Why is this function constant in this interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of assuming a function to be constant in an infinitesimal interval, and how it relates to calculating the definite integral of a function. It is mentioned that the existence of a definite integral does not require a function to be constant in any particular interval, but rather that the function is continuous in the interval being integrated.
EddiePhys
This question has a little bit of physics in it, but it's mostly maths.

If I have force, or any function f(z), I was told that I can assume it to be constant only in the interval dz.

However, in this case, I had to calculate the work done by the spring force as a function of y

img_20170218_162826_01-min-jpg.113388.jpg

Over here, I assumed the spring force, which is a function of its elongation x (F = -kx) to be constant in the interval dy and integrated and this gave me the correct answer

I want to know why the error vanished over here. Shouldn't spring force only be constant in the interval dx and not dy?

I also want to know, in general, if I have a function, how to decide whether it is constant in some particular interval/in which cases the error will vanish as I take the limit and integrate. Or are forces/functions constant for any infinitesimal intervals such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
EddiePhys said:
This question has a little bit of physics in it, but it's mostly maths.

If I have force, or any function f(z), I was told that I can assume it to be constant only in the interval dz.

However, in this case, I had to calculate the work done by the spring force as a function of y

img_20170218_162826_01-min-jpg.113388.jpg

Over here, I assumed the spring force, which is a function of its elongation x (F = -kx) to be constant in the interval dy and integrated and this gave me the correct answer

I want to know why the error vanished over here. Shouldn't spring force only be constant in the interval dx and not dy?

I also want to know, in general, if I have a function, how to decide whether it is constant in some particular interval/in which cases the error will vanish as I take the limit and integrate. Or are forces/functions constant for any infinitesimal intervals such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc etc.?
It depends whether the derivative is bounded. If it is, we can approximate the function in the vicinity of a point using the Taylor expansion: f(x+dx)=f(x)+f'(x)dx+... So for small dx f(x+dx) is approximately f(x). But this will not work for x ln(x) in the vicinity of 0.

haruspex said:
It depends whether the derivative is bounded. If it is, we can approximate the function in the vicinity of a point using the Taylor expansion: f(x+dx)=f(x)+f'(x)dx+... So for small dx f(x+dx) is approximately f(x). But this will not work for x ln(x) in the vicinity of 0.

I understand that I can assume f(x) to be constant in the interval [x, x+dx), but in my case, I have assumed it to be constant in an unrelated interval [y,y+dy) and still gotten the correct answer. I want to know why, and if I can, in general, assume any function to be constant in any infinitesimal interval such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc

EddiePhys said:
I understand that I can assume f(x) to be constant in the interval [x, x+dx), but in my case, I have assumed it to be constant in an unrelated interval [y,y+dy) and still gotten the correct answer. I want to know why, and if I can, in general, assume any function to be constant in any infinitesimal interval such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc
It is not unrelated. x and y are directly related, so you can recast f as a function of y.

haruspex said:
It is not unrelated. x and y are directly related, so you can recast f as a function of y.

I don't understand how being able to recast f as a function of y is relevant.
Also, can I, in general, assume a force or function to be constant in any infinitesimal interval such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc

EddiePhys said:
I also want to know, in general, if I have a function, how to decide whether it is constant in some particular interval/in which cases the error will vanish as I take the limit and integrate.

The existence of a definite integral of a function does not require that the function be constant in any particular interval. The notion that a function ##f(x)## must be "constant" is small interval of length ##dx## in order for ##\int f(x) dx## to exist isn't a correct mathematical statement. The correct statement is that if ##f(x)## is continuous in the closed interval ##[a,b]## then ##\int_a^b f(x) dx## exists and can be computed, in the usual way, by using an antiderrivative. (See "The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus".)

A person trying to formulate an intuitive explanation of what "continuous" means to a child might resort to using the words that ##f(x)## is "constant" in each "infinitesimal" interval of length ##dx##, but that is a mangled description of the actual meaning of "continuous".

Related to Why is this function constant in this interval?

1. What does it mean for a function to be constant in an interval?

When a function is constant in an interval, it means that the output value of the function remains the same for every input value within that interval. In other words, the function does not change or vary in that specific interval.

2. Why do some functions have a constant value in certain intervals?

This can happen for various reasons. One possible reason is that the function is defined or restricted to only have a certain value within that interval. Another reason could be that the function is a horizontal line, which by definition has a constant value for all input values.

3. How can we determine if a function is constant in a given interval?

To determine if a function is constant in an interval, we can graph the function and see if it forms a horizontal line within that interval. Alternatively, we can also calculate the derivative of the function and see if it equals zero within the interval. If it does, then the function is constant in that interval.

4. Can a function be constant in one interval and non-constant in another?

Yes, a function can have different behaviors in different intervals. It is possible for a function to be constant in one interval and non-constant in another. This is because the definition of a function can change depending on the input values or the restrictions placed on the function.

5. Why is it important to identify if a function is constant in a specific interval?

Identifying if a function is constant in a specific interval can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its output values. It can also help us determine the slope of the function within that interval, which is important in many applications such as optimizing a function or analyzing the rate of change.