Why the historical flaws haven't changed?

• Thread starter DubaUe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Historical
In summary, the conversation discusses the repetition of history and the flaws of elders, as well as the role of reason and experience in avoiding mistakes. The speaker also mentions their interest in philosophy and their desire to pursue a career in science and music while questioning the education system. They inquire about the mistakes that should be recognized and avoided to achieve success, and the potential role of learning from the mistakes of others in advancing further.
DubaUe
Why is it that history and all the way to this present day, people have noticed the flaws of elders before them.. yet nothing has changed? Is the study of these flaws just lacking? why is the history repeating it'self chain happening so often to events of many kinds and varieties?

Physics news on Phys.org
humans rely on a combination of experience and reason; where reason is lacking (as it is in most people), then i would say that they are doomed to repeat history via personal experience. that is not to say that people who make use of their reasoning are not immune to folly as well.

eggshell said:
humans rely on a combination of experience and reason; where reason is lacking (as it is in most people), then i would say that they are doomed to repeat history via personal experience. that is not to say that people who make use of their reasoning are not immune to folly as well.

Well I'm 15 and have a long way to live life.. want to pursue career in science ANd music. But am a philosopher which has developed the suspicions of education and the system that some of my role models have. And I like to question things, which is why I came to pf. My question now is: What mistakes should be mostly recognized that people make, that i can avoid by going a different route? Well also, A few people of history such as great scientists that are well known, seem to hint off that they lived by the mistakes of others, Is this why they seem to advance further than some other people?

This does not meet the guidelines of the philosophy forum. Please read both sets of guidelines at the top of the forum.

I believe the answer to this question lies in the complexity of human behavior and societal systems. History is not a simple cause and effect relationship, but rather a web of interconnected factors that shape the course of events. While we may recognize flaws in our elders and past events, changing them is not always a straightforward process.

Firstly, humans are creatures of habit and tend to resist change. This can be seen in the perpetuation of certain flawed behaviors and systems throughout history. Even when we acknowledge the need for change, it can be difficult to break away from established norms and patterns.

Additionally, historical flaws are often deeply ingrained in societal structures and institutions. These systems have been built over time and changing them requires significant effort and resources. Furthermore, there may be powerful individuals or groups who benefit from maintaining the status quo and actively resist change.

Moreover, the study of history and its flaws is an ongoing process. While we continue to learn from past events, it is not always easy to apply those lessons to current situations. This is because each event is unique and influenced by a multitude of factors that may not have existed in the past.

Lastly, the repetition of historical flaws may also be attributed to the fact that humans are fallible beings and prone to making the same mistakes. This is not to say that we cannot learn and improve, but it takes time and effort to break away from ingrained patterns of behavior.

In conclusion, the study of historical flaws is not lacking, but rather a complex and ongoing process. It requires a thorough understanding of human behavior, societal systems, and a willingness to actively work towards change. While history may repeat itself, it is not inevitable. As scientists, we must continue to learn from the past and strive for progress and improvement.

1. Why do historical flaws continue to persist?

Historical flaws often persist because they are deeply ingrained in societal structures and beliefs. They may also be perpetuated by power imbalances and systemic inequalities.

2. Can historical flaws be completely eliminated?

It is difficult to completely eliminate historical flaws because they are often deeply rooted in history and culture. However, it is possible to minimize their impact through education, awareness, and active efforts to address and correct them.

3. How do historical flaws affect our society today?

Historical flaws can have a significant impact on our society today, as they may contribute to systemic inequalities, discrimination, and injustices. They can also perpetuate harmful stereotypes and hinder progress towards a more equitable society.

4. Why haven't historical flaws changed over time?

Historical flaws may not have changed over time because they are often deeply ingrained in societal structures and beliefs, and may require a significant shift in thinking and action to overcome. Additionally, there may be resistance to change from those who benefit from maintaining the status quo.

5. What can be done to address historical flaws?

Addressing historical flaws requires a multifaceted approach that includes education, awareness, and active efforts to challenge and change the systems and beliefs that perpetuate these flaws. It also requires individuals to reflect on their own biases and actively work towards creating a more equitable society.