Why our brain doesn't let us see into future in dreams or waking state?

In summary, it's important to be careful what you read on the internet because there's a lot of misinformation.
peace800
Hi

I have suffered from poor sleep due to anxiety and have had bad dreams. I began to research on sleeping problems and i came across a thread in a forum where someone wrote that altered mind states can occur as a result of anxiety stress and this let's the brain do things such as see or have visions of the future. This scared me as I had bad dreams and began to think what if these are from the future?

I come on this forum as I have read more sane discussions which put my mind at ease saying that it is not possible to see the future due to the arrow of time going in one way, but i got scared because of what i read saying that those with anxiety use more of the brain and therefore end up having these phenomenons of seeing future etc.

I really hope you guys can assure me that it is me being irrational with this thinking that i can see future or dream events in the future due to my brain and anxiety etc?

Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
granpa said:
dreaming is suspending your disbelief. nothing more. (its related to the inductive thinking process)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

if you are having bad dreams and believe that you are seeing the future then maybe that is why you are anxious in the first place.

Thankyou.

You are right, that's why I am anxious. I believe it isn't possible to see the future like that, and I came here to be assured of that i.e. the brain and what it can and can't do. I became anxious when some people said that we can see or peak into the future etc.

peace800 said:
I have suffered from poor sleep due to anxiety and have had bad dreams. I began to research on sleeping problems and i came across a thread in a forum where someone wrote that altered mind states can occur as a result of anxiety stress and this let's the brain do things such as see or have visions of the future.

Be careful trusting what you read on the internet. There's a lot of garbage out there.
Maybe an MD could offer you some suggestions for getting your anxiety and sleep problems under control.

p.s. This isn't a topic for philosophy.

I can assure you that there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that our brains can see into the future through dreams or altered mind states caused by anxiety. Dreams are a natural and normal part of our sleep cycle and are believed to be a way for our brains to process and make sense of our waking experiences. They are not a reliable source of information about the future.

Furthermore, the idea that people with anxiety use more of their brain and therefore have access to future visions is not supported by scientific research. While anxiety may cause changes in brain activity, these changes do not give us the ability to see into the future.

The concept of time is a complex and widely debated topic in science, but the general consensus is that time moves in a linear direction and cannot be altered or predicted. Therefore, it is not possible for our brains to see or experience events in the future through dreams or altered mind states.

It is important to remember that dreams are not a reflection of reality and should not be taken as such. If you are experiencing anxiety or fear related to your dreams, it is important to seek help from a mental health professional who can provide you with evidence-based techniques to manage your anxiety and improve your sleep.

1. Why can't our brain accurately predict the future in dreams?

Our brain is not designed to predict the future in dreams. Dreams are a product of our imagination and are influenced by our thoughts, emotions, and memories. They do not have access to external information that could help predict the future.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that dreams can predict the future?

There is no scientific evidence that dreams can accurately predict the future. While some people may have had experiences where their dreams seemed to come true, these are likely coincidences or a result of our brain's ability to make connections and interpret information.

3. Can our brain see into the future in the waking state?

No, our brain cannot see into the future in the waking state either. Our brain is constantly processing information from our senses and making predictions based on past experiences, but it is not capable of accurately predicting future events.

4. Why do some people believe they have precognitive dreams?

Some people may believe they have precognitive dreams because of confirmation bias, where they only remember the dreams that seem to come true and forget the ones that do not. Additionally, our brain is wired to find patterns and make connections, so it may perceive coincidences as evidence of precognition.

5. Can we train our brain to see into the future in dreams?

No, we cannot train our brain to see into the future in dreams. While some people may claim to have the ability to lucid dream or control their dreams, this does not mean they can accurately predict the future. Our dreams are a product of our subconscious and cannot be controlled or trained in this way.