Why is the Sabine equation considered an equation, but not a law?

In summary, the question of why the Sabine equation is not considered a law is mostly a matter of historical terminology. In the past, established results were often called laws, but this is less common nowadays. The unit of acoustic absorption, the sabin, was named after Wallace Sabine for his contributions to physics.
Mohamed Nabil
Hello brothers,
I have been studying much of acoustics recently, and I've been confronted by the following question:

why Sabine equation is not a law?
I mean, It has been used and experimented under certain conditions, and as I get it, that's what you need to call an equation a Law.

I'll appreciate your help among that.
Thank you all,,,

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether something is a called law or not is mostly just a historical accident. In the past it was more fashionable to call solidly established results laws and nowadays it is less so.

Likes Klystron
Wallace Sabine had an acoustics unit, the sabin, named for his contributions to physics.
A unit of acoustic absorption equivalent to the absorption by one square foot of a perfect absorber.

1. Why is the Sabine equation considered an equation?

The Sabine equation is considered an equation because it is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between sound absorption and the physical characteristics of a material. It is used to calculate the sound absorption coefficient of a material, which is necessary for predicting the acoustic performance of a room or building.

2. Why is the Sabine equation not considered a law?

The Sabine equation is not considered a law because it is an empirical equation, meaning it is based on observations and experiments rather than fundamental principles or theories. It is a simplified model that does not take into account all factors that may affect sound absorption, so it cannot be considered a universal law.

3. What is the difference between an equation and a law?

An equation is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between variables, while a law is a scientific principle or rule that is based on fundamental theories and has been proven to be universally true. Laws are more general and fundamental than equations, which are specific and may have limitations.

4. Can the Sabine equation be applied to all materials?

No, the Sabine equation is only applicable to porous materials such as building materials, fabrics, and acoustic panels. It does not apply to non-porous materials like glass or metal, as their sound absorption properties are determined by other factors.

5. Are there any limitations to the Sabine equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the Sabine equation. It is based on certain assumptions and does not take into account all factors that may affect sound absorption, such as temperature, humidity, and air flow. It also does not accurately predict sound absorption at low frequencies or for non-porous materials.