Why is this not a local maximum?

In summary, the definition of a local maximum varies depending on the context and the definitions used by the instructor or textbook. In practical applications, an end-point may be considered a local maximum, but in general, it is not. The distinction between an infimum and a minimum is a fine one and can lead to discussions on the precise meaning and usage of these terms.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

ri9hk.png

Why is 'a' not a local maximum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the definition of a local maximum, I have to take an open interval around 'a' so it seems like 'a' is a local maximum. I don't understand why it isn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:

Homework Statement

ri9hk.png

Why is 'a' not a local maximum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the definition of a local maximum, I have to take an open interval around 'a' so it seems like 'a' is a local maximum. I don't understand why it isn't.

Definitions vary somewhat. If the domain you are interested is only a finite interval I, an end-point such as x = a is often regarded as a local maximum, since it satisfies the definition that f(a) >= f(x) for all x in I, |x-a| small. Typically (although not always), optimization textbooks would use this type of definition, since it fits exactly with practical needs (which is to find the best value of the function, no matter where it happens to be located). However, general math textbooks might use a different definition. So, the best advice is: go with the definitions used by your instructor and/or textbook.

RGV

Last edited:
I am just severely confused because the textbook states that the right endpoint on this graph is a maxima as well, but the left endpoint is not.

The right end point is an absolute maximum.
The left end point is a local (but not absolute) maximum.

Okay, so the textbook has an error then, I guess.

PhizKid said:

Yes, unless the domain is not limited on the left side at a.

PhizKid said:

If the book meant "global maximum" then what it says is correct. Sometimes, a book will drop the adjective "global", so maybe that is what it did. (In that case, though, it might have to add the adjective "local" in some cases, to distinguish between the different types.)

RGV

The textbook asked to identify all the maximums and minimums, including local and absolute.

PhizKid said:
The textbook asked to identify all the maximums and minimums, including local and absolute.
Assuming the right hand end point is b, is the function defined on [ a, b ], or is it defined on ( a, b ] ?

SammyS said:
Assuming the right hand end point is b, is the function defined on [ a, b ], or is it defined on ( a, b ] ?

Interesting distinction! ;)

According to the definition on wiki there is no local maximum at a on (a,b].
However, every practical application shouts that there is and there should be.
Since there is no specific reference to this situation in wiki, in my book that means that wiki's definition is flawed.

Google does not help much, and for instance wolfram mathworld does not even give a proper definition.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Interesting distinction! ;)

According to the definition on wiki there is no local maximum at a on (a,b].
However, every practical application shouts that there is and there should be.
Since there is no specific reference to this situation in wiki, in my book that means that wiki's definition is flawed.

No: Wiki is correct. Take an easier example: what is the minimum of f(x) = x in the region x > 0? Answer: there *isn't* one. There is an "infimum", but not a minimum. If you don't believe this, please tell me what the minimum is.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
No: Wiki is correct. Take an easier example: what is the minimum of f(x) = x in the region x > 0? Answer: there *isn't* one. There is an "infimum", but not a minimum. If you don't believe this, please tell me what the minimum is.

RGV

I did not say that wiki was wrong (yet).
But it should have addressed this issue and it didn't and in that respect it is flawed.
Perhaps we can fix it. :)

The distinction between an infimum and a minimum is a fine one and invites lots of discussion on what a word means exactly and when it should be used.

As for your question, I could say that the minimum is the infimum in that case, but you'll probably disagree and I'm not able to support it with references (yet).
Can you?

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
I did not say that wiki was wrong (yet).
But it should have addressed this issue and it didn't and in that respect it is flawed.
Perhaps we can fix it. :)

The distinction between an infimum and a minimum is a fine one and invites lots of discussion on what a word means exactly and when it should be used.

As for your question, I could say that the minimum is the infimum in that case, but you'll probably disagree and I'm not able to support it with references (yet).
Can you?

I could, but I won't bother, as the definitions are rather standard: a (local or global) minimum is a (local or global) infimum that is *attained*---that is, there is some allowed value of the variable that gives the infimum. For an open interval, and endpoint is not an "allowed" value. In practical terms the distinction is not that important, because if the infinum is 1 (say) and is not attained, in a practical application we could use instead an attainable value that gives, say 1.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001. But, in theory, there is always going to be a difference.

RGV

Related to Why is this not a local maximum?

1. Why is this point not a local maximum?

In order for a point to be a local maximum, it must be the highest point in its immediate surroundings. If there is any other point nearby that is higher, then the original point is not a local maximum.

2. What factors contribute to a point not being a local maximum?

There are a few factors that can cause a point to not be a local maximum. These include the shape of the function, the position of the point in relation to its surroundings, and the slope of the function at that point.

3. How can we determine if a point is a local maximum or not?

To determine if a point is a local maximum, we need to examine its surroundings. If there are no other points that are higher, then the point is a local maximum. However, if there is at least one other point that is higher, then the point is not a local maximum.

4. Why is it important to identify local maximums in a function?

Identifying local maximums in a function can be helpful in understanding the behavior of the function. It can also be useful in finding the global maximum, which is the highest point in the entire function. Additionally, local maximums can be used in optimization problems to determine the best possible solution.

5. Can a point be both a local and global maximum?

Yes, a point can be both a local and global maximum. This occurs when the function has only one peak and there are no other points that are higher. In this case, the point is both the highest in its immediate surroundings (local maximum) and the highest in the entire function (global maximum).