Why isn't momentum quantized in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between sinusoidal wave functions and non-infinite probability distributions in quantum mechanics. The equation Ψ(x,t)=(2πħ)^-½ ∫ e^{i[px-Et]/ħ} *Φ(p) dp was mentioned, which raises the question of why momentum is not quantized. The answer is that energy is only quantized in certain cases, and for a free particle, energy and momentum are not quantized. The discussion also touched on the use of Fourier transform to relate wave function and momentum, which is the basis for Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
Darren93
I'm going through a textbook, on what is pretty much my first course in Quantum mechanics. I've got to a section were it says that in order for a sinusoidal wave function to correspond to a non infinite probability distribution, there must be a range of momentum, or at least more than 1 momentum term on x.. Which I understand, that makes complete sense. However the next bit they utilize an integral term to sum momentum over a unit step like distribution. That is they consider the wave function to be built up from an integral w.r.t momentum, composed of various sinusoidal terms. This integral considers momentum to be a continuous range.

Equation of concern (probably makes little sense): Ψ(x,t)=(2πħ)^-½ ∫ e^{i[px-Et]/ħ} *Φ(p) dp

However why isn't momentum quantized? Surely energy exists in steps related to h, which will extend to quantum's of momentum. Hence in a momentum range, a sum would be needed.

Am I wrong in thinking that momentum is quatized, or is it that the integral is a close match to the sum due to the size of h? The reason I'm annoyed at this is that they use this to relate wave function and momentum together in a Fourier transform manner. Which I presume is the basis for Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. I feel uneasy about leaving such a hole in my knowledge with the significance this derivation poses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Darren93 said:
However why isn't momentum quantized? Surely energy exists in steps related to h, which will extend to quantum's of momentum.

You are getting ahead of yourself. Energy is only quantized in certain cases. Your textbook will discuss some examples soon if it is any good. For a free particle, energy and momentum are *not* quantized.

Darren93 said:
The reason I'm annoyed at this is that they use this to relate wave function and momentum together in a Fourier transform manner. Which I presume is the basis for Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Yes. You are basically working through a special case of the uncertainty principle here.

Likes vanhees71 and Darren93
Thanks for the reply, so momentum doesn't exist in quanta's then? Makes sense as when I googled it I found nothing.

1. What is continuous momentum range?

Continuous momentum range refers to the range of possible values for the momentum of a particle or system. It is a measure of the extent to which the momentum of a particle can vary, and is typically expressed in units of momentum, such as kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

2. How is continuous momentum range related to velocity?

Continuous momentum range is directly related to velocity, as momentum is the product of mass and velocity. The greater the range of possible momentum values, the greater the range of possible velocities for a given particle or system.

3. Can continuous momentum range be negative?

Yes, continuous momentum range can be negative. This is because momentum can be a positive or negative quantity, depending on the direction of the velocity relative to the reference frame. A negative momentum would indicate that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the reference frame.

4. How is continuous momentum range different from discrete momentum range?

Continuous momentum range refers to the entire range of possible momentum values, while discrete momentum range refers to a finite set of discrete values that a particle or system can have. Continuous momentum range allows for a greater variety of possible values.

5. How is continuous momentum range important in physics?

Continuous momentum range is a fundamental concept in physics, as momentum is a conserved quantity and plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of particles and systems. It is essential for studying the behavior of objects in motion and is a key component in many physical laws and equations.