Why is there no negative sign in the Faraday's Law stated here

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of a negative sign in Faraday's Law and its connection to Lenz's Law. The experts agree that the negative sign is necessary and indicates the direction of the induced current opposing the change in magnetic flux. The use of the term "voltage" in relation to Faraday's Law is deemed contradictory due to the time-varying nature of magnetic fields. The negative sign is crucial for the consistency of electromagnetic theory.
eognvoi
Summary:: Figure b also shows that there is no negative sign in Faraday's Law. How do I know when to include the negative sign?

螢幕擷取畫面 2022-04-15 012242.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I was under the impression that the term "voltage" is used exclusively to denote the absolute value of the electric potential difference which can be positive of negative. For example, when we say that "the voltage across a capacitor is charge divided by capacitance", all three quantities are positive. In my mind, voltage is to potential difference as distance is to displacement.

I agree that the negative sign in Faraday's law is put there for Lenz's law. It indicates that the induced potential difference is such that it gives rise to an induced current that opposes the proposed change in magnetic flux. I view it as analogous to the negative sign in Hooke's law that indicates that the direction of the force exerted by the spring opposes the proposed deformation of the spring. The direction of an arrow in a free body diagram says it all and a minus sign is not needed. In fact, it would be wrong to label an arrow representing the force due to a spring by "-kx". Similarly, the direction of the induced current in a circuit says it all and a minus sign is not needed.

I remember having this conversation about voltage here at PF a number of years ago, but I could not find the link.

kuruman said:
I remember having this conversation about voltage here at PF a number of years ago, but I could not find the link.
Is this the "conversation" you were thinking of?
Faraday law of electromagnetic induction

• Informative
Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
I was under the impression that the term "voltage" is used exclusively to denote the absolute value of the electric potential difference which can be positive of negative. For example, when we say that "the voltage across a capacitor is charge divided by capacitance", all three quantities are positive. In my mind, voltage is to potential difference as distance is to displacement.

I agree that the negative sign in Faraday's law is put there for Lenz's law. It indicates that the induced potential difference is such that it gives rise to an induced current that opposes the proposed change in magnetic flux. I view it as analogous to the negative sign in Hooke's law that indicates that the direction of the force exerted by the spring opposes the proposed deformation of the spring. The direction of an arrow in a free body diagram says it all and a minus sign is not needed. In fact, it would be wrong to label an arrow representing the force due to a spring by "-kx". Similarly, the direction of the induced current in a circuit says it all and a minus sign is not needed.

Just don't use the word "voltage" in connection with Faraday's law, because it's a contradiction in itself. There is no potential when time-varying magnetic fields are present due to Faraday's law:
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\partial_t \vec{B},$$
and the minus-sign is of course crucial for the entire consistency of electromagnetic theory.

Likes dlgoff

1. Why is there no negative sign in Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the negative of the time rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. This means that the EMF is always in the opposite direction of the change in magnetic flux. Therefore, there is no need for a negative sign in the equation as it is already accounted for in the direction of the EMF.

2. How does Faraday's Law relate to Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law are closely related. Lenz's Law states that the direction of the induced current in a circuit is always such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This is in line with Faraday's Law, which states that the induced EMF is always in the opposite direction of the change in magnetic flux. Essentially, Faraday's Law explains the magnitude of the induced EMF, while Lenz's Law explains the direction of the induced current.

3. Can Faraday's Law be used to calculate the induced current?

No, Faraday's Law cannot be used to directly calculate the induced current. It only determines the magnitude of the induced EMF. To calculate the induced current, one must also take into account the resistance of the circuit and use Ohm's Law (V=IR).

4. Why is Faraday's Law important in understanding electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's Law is important because it explains the relationship between changing magnetic fields and induced EMF. This phenomenon, known as electromagnetic induction, is the basis for many important technologies such as generators, transformers, and motors. Understanding Faraday's Law allows us to harness the power of electromagnetic induction for practical applications.

5. How does Faraday's Law apply to everyday life?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, which powers our homes and devices. It is also used in transformers to change the voltage of electricity for transmission and distribution. Additionally, many household appliances, such as electric motors and induction cooktops, rely on Faraday's Law to function.