Why is the natural frequency of a cantilever beam higher than a spiral spring?

In summary, the natural frequency of a spring is calculated using fn = 1/(2*pi) * sqrt(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass. For a spiral spring, the spring constant is determined by k = E*I/l, where E is the elastic modulus, I is the inertia of the cross section, and l is the length. When the spiral spring is straightened into a cantilevered beam, the natural frequency is determined by f = 1/(2*pi) * sqrt((3*E*I)/(l^3*m)). Plugging in values for a beam with 1 mm width, 10 mm height, and other parameters, the natural frequency of the spiral spring is
Sami Lakka
Hi

Natural frequency of spring is fn = 1/(2*pi) * sqrt(k/m), where k = spring constant and m is the mass.

Ok, so I have a spiral spring which means that spring is coiled couple of times. Its spring constant is (according to Hartog's Mech. Vibrations), k = E*I/l, E=Elastic Modulus, I = Inertia of cross section and l = length. All good at this point.

Now I straighten the coil so I get an cantilevered beam. Its natural frequency is (according Hartog):
f = 1/(2*pi) * sqrt((3*E*I)/(l^3*m))

So assume we have a beam with 1 mm width and 10 mm height. Let's plug couple of values:
E=22*10^9 Pa, I = b^3*h*1/12, b=1*10^-3 m, h= 10*10^-3 m, l = 40*10^-3 m
m = 0.01 kg (just some value)
f (spiral spring) = 1 Hz
f (cantilevered beam) = 46.6 Hz (??)

Why is the natural frequency of the cantilever beam so much higher than the spiral spring? Am I using wrong equations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a standard helical spring, Shigley states the stiffness is:
[tex] k = \frac{d^4 G}{8D^3 N}[/tex]
Where d is the wire diameter, G is the shear modulus, D is the spring diameter, and N is the number of coils. Your formula doesn't take into consideration the number of coils. May I ask where you got it from.

1. What is the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring refers to the frequency at which a spring will oscillate or vibrate when disturbed from its equilibrium position. It is determined by the spring's stiffness and mass.

2. How is the natural frequency of a spring calculated?

The natural frequency of a spring can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(k/m)), where f is the frequency in Hertz (Hz), k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter (N/m), and m is the mass attached to the spring in kilograms (kg).

3. How does the stiffness of a spring affect its natural frequency?

A spring with a higher stiffness or spring constant will have a higher natural frequency. This means that it will oscillate or vibrate at a higher frequency compared to a spring with a lower stiffness.

4. Can the natural frequency of a spring be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a spring can be changed by altering its stiffness or mass. For example, increasing the stiffness of a spring will increase its natural frequency, while increasing the mass attached to the spring will decrease its natural frequency.

5. What factors can affect the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring can be affected by its stiffness, mass, and any external forces or disturbances acting on the spring. Temperature and material properties of the spring can also play a role in its natural frequency.