Demo of the I-V equation of an inductor

In summary: He is a Spanish student studying at the University of the Basque Country to get his degree in maths. He is unsure of which topics he should study for his physics exam and is looking for help. He has read through some maths textbooks and understands the concepts, but is lacking knowledge about electromagnetism.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hello, I would like to know the demonstration of i-v formula ##v=L\dfrac{di}{dt}##. Does it come from Faraday's law, ##\epsilon=-N\dfrac{\Delta{\phi}}{\Delta{t}}##?; why does sometimes appears ##v=-L\dfrac{di}{dt}##? . Magnetic flow in a constant magnetic field, ##\phi=BA\cos{\theta}## is also a fact that Faraday pointed out?; and also ##B=\mu_0nI##?.
Self-inductance ##L=\dfrac{N\phi}{I}## for a coil is also Faraday's, or Joseph Henry's?. Is it all this empiric?; which role plays maths, calculus, and direct observation. What about ##B=\mu_0nI##, is a Faradays achieve?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
Summary:: demo of the equation of an inductor (an electrical device, typically a conducting coil) that introduces induction into a circuit

Hello, I would like to know the demonstration of i-v formula ##v=L\dfrac{di}{dt}##. Does it come from Faraday's law, ##\epsilon=-N\dfrac{\Delta{\phi}}{\Delta{t}}##?

Yes, it does. From Faraday's law (described simultaneously by Joseph Henry) and selfinductance definition (##L=\dfrac{N\phi}{I}##): we know from this equation that:
1-##N\Delta{\phi}=L\Delta{I}##;
2-##N(\Delta{\phi}/\Delta{t})=L(\Delta{I}/\Delta{t})##;
3-##N(\Delta{\phi}/\Delta{t})=-\epsilon##
4-##\epsilon=-N\dfrac{\Delta{\phi}}{\Delta{t}}=-L\dfrac{\Delta{I}}{\Delta{t}}##

mcastillo356 said:
; why does sometimes appears ##v=L\dfrac{di}{dt}##?
Sometimes we want to know this way: ##|\epsilon|=|-N\Delta{\phi}/\Delta{t}|##

mcastillo356 said:
Magnetic flow in a constant magnetic field, ##\phi=BA\cos{\theta}## is also a fact that Faraday pointed out?;
No, is described by Ampere's circuital law

mcastillo356 said:
and also ##B=\mu_0nI##?.
This is magnetic field inside a solenoid (coil)

mcastillo356 said:
Self-inductance ##L=\dfrac{N\phi}{I}## for a coil is also Faraday's, or Joseph Henry's?
It's useless information

mcastillo356 said:
. Is it all this empiric?; which role plays maths, calculus, and direct observation?
It's all of them

Salutes, Marcos

Why are you talking to yourself?

• Sad
  • Haha
Likes cnh1995 and mcastillo356
OK, you're sad. Again, why are you talking to yourself? What are you trying to accomplish? If we don't know what it is you are trying to do, how can we provide help?

Likes berkeman
Sorry, lately I am talking to myself; I will try to be communicative with the forum. First of all, thank you for the advise, and my apology to all the people that have read this thread. It's time for me to listen to everyone that comes along.

I fear to talk again; lately I fail to put things in common with people. I really appreciate your time. Now, I will try to answer your question. Let's see: as I am studying at the spanish UNED (distance studies) to pass the exam for those aged more than 45 years, to access university. And my questions probably exceed my skills to understand the answers; I left studying maths and physics at the age of 18. I passed the exams, and started to study non scientific topics at the UPV (Public University of Basque Country).

But now I've realized that I like what I left when I was young: mathematics and physics. And I pretend to do a degree in maths. At the tenth of july are my first examinations: physics, english, spanish, and literature; I've left maths exam for september (I've only read carefully the maths textbooks, and think I've understood, with the help of everybody: teachers, forums, bibliography, google, YouTube, Wikipedia...)... The problem: I get along with the skills I must prove in july; but I want to go further; I find topics like resistance, conductivity, Ohm's law, inductance and Faraday's law, magnetic flow, Lenz's law, emf,...

The thing I pretend: to relate them, to understand the underlying physics: in this thread, I pretended to relate mathematically some of them (inductance, current flow, magnetic flow, voltage, Faraday's law...), and know everything about them. That is the real question behind my first post; the second post arrived when I saw no quick answer to my first post (now I realize why not a reply from you).

Conclusion: I go very fast; people helped a lot, showing clearly all the matter; but still insecure (the origin of some equations concern me know; specifically the relationship between Faradays law and emf equation in a coil ##\epsilon=-N\dfrac{\Delta{\phi}}{\Delta{t}}=-L\dfrac{\Delta{I}}{\Delta{t}}##)

Ways you can help me: I think it was you who asked me my background: basic calculus, basic algebra...18 years old's student's knowledge, with a lack of knowledge about electromagnetism. It's my first contact.

Sorry and greetings
Marcos Castillo

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the I-V equation of an inductor?

The I-V equation of an inductor is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the current (I) and voltage (V) across an inductor. It is given by the formula V = L di/dt, where L is the inductance of the inductor and di/dt is the rate of change of current over time.

2. How is the I-V equation of an inductor derived?

The I-V equation of an inductor is derived from Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. In the case of an inductor, the changing magnetic field is created by the changing current flowing through it, resulting in the voltage across the inductor.

3. What is the significance of the I-V equation of an inductor?

The I-V equation of an inductor is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of inductors in electrical circuits. It allows us to calculate the voltage across an inductor for a given current, and vice versa. This is important in designing and analyzing circuits that involve inductors.

4. How does the I-V equation of an inductor differ from that of a resistor?

The I-V equation of an inductor is fundamentally different from that of a resistor. While the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it (V = IR), the voltage across an inductor is proportional to the rate of change of current (V = L di/dt). This means that the voltage across an inductor can change even when there is no current flowing through it, as long as there is a changing magnetic field.

5. Can the I-V equation of an inductor be applied to all types of inductors?

Yes, the I-V equation of an inductor can be applied to all types of inductors, as long as they exhibit the property of inductance. This includes both air-core and iron-core inductors, as well as inductors made from different materials. However, the value of inductance (L) may vary depending on the type of inductor and its physical characteristics.