Why is the lowest energy level close to the center?

In summary, The higher energy level is farther from the center of the atom because of the balance between energy and distance from the nucleus. This is true for the simplest orbitals, but not necessarily for all orbitals as it depends on the symmetry and probability density. In general, higher energy levels correspond to a higher total energy of the atom, meaning that it takes less energy to remove an electron from the atom.
LordWhiplash
TL;DR Summary
This probably is a dumb question, but I need to understand the reason instead of just accepting it.
While studying photon emission, I noticed that I never really understood why the higher energy level is farther from the center of the atom. To me it seems counterintuitive, because usually the forces of attraction are greater at shorter distances, which would imply a higher energy consumption to remove an electron near the nucleus, not the opposite.

Thanks for the help/answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
LordWhiplash said:
I never really understood why the higher energy level is farther from the center of the atom

This actually isn't always true. But it's true for the simplest orbitals, the ##s## orbitals (the ones with zero orbital angular momentum), and so it's a reasonable first approximation for understanding the basics.

LordWhiplash said:
the forces of attraction are greater at shorter distances, which would imply a higher energy consumption to remove an electron near the nucleus

Yes, and "higher energy consumption to remove the electron from the atom" means "lower total energy of the atom", i.e., lower energy level. Conversely, "higher energy level" means "higher total energy of the atom", meaning "lower energy consumption to remove the electron from the atom".

LordWhiplash said:
Summary:: This probably is a dumb question, but I need to understand the reason instead of just accepting it.

While studying photon emission, I noticed that I never really understood why the higher energy level is farther from the center of the atom. To me it seems counterintuitive, because usually the forces of attraction are greater at shorter distances, which would imply a higher energy consumption to remove an electron near the nucleus, not the opposite.

Thanks for the help/answer!

Picture this analogy (you = electron): you are in a hole in the ground. As you climb up the hole you are increasing your gravitational potential energy and yet the gravitational force on you is a tiny bit smaller. If you fall down you convert that energy to kinetic energy (electrons instead emit photons). If you climb out of the hole you are free from the hole (like an ionized electron).

PeterDonis said:
This actually isn't always true. But it's true for the simplest orbitals, the ##s## orbitals (the ones with zero orbital angular momentum), and so it's a reasonable first approximation for understanding the basics.

Are you thinking of the maximum in the probability density?

From the plots I've seen the on average the probability density shifts farther from the nucleus. This must be true because the energy of the state would depend on the weight of the wave function at each point in the potential well.

LordWhiplash said:
To me it seems counterintuitive, because usually the forces of attraction are greater at shorter distances, which would imply a higher energy consumption to remove an electron near the nucleus, not the opposite.

That means you have to input energy to get the electron away from the nucleus. The closer the electron is the more energy you have to input to free it. To turn that round, an electron lost more energy getting to the lower orbital in the first place.

This is the same in the classical, gravitational case, where the total energy of an object in a circular orbit is less for a smaller orbit.

Dr_Nate said:
Are you thinking of the maximum in the probability density?

For the ##s## orbitals, yes, because those are spherically symmetric so the probability density is only a function of distance from the center.

For other orbitals, the probability density is also a function of angle, not just distance from the center, so the concept of "farther from the center" isn't even well defined, strictly speaking. But even if you take an average over all angles, it's not true that higher energy always corresponds to farther from the center, because for orbitals with ##l = 0## the energy is no longer just a function of position in the potential well.

1. Why is the lowest energy level close to the center?

The lowest energy level is close to the center because of the attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons. The closer the electron is to the nucleus, the stronger the force of attraction, resulting in a lower energy state.

2. Does the distance from the nucleus affect the energy level?

Yes, the distance from the nucleus does affect the energy level. The energy level increases as the distance from the nucleus increases. This is because the force of attraction between the nucleus and the electron decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a higher energy state.

3. How does the number of electrons in an atom affect the energy levels?

The number of electrons in an atom affects the energy levels by filling them in a specific order. Each energy level can hold a certain number of electrons, and as more electrons are added, they fill higher energy levels. The lowest energy level is filled first, followed by the higher energy levels.

4. Why does the lowest energy level have the most stability?

The lowest energy level has the most stability because the electrons in this level are closest to the nucleus and experience the strongest force of attraction. This results in a more stable and lower energy state for the atom.

5. Is the lowest energy level the only stable energy level?

No, the lowest energy level is not the only stable energy level. Each energy level can be considered stable, as they are all filled with electrons and have a specific energy state. However, the lowest energy level is the most stable due to the reasons mentioned above.