Why is this unit used in graphs; keV/amu ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the unit "keV/amu" in graphs related to atomic collisions. The main question is why this unit is used instead of simply "keV" when the overall keV of an atomic collision is presumably the important factor. The conversation also includes a request for a specific example and page number of a graph using this unit. However, the conversation becomes circular as the original question is not answered and frustration arises due to the lack of specific information. The moderator ultimately closes the thread due to the removal of a link containing relevant graphs.
cmb
I see various graphs in papers about atomic collisions in units showing "keV/amu".

Why is this unit used, why not just "keV" when, presumably, it is the overall keV of an atomic collision that is important?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say this without knowing the context. I'm a nuclear physicists and in part of our community they use the unit MeV/u, which makes no sense. Looking at the context you realize however soon that what they in reality mean is collision energy per nucleon when colliding two nuclei. The correct writing (used in the major part of the community): "The collision energy is ##2.76 \; A \text{TeV}## or ## \sqrt{s_{NN}}=2.67 \; \text{TeV}##".

Likes Vanadium 50
Let me get this straight. You aren't going to tell us where it is used (beyond "various graphs") but expect us to tell you why it used there? How do you expect us to do that?

Vanadium 50 said:
Let me get this straight. You aren't going to tell us where it is used (beyond "various graphs") but expect us to tell you why it used there? How do you expect us to do that?

Well, TBH, I see it all the time in topics related to atomic collisions, so excuse me for presuming that anyone who knows the answer would already know this is a norm in published papers on the subject.

Seeing as you've asked so nicely, look at the cross section plots for ion collisions here;
[Moderator's note: Link removed due to unclear copyright situation. The fact that the source lists a fee in an old currency does not mean it is free now.]

Last edited by a moderator:
keV/amu is energy per mass. That's not impossible to be a relevant quantity. And I am sure somewhere in this 195 page document there is the plot you are thinking about, I don't think it is my responsibility to find it.

Likes vanhees71
You've missed the question.

I asked why keV/amu is a significant unit when I thought that the particle collision energy as a whole, the gross energy, was the significant factor.

I was hoping someone who actually knows the answer, or who generates plots like this, might have said something like "typically, events are proportional to specific energy rather than absolute energy" or maybe "yes, you're right, really, it's just the way people do it".

PS Every one of the few dozen ion collision plots in that attachment uses this unit.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
And it's too much for you to tell us the page number? Well, you seem not to be too interested in an answer...

Likes weirdoguy, Vanadium 50 and fresh_42
cmb said:
PS Every one of the few dozen ion collision plots in that attachment uses this unit.

The figure on Page 3 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 5 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 7 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 9 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 11is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 13 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 15 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 17 is cm^2 vs. eV.
The figure on Page 19 is cm^2 vs. eV.

Every one? That's not what I see. Vanhees is right - if it's too much trouble for you to even give us a page number, how can we possibly answer you?

cmb said:
I was hoping someone ... who generates plots like this

Plots like what? You still haven't provided an example.

cmb said:
I was hoping someone who actually knows the answer, or who generates plots like this, might have said something like "typically, events are proportional to specific energy rather than absolute energy" or maybe "yes, you're right, really, it's just the way people do it".
This thread is running in circles. I do not understand what it makes so difficult to talk about a specific graphic rather than hoping someone will provide the answer you apparently are waiting for. Furthermore, some condescending attitudes towards people who do actually know is hardly the tune we want to perform scientific debates.

As I had to remove the link due to an undecidable copyright issue, this thread is closed.

Likes weirdoguy and anorlunda

1. Why is the unit keV/amu commonly used in graphs?

The unit keV/amu, or kiloelectron volts per atomic mass unit, is commonly used in graphs because it is a convenient unit for measuring the energy of particles in atomic and nuclear physics. It allows for easy comparison of the energy levels of different particles, regardless of their mass.

2. What is the significance of using keV/amu instead of other units in graphs?

Using keV/amu in graphs allows for a more precise measurement of energy levels, as it takes into account the mass of the particle. This is important in atomic and nuclear physics, where the mass of particles can vary significantly.

3. Can other units be used in place of keV/amu in graphs?

Yes, other units such as joules or electron volts can also be used to measure energy in graphs. However, keV/amu is commonly used in atomic and nuclear physics due to its convenience and ability to compare energy levels of different particles.

4. How is the unit keV/amu calculated?

The unit keV/amu is calculated by dividing the energy in kiloelectron volts by the mass in atomic mass units. For example, if a particle has an energy of 100 keV and a mass of 2 amu, its energy per mass would be 50 keV/amu.

5. Are there any other industries or fields that use keV/amu in graphs?

While keV/amu is most commonly used in atomic and nuclear physics, it can also be used in other industries such as medical imaging and radiation therapy. It is also used in space science to measure the energy of particles in space.