Why my outboard carburetor corrosion?

• Thread starter vtr1005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Corrosion
In summary: tried to start his four stroke outboard, it wouldn't start again. then, he disassembled the carburetor and found corrosion inside. he's wondering why this happened, and wants to know if anyone can give him advice on how to fix it. also, he mentions that there might be a water intrusion issue. he recommends draining the carburetor bowl and checking for water droplets on the bottom of the fuel pickup. if there is water in the carburetor, he suggests running the gas out of the engine before putting it away. lastly, he advises storing the boat in a dry place.
vtr1005
My 4 stroke outboard was sitting about 2-3 months, it couldn't start again last week.
Then I disassemble the carburetor and want to clean it inside.
But badly, lot of corrosion inside the carburetor.

Can anyone tell me why it corrosion like this?
because I store the outboard beside the sea? because the quality of the fuel not good? or any problem?

Any advise can give me ?

Attachments

• 照片 (2).JPG
    照片 (2).JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 748
Engineering news on Phys.org
Salty water intrusion. The materials making a carburetor are selected for corrosion resistance in 'normal' use. My experience suggests that salty water has been stagnant there for quite a while.

Did you find a white gel-like substance?
Water made its way into the carburetor.
Even rainwater mixed with gas will eventually corrode that aluminum casting,
Denatured alcohol is a good solvent for it.
And you need to clean out those tiny little passages around idle jet and just behind throttle butterfly - i blow carb cleaner through them

You'll do a lot better to run the gas out of your carb before putting the motor away.
Unplug the fuel line and run it until it won't go anymore even with choke on.

Every Evinrude i ever owned had provision to drain the carburetor bowl-
usually nowadays a flat head screw-in plug on side of carb near bottom.
In the 50's you'd unscrew the high speed mixture knob , if you have one of those see if it goes in near the bottom .

Modern gas in the US can carry water - it is miscible with the ethanol. See if there's an "Ethanol Free" station near you.
If you use those portable tanks - rainwater can get in through the vent on gas cap. Store them under cover.
If it's a tank built into your boat you need to run some gas into a glass jug, let it sit and look for water droplets on bottom. Tilt the boat so any water in the tank will run down to fuel pickup.
Only time i ever got towed in was from rainwater in the tank. My fault, for had i looked carefully i'd have seen it through the translucent plastic tank.

Good luck

old jim

1. Why does my outboard carburetor corrode?

The most common reason for outboard carburetor corrosion is exposure to saltwater. Saltwater is highly corrosive and can easily damage metal components over time.

2. How can I prevent my outboard carburetor from corroding?

The best way to prevent corrosion is to rinse your outboard engine with freshwater after each use in saltwater. This will help remove any salt residue that can cause corrosion. Additionally, using a corrosion inhibitor spray can help protect metal parts.

3. Does the brand of fuel I use affect carburetor corrosion?

Yes, the quality of fuel can impact corrosion. Ethanol-based fuels can attract moisture, leading to corrosion. It is recommended to use a stabilizer additive to prevent this issue.

4. How often should I clean my outboard carburetor to prevent corrosion?

It is generally recommended to clean the carburetor at least once a year, or more frequently if you use your outboard motor often. Regular cleaning can help remove any built-up salt and debris that can cause corrosion.

5. Can damaged gaskets or seals contribute to carburetor corrosion?

Yes, damaged gaskets or seals can allow water and debris to enter the carburetor, leading to corrosion. It is important to regularly check and replace any damaged gaskets or seals to prevent this issue.