Why the Earth moves around the Sun forever and ever and ever?

In summary: Only if you are using general relativity, and there's no reason to do that here.Newton developed his theory of gravity, in which gravity is a force determined by ##F=Gm_1m_2/r^2## late in the seventeenth century. Two hundred and fifty years later Einstein developed his theory of gravity, in which gravity is not a force but instead the result of spacetime curvature described by ##G_{\mu\nu}=8\pi{T}_{\mu\nu}##.It's easy to look at that history and say that Einstein showed that Newton was wrong and gravity isn't a force - but that would be wrong. Gravity is what is, and the universe does what it does, and
parshyaa
why Earth moves around sun forever and ever and ever.
My attempt for answer:
  • Earth wants to move in straight Line forever and ever and ever(as there is no ext. Force)but due to massive sun space get bends(according to GR) and moving Earth starts moves in circle(or not perfect circle) , as it was moving in straight line forever and ever and ever it continues so in circle
I want the main answer for why Earth moves forever and ever and ever,why shape do not makes any effect .​

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's first law.

Likes parshyaa and Bystander
russ_watters said:
Newton's first law.
You mean my reason is correct

parshyaa said:
You mean my reason is correct
You mean, there is no effect of shape occurred by sun in space and time, earliar it was moving in st. Line forever and ever and ever which it still continues in circle also

Is this homework? The wording implies two different questions at two different levels. The "forever and ever and ever" part implies to me that that is the main question, not the "why Earth moves around sun" part. So I was answering that part.

The level of the second part imlpies a lower level for the first part: I would not use General Relativity as an answer to why the Earth is in orbit, I'd use Newton's law of gravity. And the two parts become very related to each other when using Newton's Laws of gravity and motion.

russ_watters said:
Is this homework? The wording implies two different questions at two different levels. The "forever and ever and ever" part implies to me that that is the main question, not the "why Earth moves around sun" part. So I was answering that part.

The level of the second part imlpies a lower level for the first part: I would not use General Relativity as an answer to why the Earth is in orbit, I'd use Newton's law of gravity. And the two parts become very related to each other when using Newton's Laws of gravity and motion.
No its not a HW question , I just wanted to know that Newtons first law say that object without any force will be in motion in a straight Line forever and ever, so is it true when its path becomes circular due to bending of space by sun .

parshyaa said:
Earth wants to move in straight Line
It is essential to realize the nothing inanimate "wants" to do anything. Anthropomorphism can get in the way of understanding things. You can choose between a Newtonian explanation of orbits or a GR explanation - each one has its place.
Things will go on 'for ever and ever' unless there is some energy loss involved. The loss of energy in the Earth / Sun system is very very low and the orbit will decay by an insignificant degree in our time scale (undetectable until quite recently). But there are loss mechanisms even in astronomical processes and everything changes in time.

parshyaa said:
I want the main answer for why Earth moves forever and ever and ever,why shape do not makes any effect .

I'm not sure what "shape" you are referring to here. Shape of the orbit?

If space were a true vacuum, then it would move forever as there are no dissipative forces. In reality, since space is not a true vacuum, over a long time the Earth's orbit would change due to collisions with particles in its path around the sun. That would be a very long time.

pixel said:
I'm not sure what "shape" you are referring to here. Shape of the orbit?
yes the circular orbit , Newtons law says that it will move forever and ever and ever in a straight line but here the path or orbit becomes circular then also Earth moves forever and ever and ever,why??
main-qimg-65276e2942c653d621e0bd0ac1d665ef?convert_to_webp=true.png

The shape is due to gravity pulling it into a circular (elliptical) path. The "forever and ever" is due to there being no force opposing the motion (if we stick to circular).

russ_watters said:
The shape is due to gravity pulling it into a circular (elliptical) path. The "forever and ever" is due to there being no force opposing the motion (if we stick to circular).
You mean that there is no effect of shape circular(eleptical) on Newtons first law , which says that if there is no force object will move in straight line but here its path became circular.

parshyaa said:
You mean that there is no effect of shape circular(eleptical) on Newtons first law , which says that if there is no force object will move in straight line but here its path became circular.

There is a force here - gravity - so the Earth doesn't move in a straight line.

russ_watters said:

Why have to stick to circular?

pixel said:
There is a force here - gravity - so the Earth doesn't move in a straight line.
But gravity is not a force its because of shape

Not forever. Eventually the Sun will engulf the Earth. But that won't be for a few billion years.

Likes parshyaa
khashishi said:
Not forever. Eventually the Sun will engulf the Earth. But that won't be for a few billion years.
Now that's what I was searching , thanks khashishi

parshyaa said:
But gravity is not a force its because of shape
Only if you are using general relativity, and there's no reason to do that here.

Newton developed his theory of gravity, in which gravity is a force determined by ##F=Gm_1m_2/r^2## late in the seventeenth century. Two hundred and fifty years later Einstein developed his theory of gravity, in which gravity is not a force but instead the result of spacetime curvature described by ##G_{\mu\nu}=8\pi{T}_{\mu\nu}##.

It's easy to look at that history and say that Einstein showed that Newton was wrong and gravity isn't a force - but that would be wrong. Gravity is what is, and the universe does what it does, and the two theories are two different mathematical descriptions of that behavior. Although they arrive at this result in different ways, both theories predict that the Earth will move in an elliptical orbit that is very close to circular. In both theories the underlying physical explanation for why the Earth can keep moving is the same: there is no friction acting on it in any significant way.

It is fair to say that Einstein's theory is better than Newton's, because it makes more accurate predictions over a wider range of physical problems than Newton's. But saying that Einstein's theory s better is not the same as saying that Newton's theory is wrong; it works just fine for planetary motions. Indeed, I'll venture a stronger statement: it is impossible to learn and understand Einstein's theory if you do not already have a solid understanding of Newton's theory.

Likes dextercioby, sophiecentaur and parshyaa

1. How does the Earth move around the Sun?

The Earth moves around the Sun due to a phenomenon known as orbit. This means that the Earth is constantly being pulled towards the Sun by its gravitational force, causing it to revolve around the Sun in a circular or elliptical path.

2. Why does the Earth move around the Sun forever and ever?

The Earth moves around the Sun forever and ever due to the principle of inertia. This means that once the Earth is set in motion, it will continue moving unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is the Sun's gravitational pull, which keeps the Earth in its orbit.

3. What keeps the Earth from falling into the Sun?

The Earth's orbit is maintained by a delicate balance between its inertia and the Sun's gravitational force. While the Sun's gravity is constantly pulling the Earth towards it, the Earth's inertia keeps it from falling into the Sun. This results in the Earth continuously revolving around the Sun.

4. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one orbit around the Sun?

The Earth takes approximately 365.24 days (or one year) to complete one orbit around the Sun. This is known as the Earth's orbital period, and it is the reason why we have seasons and a 24-hour day cycle.

5. Has the Earth always orbited the Sun?

Yes, the Earth has always orbited the Sun since it was formed approximately 4.5 billion years ago. However, the Earth's orbit has changed slightly over time due to factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets and the Moon, but it has always remained in orbit around the Sun.