Why the energy inversely propotional to n^2 in Bohr model

In summary: Just remember that the specific form of the potential determines the energy levels for a given system.
KFC
After reading some materials on Bohr model, I understand the model is more or less incorrect, especially in terms of "orbital". I just wonder if the energy expression is also wrong or not.

In my text for general quantum theory, the energy about two neighboring level is given as ##\Delta E = E_n-E_{n-1} = \hbar\omega##
which is ##n## independent. But in Bohr model about hydrogen, the quantized energy is given as
##E_n = -E_0/n^2##
which is inversely proportional to ##n^2##. This will give, for example from level ##n## to ##n-1##

##
E_n-E_{n-1} = \frac{-E_0}{(n-1)^2-n^2}
##
which is ##n## dependent. I am quite confusing why is it. Is Bohr model about energy is correct for hydrogen or hydrogen-like atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula ##E_n = -E_0/n^2## is correct, and is due to the shape of the hydrogen potential.
The hydrogen potential has a top, so the energies levels get closer together as they approach E=0 from below. For E > 0, the energy levels are continuous and the hydrogen atom is said to be "ionized".

Your quantum theory text should not give ##\hbar\omega## increments in energy for the hydrogen potential - I suspect you have misread it - that spacing is for an approximation for other types of potential called "harmonic oscillator".

Note: your equation for the transition energy is incorrect. Try again.

See:
http://astro.unl.edu/naap/hydrogen/transitions.html

Simon Bridge said:
The formula ##E_n = -E_0/n^2## is correct, and is due to the shape of the hydrogen potential.
The hydrogen potential has a top, so the energies levels get closer together as they approach E=0 from below. For E > 0, the energy levels are continuous and the hydrogen atom is said to be "ionized".

Your quantum theory text should not give ##\hbar\omega## increments in energy for the hydrogen potential - I suspect you have misread it - that spacing is for an approximation for other types of potential called "harmonic oscillator".

Note: your equation for the transition energy is incorrect. Try again.

See:
http://astro.unl.edu/naap/hydrogen/transitions.html
Thanks a lot. I think I misunderstood some context in the text. I always think the ##\Delta E=\hbar\omega## is universal for all quantum system. Your reply help me to recall the harmonic oscillator. So like what you said, the explicit form of energy for a quantum system is really depending on the potential, is that what you mean?

Thanks anyway.

KFC said:
So like what you said, the explicit form of energy for a quantum system is really depending on the potential, is that what you mean?
That is correct - it is exactly the same for classical physics: the dynamics depends on the specific form of the potential. For instance, a ball rolling around the inside of a bowl - requires more kinetic energy to reach the same distance from the center in a steep sided bowl as for a shallow bowl.

You can see this has to be the case if you consider the case of a repulsive potential, or the free-space potential (V=0 everywhere): does it make sense for the allowed energies in these situations to have the same separation as for bound-states?

Likes KFC
Thanks for clarifying it. I appreciate your help.

No worries.

1. Why is energy inversely proportional to n^2 in the Bohr model?

The energy in the Bohr model is inversely proportional to n^2 because n represents the energy level or orbit of the electron. As the energy level increases, the distance between the electron and the nucleus also increases. This results in a weaker force of attraction between the two particles, leading to a decrease in the energy of the electron.

2. How does the Bohr model explain the energy levels of electrons?

The Bohr model explains the energy levels of electrons by proposing that electrons can only exist in specific orbits around the nucleus. These orbits correspond to different energy levels, with the inner orbits having lower energy and the outer orbits having higher energy. The energy levels are determined by the distance between the electron and the nucleus, with closer orbits having lower energy.

3. Does the energy of an electron change as it moves between energy levels in the Bohr model?

Yes, the energy of an electron changes as it moves between energy levels in the Bohr model. When an electron absorbs energy, it jumps to a higher energy level. Similarly, when an electron releases energy, it moves to a lower energy level. This change in energy is represented by the energy formula in the Bohr model, which is inversely proportional to n^2.

4. How does the Bohr model explain the emission spectrum of an atom?

The Bohr model explains the emission spectrum of an atom by proposing that electrons can only exist in specific energy levels. When an electron jumps from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of light. This light has a specific wavelength and corresponds to a specific color in the emission spectrum. By analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted, we can determine the energy levels of the electron in the atom.

5. Is the energy formula in the Bohr model applicable to all atoms?

No, the energy formula in the Bohr model is only applicable to one-electron atoms, such as hydrogen. For multi-electron atoms, the energy levels are more complex and cannot be accurately predicted using the Bohr model. However, the Bohr model laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics, which provides a more accurate understanding of the energy levels and behavior of electrons in all atoms.