Why isn't this working 2D Kinematics

In summary: Actually, radou's version is correct as it stands since he wrote the equation in terms of vectors, not...
mmiller39
Why isn't this working! 2D Kinematics

Here is the problem:

Relative to the ground, a car has a velocity of 18.2 m/s, directed due north. Relative to this car, a truck has a velocity of 22.9 m/s directed 47.2 ° south of east. Find the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the truck's velocity relative to the ground. Give the directional angle relative to due east.

For a) I found the answer as follows (which is correct)

V of T in relation to G (Vtg) = V of T in relation to C (Vtc) + V of C in relation to G Vcg.

The x factor looks like this:

Vtgx = Vtc + Vcg

22.9 cos 47.2 + 0 = 15.6

Y factor:

Vtgy = Vtc + Vcg

-22.9 sin 47.2 = 1.39

Vtg = Sqrt (Vtgx^2 + Vtgy^2) = 15.7 <-------the Right answer

For b) I did

tan^-1 y/x, but I keep getting the wrong answer. What is going on. I keep getting 5.07, and this is incorrect!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks reasonable to me. Do you know how to convert vectors in polar notation (like those in your problem) into rectangular coordinates? As a cross-check on your work, you could convert the vectors into rectangular coordinates and just add Vc and deltaVtc to get Vt. Then convert Vt back to polar coordinates to get the angle a different way.

I reviewed some of my noted but I am unclear about this, could the angle be found as such:

Theta = Cos^-1 (Vcg/Vct) ? ?

so...

Cos^-1 (18.2/22.9) = 37.36

Thanks!

mmiller39 said:
I reviewed some of my noted but I am unclear about this, could the angle be found as such:

Theta = Cos^-1 (Vcg/Vct) ? ?

so...

Cos^-1 (18.2/22.9) = 37.36

Thanks!
From the problem statement, I don't think that's what they are asking for. Aren't they asking for the travel direction of the truck with respect to the ground?

mmiller39 said:
For b) I did

tan^-1 y/x, but I keep getting the wrong answer. What is going on. I keep getting 5.07, and this is incorrect!
That method is correct. Recheck your calculations for the velocity components--make sure you didn't make any round-off errors.

Doc Al said:
That method is correct. Recheck your calculations for the velocity components--make sure you didn't make any round-off errors.

Thanks Doc...but I have checked and rechecked...do you think the part that says, what is the angle relative to Due east, has anything to do with the answer being different than what it is?

Did you try it in rectangular coordinates yet?

berkeman said:
Did you try it in rectangular coordinates yet?

I hate to say it, but I have no idea what that means :blushing:

[tex]\vec{v}_{T, G} = \vec{v}_{T, C} + \vec{v}_{C, G}[/tex], where T stands for truck, C for car, and G for ground. Just vector addition. Or am I missing something?

radou said:
[tex]\vec{v}_{T, G} = \vec{v}_{T, C} + \vec{v}_{C, G}[/tex], where T stands for truck, C for car, and G for ground. Just vector addition. Or am I missing something?
yes, because first off, that part of the question was answered. And secondly, that would work if the two Vectors we were adding were moving along the same direction, or opposite directions, but in this case they are not.What we are trying to solve is the angle of the Truck relative to the Ground.

mmiller39 said:
Thanks Doc...but I have checked and rechecked...do you think the part that says, what is the angle relative to Due east, has anything to do with the answer being different than what it is?
No, since that's what you are giving. The angle is some positive value with respect to the x-axis.

I assume you know your answer is "wrong" because some system rejected it? If so, it could be something stupid like roundoff error. Don't round anything off until the very last step, when you are finding the angle. (Doing so I get a slightly different answer than you did.)

Doc Al said:
No, since that's what you are giving. The angle is some positive value with respect to the x-axis.

I assume you know your answer is "wrong" because some system rejected it? If so, it could be something stupid like roundoff error. Don't round anything off until the very last step, when you are finding the angle. (Doing so I get a slightly different answer than you did.)

Thanks! I will try that and report back!

radou said:
Yes, it's just vector addition. But mmiller39 understands that!

mmiller39 said:
And secondly, that would work if the two Vectors we were adding were moving along the same direction, or opposite directions, but in this case they are not.
Actually, radou's version is correct as it stands since he wrote the equation in terms of vectors, not components.

mmiller39 said:
Thanks! I will try that and report back!

Doc, thanks for your attention to detail, 5.13 was my final angle and it was correct.

Thanks Again!

Related to Why isn't this working 2D Kinematics

1. Why is my 2D Kinematics experiment not producing accurate results?

There could be several reasons for inaccurate results in a 2D Kinematics experiment. Some common factors include human error, equipment malfunction, and external factors such as air resistance or friction. It is important to carefully review all steps of the experiment and double-check calculations to identify the source of the error.

2. How can I improve the precision of my 2D Kinematics experiment?

To improve the precision of your 2D Kinematics experiment, make sure to use high-quality equipment and calibrate it properly. Additionally, minimize external factors such as air resistance and friction by conducting the experiment in a controlled environment. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to reduce the impact of random errors.

3. What should I do if my 2D Kinematics experiment is not following the expected trend?

If your 2D Kinematics experiment is not following the expected trend, it could be due to incorrect data or calculations. Double-check all measurements and calculations to ensure they are accurate. If the data still does not follow the expected trend, it could be an indication of a new phenomenon or the need for further investigation.

4. Why is it important to consider both horizontal and vertical components in 2D Kinematics?

In 2D Kinematics, objects move in two dimensions - horizontally and vertically. It is important to consider both components because they can have different values and affect the overall motion of the object. Ignoring one component can lead to inaccurate results and a limited understanding of the object's motion.

5. How can I apply 2D Kinematics in real-life situations?

2D Kinematics is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the path of a moving object, and analyzing the motion of vehicles. It is also commonly used in sports to analyze the motion of players and objects. Understanding 2D Kinematics can help in making predictions, solving problems, and designing experiments in various fields of science and engineering.