Why is there a growing trend of ignorance towards Special Relativity?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ignorance
In summary: And then, when they inevitably ask "What do you think of Darwin?" We can calmly reply with "I think he's great. He's the one who figured out how evolution works".In summary, people are becoming more and more ignorance with regards to Special Relativity. They do not want to believe it is a theory and are instead insisting that it is a law. Even those who profess to know about it, do not understand it. People are beginning to talk about it more and more, outside of this forum, and it seems to be popping up more and more in conversation with those who do not understand it.
jcsd said:
You are thinking wrongly, SR is about monkeys not men. How can a monkey give birth to a man? That is why SR is wrong.
I think you just hit on the perfect reply to thoses idiots; just go...

"So what your saying is that since monkeys can't give birth to men SR is wrong? Becuase what you just said is just as stupid!"

Physics news on Phys.org
ShawnD said:
About SR, is any of it actually proven? When I see a question in a textbook with something like "you are traveling at 0.98c and you see a man. 2 hours later you see that same man. How much time has passed relative to the man?" and it expects an actual answer, I can't help but think some guy just pulled this out of his ass since such an experiment would be impossible to setup.

Whaaaaaaaa?

Are you serious?

Zz.

And what I also hate is when people go "Why are you so damn defensive about this" when you tell them they are wrong and explain how SR works. I mean it's like people don't want to be told how the world works. Do they seriously read textbooks and think "damn this book is being defensive"?