Why is there no Aerospace Engineering Forum?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently no separate forum for Aerospace and Astronautics Engineering on Physics Forums. This is because there is not enough activity or demand to justify a separate forum. However, threads related to aerospace can be labeled with a prefix in the Mechanical Engineering forum. This is due to the historical connection between aerospace and mechanical engineering, as aircraft engines were originally developed from internal combustion engines used in automobiles. There is also a group within the Society of Automotive Engineers dedicated to developing aerospace materials specifications.
Physics news on Phys.org
There are people on this forum that can answer questions on aerospace, i think it is covered in the (general engineering forum).

wolram said:
There are people on this forum that can answer questions on aerospace, i think it is covered in the (general engineering forum).
Yes I am going to be posting it there, but I still feel it deserves it's own forum

I don't think we have enough questions specific to aerospace engineering for a separate forum, but the engineering mentors can say more about that.

I think many people consider Aerospace Engineering a specialized discipline of Mechanical Engineering, so most questions relating to aerospace are usually posted in the Mechanical Engineering forum.

So far, there simply hasn't been enough activity/demand to justify creating a forum specifically for the field of Aerospace Engineering.

Likes ulianjay
There were Aero and Automotive sub-forums under the ME forum, but they had too little traffic to keep separate. I believe those posts were merged into the ME forum level.

We had one up until a few weeks ago where we merged the threads back into Mechanical Engineering. You can now use a prefix to label an aerospace thread.

berkeman said:
There were Aero and Automotive sub-forums under the ME forum, but they had too little traffic to keep separate. I believe those posts were merged into the ME forum level.
That is the case.

Coincidentally, aircraft grew out of the application of the internal combustion engines. Rolls Royce built automobile engines and cars well before they built aircraft engines.

Henry Royce made his first car, a two-cylinder Royce 10, in his Manchester factory in 1904. (Wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Limited#History

It was in 1915 that Rolls-Royce built their first aircraft engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Limited#Aero_engines

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has a group devoted to Aerospace Materials, which develops Aerospace Materials Specifications (AMS).
http://www.sae.org/standardsdev/aerospace/aermtd.htm

Related to Why is there no Aerospace Engineering Forum?

1. Why is there no Aerospace Engineering Forum?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that there may not be enough demand or interest for an Aerospace Engineering Forum. Another reason could be that there are already existing forums or online communities for aerospace engineers to connect and discuss their work. Additionally, creating and maintaining a forum requires resources and effort, which may not be available at the moment.

2. Is there a specific reason why Aerospace Engineering doesn't have its own forum?

There is likely no specific reason why Aerospace Engineering doesn't have its own forum. As mentioned before, it could be due to a lack of demand or existing communities, or it could simply be a matter of resources and priorities for those in the field.

3. Will there ever be an Aerospace Engineering Forum in the future?

It's difficult to say for sure if there will be an Aerospace Engineering Forum in the future. It ultimately depends on the level of interest and demand for such a forum, as well as the availability of resources to create and maintain it.

4. Are there any alternative platforms for aerospace engineers to connect and share information?

Yes, there are alternative platforms such as online forums, social media groups, and professional networking sites where aerospace engineers can connect and share information. These may not be specifically for aerospace engineering, but can still serve as valuable resources for those in the field.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest news and developments in Aerospace Engineering without a dedicated forum?

You can stay updated on the latest news and developments in Aerospace Engineering by following industry publications, joining professional organizations, attending conferences and events, and connecting with other aerospace engineers through online communities or networking sites.