Why is the media biased against certain sports teams?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias Sports
In summary: I'm sure most of us know who won that one.In summary, the Flyers completed an epic comeback and won Game 7 against the Bruins.
Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Ok, I'm kidding...or am I? http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/boston-bruins-fail-against-flyers-in-game-7-051410

Why doesn't that title say "Flyers complete epic comeback and win Game 7"? Must be a Boston liberal thing.
I think it's a home town thing.

Philadelphia Inquirer - Flyers top Bruins for historic win
http://www.philly.com/
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/hofmann/game_7.html

Friday, May 14, 2010
Flyers do the impossible
It was a riddle wrapped within an enigma, a microcosm within a microcosm and then raised to some unfathomable power: The Flyers, trailing 3-0 in the series, brought it back to 3-3; the Flyers, tailing Game 7 by 3-0, also brought it back to 3-3.

We have never seen anything like it. We likely never will again.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/hofmann/game_7.html#ixzz0nxo289an

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible to take sports reporting too seriously. It is equally possible to read one's prejudices into reporting on current affairs, and denigrate reports that don't conform to one's mind-set as "propaganda". Of course that never happens here on PF. :rolleyes:

OK, only maybe sometimes. For years, the reports posted on the Huffington post have been denigrated as "Blog posts" and banned, but everything posted on Fox (right-wing info-tainment) is freely accepted with no vetting. I would think that 8 years of Cheney/Bush might have smartened up folks just a bit, but apparently even PF can fall into the trap. Don't rock the boat.

I was wondering why they spun it that way too. After all, it's pretty impressive to come back from a 3-0 hole...

They did the same thing with the Mets and Phillies in 2007 and 2008. Forget how impressive the Phillies' performance was at the end of those seasons, it's all about the *collapse* of the team in the big sports market.

Though I'd point out that Boston got the reverse treatment in the Celts-Cavs series. From the media coverage, you'd think that series didn't even have a winner...

Related to Why is the media biased against certain sports teams?

1. Is there really a liberal bias in sports media?

There is ongoing debate about whether or not there is a liberal bias in sports media. Some argue that sports media tends to lean left in its coverage and commentary, while others believe that it is relatively neutral. Ultimately, the answer may depend on individual perspectives and interpretations of media coverage.

2. What evidence is there for liberal bias in sports media?

Evidence for liberal bias in sports media is often subjective and varies from person to person. Some may point to the political affiliations and beliefs of certain sports journalists or the topics and issues that they choose to cover. Others may point to the language and tone used in sports reporting as indicative of a particular bias.

3. How does liberal bias in sports media affect coverage of games and events?

Liberal bias, if present, may influence the way that games and events are covered in sports media. This could manifest in the selection of which games are broadcasted, the amount of airtime given to certain players or teams, or the way that certain stories are framed and discussed. However, the impact of any bias may vary and is ultimately up for interpretation.

4. Are there any solutions to addressing liberal bias in sports media?

Some may argue that the best way to address liberal bias in sports media is to strive for more diversity and balance in the industry. This could involve promoting a greater range of voices and perspectives in sports journalism and encouraging critical thinking and fact-checking in media coverage.

5. How can we, as consumers, be more aware of liberal bias in sports media?

To be more aware of potential bias in sports media, it is important to consume information from a variety of sources and to critically evaluate the language and tone used in coverage. It may also be helpful to research the background and beliefs of specific journalists or media outlets to better understand their potential biases. Additionally, being open-minded and willing to listen to differing perspectives can help to combat any potential bias in our own consumption of sports media.