Why non-standard analysis is not used?

In summary, there is a branch of analysis that rigorizes infinitesimals like epsilon-deltas. However, it is not commonly taught due to several reasons, including the fact that it is a fringe topic and students would not be able to read other research papers. It is also difficult to make the hyperreal numbers rigorous in an undergraduate course. Therefore, it is recommended to teach both approaches, although there may not be enough time to cover both.
Alpharup
In analysis, we do encounter tougher epsilon-delta proofs instead of more intuitive algebraic methods( those involving infintesimals). I have read that there is branch where infintesimals are rigorized like epsilon-deltas. My question is why people don't use that?
Also, is it logically sound? How long does it take to understand axioms?
Sorry, if I appear to be less informed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is sound, it is elementary equivalent to the standard Reals, meaning every 1st order statement from the standard Reals is also true for the non-standards. Only difference is in the Archimedean principle. And I think it is a matter of force of habit to a good degree.

Likes Alpharup
Can least upper bound axiom of a set of real numbers, be extended to hyper-real numbers?

Alpharup said:
Can least upper bound axiom of a set of real numbers, be extended to hyper-real numbers?

Yes. Any statement about the reals can be extended to hold true for the hyperreals. This is the transfer principle. This does not mean that you should just take the same statement. Obviously, the upper bound axiom for the hyperreals does not hold if it is stated like "any set that is bounded above has an upper bound". This will be false. You'll need to do some more modifications. I highly recommend Goldblatt's "Lectures on the hyperreals" for a nice introduction.

Then, why is it not taught? This is a good question since the infinitesimal approach is useful in math and outside math. I think it's a shame it's not taught. But there are reasons for not teaching it. Whether they are good reasons is something you must decide:

1) They have been teaching calculus the modern way fine for close to 100 years.
2) Hyperreal numbers are logically sound and useful, but are a fringe topic. Over 99.99% of research papers and books nowadays will not use the language of hyperreal numbers. This means that if you don't teach the standard approach, your students will not be able to read books and papers later on. This is obviously a very bad thing.
3) In an analysis course, you make calculus rigorous. Making the real numbers and standard calculus rigorous is already not so easy. But making the hyperreal numbers rigorous would be impossible for an undergrad course. It requires a great deal of advanced logic. This means that mathematics students need to take the hyperreal numbers on faith until grad school and possibly forever. This is against the spirit of mathematics.

As you see, not teaching the standard approach is a very bad thing. I am personally a proponent of teaching both approaches. But then you might not have enough time to accomplish this.

1. Why is non-standard analysis not widely used in mathematics?

Non-standard analysis is not widely used in mathematics because it is a relatively new branch of mathematics that was only developed in the 20th century. As a result, many mathematicians are not familiar with its concepts and may be hesitant to adopt it in their work.

2. What is the main difference between standard and non-standard analysis?

The main difference between standard and non-standard analysis is the way they define the concept of infinity. In standard analysis, infinity is treated as an abstract concept, while in non-standard analysis, it is treated as a number that is larger than any standard number.

3. Is non-standard analysis considered a valid mathematical approach?

Yes, non-standard analysis is considered a valid mathematical approach. It has been rigorously developed and has been shown to be consistent with standard analysis. However, it is still a subject of ongoing research and not widely accepted by all mathematicians.

4. Are there any practical applications of non-standard analysis?

Yes, non-standard analysis has practical applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science. It has been used to solve problems related to optimization, control theory, and probability.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using non-standard analysis?

One potential drawback of using non-standard analysis is that it may lead to results that are difficult to interpret or do not align with our intuition. Additionally, it requires a deep understanding of both standard and non-standard concepts, making it more challenging for mathematicians to adopt it in their work.