Why must brake pads and rotors wear out?

• Thread starter FreeForAll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brake
In summary, their job is to convert motion into heat, but it can not be done without causing wear on a regular passenger vehicle.
FreeForAll
I understand their job is to convert motion into heat, but can it not be done without causing wear on a regular passenger vehicle? Even if price is of no concern?

Is it just we didn't find/create the ideal materials yet, or is there a scientific reason why they MUST wear out eventually? Bonus question: If we ignore brake pads and rotors (and cost), what would be the ideal method of slowing down a passenger vehicle without the need to replace brake components for the life of the vehicle? Is an electric motor the best solution we have today?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you heard of eddy current brakes? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current_brake

They are different, and they would not wear out in the conventional sense.

But for various reasons, they are not used in many applications, so I must conclude that they are not best for those applications.

How about magnetic fluid turbos on each wheel?

FreeForAll said:
I understand their job is to convert motion into heat, but can it not be done without causing wear on a regular passenger vehicle?
If you brake by having moving surfaces in physical contact with each other, you're going to get wear.
You can avoid wear by using breaking methods that do not make physical contact, as others have exemplified.

FreeForAll said:
Bonus question: If we ignore brake pads and rotors (and cost), what would be the ideal method of slowing down a passenger vehicle without the need to replace brake components for the life of the vehicle? Is an electric motor the best solution we have today?

Yes Ideally some form of regenerative braking. Put the energy back in the "tank".

However there are complicated issues... Such as what if the tank is a battery which just happens to be too full or too hot/cold to take any more energy?

And of course, batteries wear out.

DaveC426913 said:
If you brake by having moving surfaces in physical contact with each other, you're going to get wear.
Is this only in the context of my example (slowing down a vehicle), or is this a general rule that any time 2 surfaces rub each other to generate heat there must be wear?

I understand how shearing off microscopic particles generates heat, I was just wondering if the same heat could be generated by having the particles vibrating, but not actually breaking off.
I'm sure if it were that simple it would be in use now, I just don't know if it's a technical reason we haven't surmounted yet, or if it's a "law" that says there must be wear.

I took these answers and did a bit of research - seems like electricity is the way to go. I found out an electrical system (eddy current or electric motor) becomes less effective as the road speed drops. So if you're crawling in traffic they may not be effective. I guess this could be resolved by adding energy to the system (such as trying to turn the motor backwards). It might not make economical sense to do that, but I guess it does answer my original question. Being able to use the energy generated is a big bonus.

Magnetic fluid seems like it has no problem working at slow or even zero speeds, however I don't know what happens to this fluid as it heats up or how to make use of the energy.

FreeForAll said:
Is this only in the context of my example (slowing down a vehicle), or is this a general rule that any time 2 surfaces rub each other to generate heat there must be wear?
Ye, my understanding (though I am having trouble finding a specific reference) is that kinetic friction and wear are two parts of the same thing. You can't have one without the other.

One nice thing about the system as it exists right now is that the majority of the heat gets dumped into the rotor, which has a very high temperature capability and is directly exposed to the air, making it very good at shedding heat. In addition, as a braking system is a key safety system for the vehicle, the simplicity is a large benefit (a backdriven electrical motor has substantially more failure modes than a hydraulic cylinder pushing pads onto a disk). Because of that, I'm inclined to say the best system for a lot of cars today is how hybrids and electrical cars do it - have regenerative braking for normal use, but still have disk brakes for emergency or maximum effort stops. Many modern hybrids and electric cars can go well over 100k miles on one set of brake pads, and over a quarter million on one set of rotors, so they've very nearly made them lifetime components already.

Likes FreeForAll and russ_watters

1. Why do brake pads and rotors wear out?

Brake pads and rotors wear out due to the friction and heat generated while braking. As the brake pads rub against the rotors, they create a layer of friction material that wears away over time. This is a normal and necessary process to ensure proper braking performance.

2. How often do brake pads and rotors need to be replaced?

The lifespan of brake pads and rotors can vary depending on driving habits, road conditions, and the type of vehicle. On average, brake pads need to be replaced every 50,000 miles, while rotors may need to be replaced every 70,000 miles. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific vehicle.

3. Can I extend the life of my brake pads and rotors?

There are a few ways to extend the life of your brake pads and rotors. One is to avoid aggressive braking and instead, brake gradually. This will reduce the amount of heat and friction generated, therefore reducing wear. Additionally, regular maintenance such as cleaning and lubricating the brakes can help prolong their lifespan.

4. What are signs that my brake pads and rotors need to be replaced?

If you notice a squealing or grinding noise while braking, this is a sign that your brake pads are wearing thin and need to be replaced. Another sign is if your vehicle takes longer to come to a complete stop or if you feel vibrations while braking. These are all indications that your brake pads and rotors may need to be replaced.

5. Can I replace just the brake pads or do I need to replace the rotors as well?

In most cases, it is recommended to replace both the brake pads and rotors at the same time. This ensures that they wear evenly and can prolong the lifespan of both components. However, if the rotors are still in good condition, they may not need to be replaced. It is best to consult with a mechanic for their professional opinion.