Why parts of the laser ray seem brighter than other parts

In summary, when we see a laser ray, it seems that part of the ray are brighter than the other parts and they seem like they’re vibrating and moving. It also seems there are fractures in its path.
titansarus
Hi.

When we see a laser ray, it seems that part of the ray are brighter than the other parts and they seem like they’re vibrating and moving. It also seems there are fractures in its path. I want to know why do we see like this?

For example see this picture (it is from wikipedia). I circled some parts with pink. Why some of these parts are brighter than the others? And it seems there are fractures in its path (the rightmost circled one). Is it because of the procedure of making laser (stimulating) and that it is not a completely constant procedure in atomic scale?
Sorry for my English and thanks in advance.
6EEU8Xy.jpg

Attachments

• 6EEU8Xy.jpg
    6EEU8Xy.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 625
Science news on Phys.org
probably differing amounts of dust in the air

The only reason you are seeing the beams at all is that a colloidal dispersion (smoke, vapor (fog), or dust) is being used.
In the photo above, most beams are saturating the image - so variations in their intensity will not be rendered.
For the weaker beams, there are variations in the density of the fog.

titansarus said:
When we see a laser ray,...
... there must something in its way.

.Scott said:
The only reason you are seeing the beams at all is that a colloidal dispersion (smoke, vapor (fog), or dust) is being used.
You mean in vacuum you won't see the polarized beam at all. How can we test that here on earth?

P.S. (restatement of the first part): that means in vacuum you won't see the polarized beam at all.

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
You mean in vacuum you won't see the polarized beam at all.
You would see it, if it hits your eye.

A.T. said:
You would see it, if it hits your eye.
Or see the dot when it hits an object. (My original statement (the first part) was not a question.)

Stavros Kiri said:
You mean in vacuum you won't see the polarized beam at all. How can we test that here on earth?

P.S. (restatement of the first part): that means in vacuum you won't see the polarized beam at all.
About the 2nd part: we can use a vacuum airtight glass tube and let the laser cross it. I just tried and it works. No beam inside.

[Or we can observe the beam changes for dimmer and dimmer air ... . That kind of explains (/is related to) also the original question:]
titansarus said:
When we see a laser ray, it seems that part of the ray are brighter than the other parts and they seem like they’re vibrating and moving. It also seems there are fractures in its path. I want to know why do we see like this?

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
You've heard, maybe, of vacuum chambers?

phinds said:
You've heard, maybe, of vacuum chambers?
You're late!
Stavros Kiri said:
About the 2nd part: we can use a vacuum airtight glass tube and let the laser cross it. I just tried and it works. No beam inside.

Stavros Kiri said:
You're late!
Yeah, not paying enough attention.

phinds said:
Yeah, not paying enough attention.
Don't we all ... sometimes

phinds said:
probably differing amounts of dust in the air

This. Light always* travels in completely straight lines. For you to see the laser "beam" from the side, the light has to bounce off of something, like moisture or a speck of dust.
In film production, or at concerts, they will often use lasers in combination with dry-ice smoke machines and/or smoke from pyrotechnics to create the affect of a beam going through the air.

*(I don't know what happens to light when near black holes or other cosmic disturbances)

1. Why do some parts of the laser ray appear brighter than others?

This is due to the distribution of energy within the laser beam. The laser beam is made up of photons, which carry energy. The photons may not be evenly distributed across the entire beam, resulting in some areas appearing brighter than others.

2. Does the quality of the laser affect the brightness of the beam?

Yes, the quality of the laser can have an impact on the brightness of the beam. A higher quality laser will have a more uniform distribution of photons, resulting in a more evenly bright beam.

3. Can the environment impact the brightness of the laser beam?

Yes, the environment can play a role in the perceived brightness of the laser beam. Dust, smoke, or other particles in the air can scatter light and make the beam appear less bright. Similarly, a clean and clear environment can make the beam appear brighter.

4. Is it possible to adjust the brightness of a laser beam?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the brightness of a laser beam by changing the power output of the laser or by using optical components to manipulate the beam. However, this will also affect the quality and other characteristics of the beam.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a laser beam appearing brighter in some areas?

Yes, there are safety concerns with a laser beam appearing brighter in some areas. The brighter areas may have a higher concentration of energy, which can be harmful to the eyes or skin. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when working with lasers.