Why is there a vertical force on the pin in this static equilibrium setup?

In summary, the diagram shows a static equilibrium set-up with a mass (M) on a board (also called scaffolding) of length L and mass m, which is attached to a wall by a pin and string with tension T at an angle θ. The pin has both horizontal (Fx) and vertical (Fy) forces to maintain equilibrium. The vertical force Fy is necessary to counteract the weight of the block and board and also plays a crucial role in rotational equilibrium. Without the pin, the string alone cannot maintain equilibrium. Additionally, the pin acts as a hinge and is essential for maintaining equilibrium when the string is burnt. The use of Newton's laws is necessary to determine the vertical component of tension and establish static equilibrium
15ongm
Q: Why does the pin have a vertical force in this diagram (Static equilibrium)?

The diagram depicts as follows:
A mass (M) sits a a distance (d) away from the end of a board of length L. The board has a mass of m and is held to a wall by a pin and string. The string has a tension (T) and is at angle θ to the board. The pin is frictionless. The entire set-up is in static equilibrium.
2573hno.jpg

Side note: In the diagram I called the board the scaffolding.

What I don't understand is why the pin has forces (Fy & Fx). I sort of understand why the pin must have a horizontal force (Fx) b/c otherwise there would be no other force to oppose the horizontal competent of tension. What I don't understand is why Fy must exist. To be honest, I don't even understand what Fy really is. Shouldn't the vertical component of the tension be enough to oppose the weight of the block and board? If so, there's no need for another upward vertical force.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the pin stuck to the wall?

15ongm said:
What I don't understand is why Fy must exist
Consider moments about some point (that is not on a vertical line through the pin).

Why not experiment? A short length of timber, a piece of rope tied to one end, and a brick. Is the free end of the plank happy to rest against the wall, or do you need to provide vertical supprt to keep it horizontal?

Once you know what happens in reality you can look for the theory that confirms it.

What about the torque produced by Tsinθ ? What if we look at the net torque about the centre of mass of the plank ? We may need Fy for rotational equilibrium of the plank.

The pin is like a hinge and the name for such forces is Hinge reaction forces.
The vertical component of T might be enough. You have to find it by using Newton's laws.
The hinge reaction plays a very important role when the string is burnt. In such a case, Fx provides centripetal force, while Fy opposes the weight.

AdityaDev said:
The pin is like a hinge and the name for such forces is Hinge reaction forces.
The vertical component of T might be enough. You have to find it by using Newton's laws.
The hinge reaction plays a very important role when the string is burnt. In such a case, Fx provides centripetal force, while Fy opposes the weight.
Could we establish static equilibrium without the pin ? I mean just the plank , and the thread ?

Ananya0107 said:
Could we establish static equilibrium without the pin ? I mean just the plank , and the thread ?
Yes. When you have friction. That is why I said you need to apply Newton's laws. Draw the FBD for the plank.

15ongm said:
Shouldn't the vertical component of the tension be enough to oppose the weight of the block and board?

Would you think the same if the mass m was at the pin end of the board?

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and has no net forces acting on it.

How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is in motion at a constant speed. In static equilibrium, the net force and net torque on the object are both zero, while in dynamic equilibrium, the net force is zero but there may be a non-zero net torque.

What is the equation for calculating static equilibrium?

The equation for calculating static equilibrium is ΣF = 0, where ΣF represents the sum of all forces acting on the object.

How does the center of mass affect static equilibrium?

The center of mass plays a critical role in determining if an object is in static equilibrium. If the center of mass is directly above the base of support, the object is stable and in static equilibrium. However, if the center of mass is outside the base of support, the object will be unstable and may fall.

What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of static equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a person standing still on the ground. All of these objects have no net forces acting on them and are in a state of rest.