Why is there a reverse wind current inside my convertible?

In summary, the conversation discussed the experience of riding in a convertible and noticing that the wind was blowing hair forward instead of behind. The person experimented with different positions in the car and observed that the strongest current was in the center, despite their initial theory that it was caused by the air whipping around the windshield. They asked for any possible explanations for this phenomenon and provided additional details such as the speed and make of the car. At 2:25 in the video, it was demonstrated that the air inside the car is circulating due to its interaction with the fast-moving air above.
Fig Neutron
I was riding home with a friend in their convertible and found that, to my mild irritation, my hair was blowing forward rather than behind me. So, as any logical person would do, I stuck my head out the window to confirm that I wasn’t crazy and my hair should indeed be blowing backwards. After assuring myself that at least some things were still right with the world, I began experimenting with placing my hair in different parts of the car. While all places in the resulted in the same outcome, the forward current seemed to be strongest in the center of the car with very little air flow closer to the window. My initial theory was that the air was whipping around the windshield and somehow causing the current, but putting the windows up had little affect (effect?) on the air flow. My only other idea is that the air coming over the windshield could be the cause, but that doesn’t quite make sense in my mind due to the aerodynamics in the car. Does anyone know the cause of the seemingly reversed current inside of the car?

I noticed this at speeds of about 6-70 mph (or about 11-112 kph). When the speed was any lower it was difficult to be certain of the internal wind’s direction. The car was a Mazda Miata.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fig Neutron said:
Does anyone know the cause of the seemingly reversed current inside of the car?

The air inside is circulating, because it is interacting with the fast air above. At 2:25 you see this visualized:

Likes sophiecentaur and Fig Neutron

What is air flow in a convertible?

Air flow in a convertible refers to the movement and circulation of air inside the vehicle, particularly when the convertible top is down.

How does the air flow in a convertible differ from a regular car?

Unlike a regular car, a convertible has the option of an open top, allowing for more air to enter the cabin. This can create a different driving experience and affect the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Does air flow affect the performance of a convertible?

Yes, air flow can affect the performance of a convertible. The open top can create drag, making the car less aerodynamic and potentially impacting fuel efficiency and handling.

How can I control the air flow in a convertible?

You can control the air flow in a convertible by adjusting the windows, vents, and convertible top. Opening the windows and vents can increase air circulation, while closing the convertible top can minimize wind and noise.

Are there any benefits to the air flow in a convertible?

Yes, having an open top can provide a sense of freedom and connection with the outdoors while driving. It can also provide more natural ventilation and reduce the need for air conditioning, potentially saving on fuel and reducing carbon emissions.