanks Doc.

Doc Al said:
Ahh, so if F(x)dx integrated is work I'm guessing that integrating a unit1 with unit2 equals unit1*unit2. So when I integrated a(x)dx I actually got meter2/time2 instead of velocity. Is this correct?

Elias Waranoi said:
Ahh, so if F(x)dx integrated is work I'm guessing that integrating a unit1 with unit2 equals unit1*unit2. So when I integrated a(x)dx I actually got meter2/time2 instead of velocity. Is this correct?
That's true.

Likes Elias Waranoi
Elias Waranoi said:
the integral of a(t) is velocity but the integral of a(x) is something else.
It is easy to get confused here.
It depends whether you are thinking of a as the physical entity acceleration or as purely a mathematical function.
As a physical entity, it's not whether you think of a as a function of time or of displacement that matters. What matters is what you integrate with respect to, as you figured out. Integration wrt a variable is akin to multiplication by that variable. ∫a.dt gives Δv, while ∫a.dx gives Δ(v2)/2.
If you are given a as a function of displacement, ∫a.dt still yields velocity, but how are you to perform the integral? E.g. if told a=kx3, your integral is ∫kx3.dt. Since you do not know what x is as a function of t this is not directly solvable. If you are told the total displacement then you can use ∫a.dx instead to find the velocity, but what if you are only told the elapsed time? In that case you would have to write out and solve the differential equation.

Likes Elias Waranoi

1. What is force?

Force is any influence that causes an object to undergo a change in motion or shape. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The standard unit of force is the Newton (N).

2. How is force measured?

Force can be measured using various instruments, such as a spring scale or a force sensor. The measurement is typically recorded in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). In physics, force is commonly calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is integration in physics?

In physics, integration is the process of finding the total or net value of a quantity by adding together infinitesimal values over a given interval. It is commonly used to find displacement, velocity, and acceleration from a graph of position vs. time.

4. Why is force and integration important in physics?

Force and integration are fundamental concepts in physics that are essential for understanding motion and interactions between objects. They are used in many areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

5. What are some real-life examples of force and integration?

Examples of force and integration in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, lifting weights at the gym, and throwing a ball. These actions involve applying a force and integrating the resulting motion to achieve a desired outcome. In engineering, force and integration are used to design structures, bridges, and machines that can withstand and utilize various forces.