Why normal Zeeman effect contains three components?

In summary, the normal Zeeman effect splits spectral lines into three components due to the selection rule for the magnetic quantum number. This means that states with different values of ##m## split, leading to three sub-levels for the P orbital and five sub-levels for the D orbital. However, when considering transitions between these orbitals, the lines are grouped in such a way that there are only three distinct lines present. This is due to the fact that the energy difference in the presence of a magnetic field only depends on the change in ##m##, and not on the specific values of ##m##. This formula is valid only for the normal Zeeman effect, which occurs in singlet states with a total spin of zero and a
misko
Can someone explain to me why normal Zeeman effect splits spectral line into three components and not into 4, 5 or any other number?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the selection rule for the magnetic quantum number?

Yes, it can be changed by +1, -1, 0.

In normal Zeeman effect, states with different ##m## split, accordingly the transition lines also split according to their value of ##\Delta m##.

I know that normal Zeeman effect happens when total spin of electrons in an atom is S=0.
This means that energy levels splitting in external magnetic field is done only on orbital angular momentum.

So for example P orbital will split into three sub-levels with slightly different energies. Now, it make sense to me that if there is transition from P orbital (L=1) to S orbital (L=0) there will be splitting to three components because P is split to three sub-levels and S orbital has no splitting.
But what about transition from say, D to P orbital? D orbital will be split into 5 sub-levels and P orbital will be split to 3 sub-levels so that gives many more combinations for transitions, even when selection rule for magnetic moment is taken into account.
So, (assuming total spin is zero), for D orbital we have J = 2,1,0,-1,-2 and for P orbital there is J=1,0,-1.
Possible transitions are then:
##D_2 \rightarrow P_1##
##D_1 \rightarrow P_1##
##D_0 \rightarrow P_1##

##D_1 \rightarrow P_0##
##D_0 \rightarrow P_0##
##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_0##

##D_0 \rightarrow P_{-1}##
##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_{-1}##
##D_{-2} \rightarrow P_{-1}##

So there are 9 lines here, each respecting the selection rule for magnetic quantum number.
What is wrong in this logic, where is my error in understanding?

The formula for the transition energy under Zeeman effect is
$$
\Delta E = \Delta E_0 + \mu_B B \Delta m
$$
where ##\Delta E_0## is the energy difference without magnetic field. As you see the energy difference in the presence of magnetic field only depends on ##\Delta m##. In your example the lines ##d_2 \to p_1## and ##d_1 \to p_0## coincide.

I think I am starting to get it now...

So in my example there are 9 transitions but they are grouped such that only 3 different lines are present, right?
If I group transitions that belong to the same line they would be like this:
line 1:
##D_2 \rightarrow P_1##
##D_1 \rightarrow P_0##
##D_0 \rightarrow P_{-1}##

line 2:
##D_1 \rightarrow P_1##
##D_0 \rightarrow P_0##
##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_{-1}##

line 3:
##D_0 \rightarrow P_1##
##D_{-1} \rightarrow P_0##
##D_{-2} \rightarrow P_{-1}##

Is this correct?

Btw, This formula you gave me, it is valid only for normal Zeeman effect right? I mean g-factor is 1 in the formula which applies to singlet states with total spin equal to zero.

misko said:
Is this correct?
Yes.

misko said:
This formula you gave me, it is valid only for normal Zeeman effect right? I mean g-factor is 1 in the formula which applies to singlet states with total spin equal to zero.
Yes.

Likes misko

1. Why does the normal Zeeman effect contain three components?

The normal Zeeman effect contains three components because it involves the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. The three components correspond to the three possible orientations of the electron spin relative to the magnetic field: parallel, antiparallel, and perpendicular.

2. What causes the normal Zeeman effect to occur?

The normal Zeeman effect occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic moment of an atom or molecule and an external magnetic field. This interaction causes the energy levels of the atom or molecule to split, resulting in the three observed components in the spectral lines.

3. Why are there only three components in the normal Zeeman effect?

The number of components in the normal Zeeman effect is determined by the allowed orientations of the electron spin relative to the magnetic field. Since the electron spin can only be parallel, antiparallel, or perpendicular to the magnetic field, there are only three possible energy levels and therefore three components in the spectral lines.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the normal Zeeman effect?

The strength of the magnetic field affects the normal Zeeman effect by determining the amount of energy splitting between the components. The greater the strength of the magnetic field, the larger the energy splitting and the further apart the components will be in the spectral lines.

5. Can the normal Zeeman effect be observed in all atoms and molecules?

Yes, the normal Zeeman effect can be observed in all atoms and molecules that possess a non-zero magnetic moment and are placed in an external magnetic field. However, the magnitude of the effect may vary depending on the specific properties of the atom or molecule.