Why is the sum of 1/(n2^n) from 1 to infinity equal to log 2?

In summary, the top answer in the given link uses the fact that the sum from 1 to infinity of 1/(x2^x) is log 2 to solve the problem. This is derived by considering a geometric series and integrating. The final result is -log(1/2), which is equal to log(2).
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just rewrote the thing in the link to only include the part I was having difficulty with.

$$ \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\frac{n}{n+1} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\left(1 - \frac{1}{n+1}\right)=1-\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+1)2^{n+1}}=1-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n2^{n}}$$. The link says that this is equal to $$1-\textstyle\log 2$$ (or less ambiguously, ln 2) which is why I said what I did in the first post. And I'm pretty sure it is true. I wrote a program and I summed from 1 to 100 and I got almost exactly ln 2.

Consider the geometric series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

Then integrating yields

[tex]\int_0^t \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} x^n dx = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \int_0^t x^n dx = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n+1} t^{n+1} = \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{t^n}{n}[/tex]

And thus

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{t^n}{n} = \int_0^t\frac{1}{1-x} dx = -\log|1-t|[/tex]

Filling in ##t=1/2## gives us

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n2^n} = - \log(1/2) = \log(2)[/tex]

I leave it up to you to justify each step in this calculation rigorously.

Related to Why is the sum of 1/(n2^n) from 1 to infinity equal to log 2?

1. What is an infinite series problem?

An infinite series problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. This means that there is no predetermined endpoint or limit to the sequence, making it a challenging problem to solve.

2. How is an infinite series problem different from a finite series problem?

Infinite series problems involve finding the sum of an infinite sequence, while finite series problems only involve finding the sum of a finite sequence with a predetermined endpoint. This makes infinite series problems more complex and difficult to solve.

3. What are some common methods for solving infinite series problems?

Some common methods for solving infinite series problems include using geometric or arithmetic series formulas, using the properties of convergent and divergent series, and using techniques such as telescoping or integration.

4. Can infinite series problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, infinite series problems can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be different ways to approach and manipulate the series, resulting in different sums. However, there can also be only one correct solution, depending on the specific problem.

5. Are there real-world applications for infinite series problems?

Yes, infinite series problems have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, model the growth of a population, or determine the value of an investment over time.