Why is the open end of a tube a node for a standing wave?

In summary: So the wave does not actually reflect off the open end, but rather it reflects off the change in acoustic impedance at the open end. This causes a phase shift, resulting in a reflected wave that interferes with the incident wave, creating a standing wave pattern inside the tube. In summary, the open end of a tube presents a discontinuity for sound waves due to the change in acoustic impedance, causing a reflected wave that creates a standing wave pattern inside the tube.
kostoglotov
I understand, from my textbook, that certain frequencies of sound (depending on the length of the tube) will reflect off the interface between the air in the tube and the air outside, that this interface is a discontinuity.

But in all other cases where discontinuities caused (partial) reflections of waves (such as in two different strings with different linear densities at the same tension), the reflection was associated (I thought attributed to) the change in velocity of the wave across the mediums.

But the air in the tube is the same as the air outside the tube. Shouldn't the speed of sound waves be the same for the outside air and the air inside the tube? Why is the open end of the tube a discontinuity for sound waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
I understand, from my textbook, that certain frequencies of sound (depending on the length of the tube) will reflect off the interface between the air in the tube and the air outside, that this interface is a discontinuity.

But in all other cases where discontinuities caused (partial) reflections of waves (such as in two different strings with different linear densities at the same tension), the reflection was associated (I thought attributed to) the change in velocity of the wave across the mediums.

But the air in the tube is the same as the air outside the tube. Shouldn't the speed of sound waves be the same for the outside air and the air inside the tube? Why is the open end of the tube a discontinuity for sound waves?
The reflection is determined by the acoustic impedance. It is not the same for the air in the tube as the air in the free space. So there is reflection even at open end.
Sound is a pressure wave. At the open end, the pressure is he same both inside and outside of the tube, The pressure variation is zero: it is a node of the sound wave.

1. Why is the open end of a tube a node for a standing wave?

The open end of a tube is a node for a standing wave because it is the point where there is zero displacement of the particles in the medium. This means that the particles at the open end are not moving and thus, cannot contribute to the formation of the standing wave.

2. How does the open end of a tube affect the formation of a standing wave?

The open end of a tube plays a crucial role in the formation of a standing wave. It creates a point of reflection for the wave, causing it to interfere with the incoming wave and form a standing wave pattern.

3. Can a standing wave be formed without an open end of a tube?

No, a standing wave cannot be formed without an open end of a tube. The open end is necessary for the wave to reflect and interfere with itself, creating the characteristic pattern of a standing wave.

4. Why is the open end of a tube considered a boundary for a standing wave?

The open end of a tube is considered a boundary for a standing wave because it marks the end of the medium through which the wave is traveling. At this point, the wave is reflected and interferes with itself, creating the standing wave pattern.

5. How does the length of the tube affect the location of the open end as a node for a standing wave?

The length of the tube directly affects the location of the open end as a node for a standing wave. The longer the tube, the farther the open end will be from the fixed end, and the lower the frequency of the standing wave will be. This is because the wavelength of the standing wave is directly proportional to the length of the tube.