Why can I assume the force to be constant in this interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of assuming a function to be constant in a given interval and its implications in calculating the work done by a spring force. It also touches on the basics of Calculus and how to determine when such assumptions are justified. The suggestion to seek further clarification on a Mathematics forum is also mentioned.
EddiePhys
If I have force, or any function f(z), I was told that I can assume it to be constant only in the interval dz.

However, in this case, I had to calculate the work done by the spring force as a function of y

IMG_20170218_162826_01-min.jpg

Over here, I assumed the spring force, which is a function of its elongation x (F = -kx) to be constant in the interval dy and integrated and this gave me the correct answer

I want to know why the error vanished over here. Shouldn't spring force only be constant in the interval dx and not dy?

I also want to know, in general, if I have a function, how to decide whether it is constant in some particular interval/in which cases the error will vanish as I take the limit and integrate. Or are forces/functions constant for any infinitesimal intervals such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is assumed that dz is infinitesimally small and that f is continuous within the z axis segment that dz spans. Then you can assume that the function is at it's segment maximum, minimum, average, or any of its segment values. The differences should be so small that it doesn't change the integral value significantly.

EddiePhys said:
If I have force, or any function f(z), I was told that I can assume it to be constant only in the interval dz.

However, in this case, I had to calculate the work done by the spring force as a function of y
Over here, I assumed the spring force, which is a function of its elongation x (F = -kx) to be constant in the interval dy and integrated and this gave me the correct answer

I want to know why the error vanished over here. Shouldn't spring force only be constant in the interval dx and not dy?

I also want to know, in general, if I have a function, how to decide whether it is constant in some particular interval/in which cases the error will vanish as I take the limit and integrate. Or are forces/functions constant for any infinitesimal intervals such as Rdθ, dy/cosθ, dz etc etc.?

You are touching on the very basics of Calculus here. Long story short: you start with a finite step in x (δx) and that gives you a change δy. The Limit of the value of the work done dW assumes (justifiably here) that θ doesn't change as δx →0
There has been loads and loads written about this sort of thing and, if you get a Calculus Intro textbook, you can find out when that sort of step is justified and when it's not. You could try posting a similar question on the Maths Forum and see if you get a better answer from a Mathematician who can sum it up in less than several pages of textbook.

sophiecentaur said:
You are touching on the very basics of Calculus here. Long story short: you start with a finite step in x (δx) and that gives you a change δy. The Limit of the value of the work done dW assumes (justifiably here) that θ doesn't change as δx →0
There has been loads and loads written about this sort of thing and, if you get a Calculus Intro textbook, you can find out when that sort of step is justified and when it's not. You could try posting a similar question on the Maths Forum and see if you get a better answer from a Mathematician who can sum it up in less than several pages of textbook.

Okay, I'll post it on a maths forum. Thanks!

Related to Why can I assume the force to be constant in this interval?

1. Why do we assume the force to be constant in this interval?

In many physical situations, the force acting on an object remains fairly constant over a short period of time or distance. This assumption simplifies calculations and allows us to use basic equations of motion.

2. What factors determine whether the force is constant or not?

The force acting on an object can be affected by various factors such as gravity, friction, air resistance, and external forces. If these factors remain relatively constant, then the force acting on the object can be assumed to be constant as well.

3. Can the force acting on an object ever be truly constant?

In theory, the force acting on an object can only be truly constant if all external influences are eliminated. However, in most practical situations, the force can be considered constant as long as the external factors do not vary significantly.

4. What are the consequences of assuming a constant force?

Assuming a constant force can simplify calculations and provide a good approximation of an object's motion. However, it may not accurately reflect the real-world conditions and may lead to errors in more complex situations.

5. How do we know when it is appropriate to assume a constant force?

The decision to assume a constant force should be based on the specific situation and factors influencing the force. It is important to carefully consider all external influences and assess their potential impact on the object's motion before making the assumption.