Why the grounding tabs on faceplates for motherboards?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grounding
In summary: EM radiation from TVs and other RF sources can interfere with the operation of nearby external communications equipment. The tabs on the motherboard plates act as a barrier to keep short-wavelength radiation (radio frequency energy) from entering the case.It's to keep the EM radiation inside the box so it won't mess up your neighbors radio reception.Most people are completely unaware of how crummy our technology would work if there weren't rules to keep your phone, radio, car, TV, PC, washing machine, microwave, etc. from messing up each other.Long ago, before strict EM regulations, when many TVs still had dial tuners, my neighbour rang to say my Apple ][+ 3D Astronomy program's elusive bug was a re-used
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Are the tabs on the faceplates for motherboards useful?
Summary: Are the tabs on the faceplates for motherboards useful?

Typical motherboards come with "plates" that fit over the connectors that are exposed on the outside of the computer case. These plates have tabs that press against metal around the connectors - presumably to furnish a ground. Are these tabs actually useful? Aren't there already enough grounds without these tabs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:

Typical motherboards come with "plates" that fit over the connectors that are exposed on the outside of the computer case. These plates have tabs that press against metal around the connectors - presumably to furnish a ground. Are these tabs actually useful? Aren't there already enough grounds without these tabs?
Yes indeed because if you scuff across the carpet and touch the case you want the path to ground to not include any integrated circuit

Likes sysprog
hutchphd said:
Yes indeed because if you scuff across the carpet and touch the case you want the path to ground to not include any integrated circuit

The metal around the connectors is already grounded to the motherboard without the tabs attached. The motherboard is grounded to the case by the metal stand-offs. So how does grounding explain a need for tabs?

I think they are primarily there to reduce RF emissions. A good shielded enclosure for electronics will minimize the size of holes and slots that can allow EMI out. So it's not really about "ground points" as it is about a continuous emi shielding.

Likes essenmein, sysprog, Asymptotic and 2 others
DaveE said:
I think they are primarily there to reduce RF emissions. A good shielded enclosure for electronics will minimize the size of holes and slots that can allow EMI out. So it's not really about "ground points" as it is about a continuous emi shielding.
I am unsure as to the geometry here. So are these additional plates to keep short wavelength stuff from rattling around inside the case by trapping it in the motherboard/groundplane proper?

The box is full of RF noise radiated by exposed internal signals. Any gap or slot longer than about one tenth of a wavelength may radiate RF energy that can interfere with the operation of nearby external communications equipment. A 3 GHz processor clock has a fundamental wavelength of 10 cm, so slots need to be kept shorter than 1 cm. The fingers are not protective “earthing” or “grounding” so much as they are “shorting” the RF currents that would otherwise circulate around the longer slot aperture, reducing it to many shorter slots with significantly lower total radiation.

• Informative
Likes sysprog, Asymptotic and Tom.G
hutchphd said:
I am unsure as to the geometry here. So are these additional plates to keep short wavelength stuff from rattling around inside the case by trapping it in the motherboard/groundplane proper?
It's to keep the EM radiation inside the box so it won't mess up your neighbors radio reception.
Most people are completely unaware of how crummy our technology would work if there weren't rules to keep your phone, radio, car, TV, PC, washing machine, microwave, etc. from messing up each other.

Likes sysprog
Long ago, before strict EM regulations, when many TVs still had dial tuners, my neighbour rang to say my Apple ][+ 3D Astronomy program's elusive bug was a re-used variable name on line whatever...

Yeah, my TV modulator was spamming the entire street !

Likes sysprog, Asymptotic and Tom.G

Related to Why the grounding tabs on faceplates for motherboards?

1. Why do motherboards have grounding tabs on their faceplates?

The grounding tabs on faceplates for motherboards serve as a safety measure to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) from damaging the delicate electronic components on the motherboard. ESD can occur when there is a buildup of static electricity on a person's body and then gets discharged onto the motherboard, potentially causing damage.

2. Are the grounding tabs necessary for the motherboard to function properly?

Yes, the grounding tabs are necessary for the motherboard to function properly. Without proper grounding, ESD can damage the motherboard and its components, leading to malfunctions or even complete failure.

3. Can I remove the grounding tabs from the motherboard's faceplate?

No, it is not recommended to remove the grounding tabs from the motherboard's faceplate. They are an essential safety feature and removing them could put your motherboard at risk of ESD damage.

4. How do I know if my motherboard's grounding tabs are working?

You can test the grounding tabs by using an ESD wrist strap and an ESD mat. Connect the wrist strap to a grounded surface and place the ESD mat on your work surface. Then, touch the grounding tabs on the motherboard's faceplate with the wrist strap and check if there is a proper connection. If there is, the grounding tabs are working correctly.

5. Can I add additional grounding tabs to my motherboard?

While it is possible to add additional grounding tabs to your motherboard, it is not recommended unless you have experience working with electronics. Adding too many grounding tabs can actually disrupt the electrical flow and cause malfunctions. It is best to leave the existing grounding tabs as they are.