Why isn't this circuit behaving like a low pass filter?

In summary: The DC gain should be 1/16 ie R2 / R1.Yep you're right about the DC gain being 1/16, that was my mistake typing it there. And I plotted from 20Hz.The gain rises sharply above 100 KHz.The huge peak above 100 KHz is due to C3. If you remove this, you don't get this peak.It helps to plot the vertical scale as linear rather than logarithmic.
chebyshevF
I'm trying to design a low pass filter from a transfer function (with one pole and one zero), and according to my textbook, the circuit which represents such a transfer function is of the following kind:
2howlkm.jpg

DC gain is 16.
Yet I get complete attenuation for low frequencies? Could my component values be wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like you swapped the V+ and V- supply pins on the opamp.

The DC gain should be 1/16 ie R2 / R1.

Below 50 KHz it does function as a low pass filter. Did you plot down to 10 Hz?

The gain rises sharply above 100 KHz.

I got this frequency response with the LT1001 opamp. Would you mind posting the transfer function from your book? Thanks.

-24.1 dB = 20 log10(1/16)

eajl6.png

I'm not sure what simulation program you're using, but if it's like PSPICE, you need to use VAC as the input source to sweep frequency from low to high.

vk6kro said:
The DC gain should be 1/16 ie R2 / R1.

Below 50 KHz it does function as a low pass filter. Did you plot down to 10 Hz?

The gain rises sharply above 100 KHz.
Yep you're right about the DC gain being 1/16, that was my mistake typing it there. And I plotted from 20Hz.

gnurf said:
I got this frequency response with the LT1001 opamp. Would you mind posting the transfer function from your book? Thanks.

-24.1 dB = 20 log10(1/16)

http://imgur.com/eajl6.png
Actually this is my issue. I get the same Magnitude Bode Plot, yet what I don't understand is: why is my input amplitude being attenuated so much? I've set the amplitude at 20Vp, and according to the oscilliscope I include in the circuit, the output is in the mV range?! Isn't it supposed to be that with Low Pass Filter circuits, low frequency input signals are easily passed through as opposed to high frequency signals?

I was expecting the plot to start off at around just -0.3~ dB, but then again doesn't this depend on my DC gain? So I'm guessing I'd need a lower DC gain then?

As for the transfer function and corressponding circuit (taken from Intro to Electric Circuits, 7e, Dorf and Svoboda):
icl6id.jpg

Where I set R2=1000 Ohms. (And then calculate for the other components).

Last edited:
If you plot this below 10 Hz you will get a classic low pass filter. The gain below 10 Hz is about 1/16.

Above 1000 Hz roughly, the output is much lower than 1/16 vin. This is what you would expect.

The huge peak above 100 KHz is due to C3. If you remove this, you don't get this peak.

It helps to plot the vertical scale as linear rather than logarithmic.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/LP%20filter2.PNG

This is with an input signal of 1 volt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to point out that R1 C3 constitute a high pass filter at the input when I read the above.

chebyshevF said:
I'm trying to design a low pass filter from a transfer function (with one pole and one zero), and according to my textbook, the circuit which represents such a transfer function is of the following kind:
2howlkm.jpg

DC gain is 16.
Yet I get complete attenuation for low frequencies? Could my component values be wrong?

well your battery connections are incorrect for a start the cct will not work in the current configuration ... you have + voltage from each battery going to the 2 supply terminals of the Op-amp. Reverse the battery connections on Pin 4 of the opamp so that - of that battery goes to pin 4 and the + of that battery to the GND rail (Negative rail of the other battery)

Dave

Isn't that just a matter of sloppy drawing. (Let him that is without sin cast the first stone).He still has the 15V and -15V labels to show his supplies are right. Anyway, if they weren't, the sircuit wouldn't do anything.

1. Why is my circuit not filtering out high frequency signals?

There are several reasons why a circuit may not be behaving like a low pass filter. One common reason is that the components used in the circuit, such as capacitors and resistors, may not have the correct values or may not be connected correctly. Another possibility is that there may be unwanted resistance or capacitance in the circuit due to poor soldering or damaged components. Additionally, external interference or noise can affect the performance of the filter. It is important to carefully check all components and connections to ensure that they are functioning properly.

2. Can the power supply affect the performance of a low pass filter circuit?

Yes, the power supply can have a significant impact on the behavior of a low pass filter circuit. If the power supply is not stable or has high levels of noise, it can affect the output of the filter. It is important to use a stable and clean power source for the circuit to function properly.

3. How do I determine the cutoff frequency of my low pass filter circuit?

The cutoff frequency of a low pass filter can be calculated using the formula f = 1 / (2πRC), where f is the cutoff frequency, R is the resistance value, and C is the capacitance value. Alternatively, you can use a function generator and oscilloscope to measure the frequency response of the circuit and determine the cutoff frequency from the resulting graph.

4. Why is my low pass filter circuit producing distorted output?

Distorted output from a low pass filter circuit can be caused by a number of factors. One possibility is that the input signal is too strong, causing the output to clip and distort. Another common cause is that the filter components are not suited for the desired frequency range, resulting in phase shifts and distortion. Carefully selecting appropriate components and adjusting input signal levels can help reduce distortion in the output.

5. Can the placement of components affect the performance of a low pass filter circuit?

Yes, the placement of components in a low pass filter circuit can have an impact on its performance. For example, if capacitors are placed too far away from the active components, they may introduce unwanted resistance and inductance, affecting the filter's behavior. It is important to follow proper circuit layout and keep components close together to minimize these effects.