Why the Lagrangian is the difference of energies?

In summary: And the reason for that is because of the way that the equations of motion are written: $$\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = 0.$$ So if, for instance, the potential energy were defined with the opposite sign, then the ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}## term (which would now be ##\frac{\partial (-V)}{\partial q_i}##) would have the same sign as in the equations of motion, and the ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}## term would have the opposite sign. This would mean
MichPod
The Lagrangian in classical mechanics is known to be a difference of the kinetic and potential energy. My first question is - why? I.e. are there any reasons (except for "because it works this way") to have it as this difference of energies?

The second question is why is it this very value which takes a minumum when integrated over time. But this, of course, is nearly the same question, as the first one. But really, what is the Action? What is the meaning of the value of Energy*Time?

I don't have a problem to understand that there must be some variational problem for which the Newton equations are the solution. Nor that the "minimal action" principle may follow from quantum mechanics. I'm rather interested to understand why the Lagrangian (or action) takes this form in classical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the best answer is "because this is what works."

If potential energy ##V## was defined in the "opposite" way, having it increase when going to the direction of force, then the Lagrangian would be the sum of ##K## and ##V## instead of a difference. It's just a matter of convention. The Lagrange equation has the form that it does, because it produces the same equation of motion as Newton's 2nd law.

MichPod said:
The Lagrangian in classical mechanics is known to be a difference of the kinetic and potential energy. My first question is - why?
This is not strictly the case. For instance, the Lagrangian of a charged particle in an EM field takes the form ##L=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+q\textbf{v}\cdot\textbf{A}-q\phi##. I think the point is not about it being related strictly to kinetic and potential energies, but rather simply to the fact that the Lagrangian is a function of the generalised coordinates ##q_i## and velocities ##\dot{q}_i##. (See below)
MichPod said:
why is it this very value which takes a minumum when integrated over time.
If you take the Lagrangian to have the functional dependence ##L(q_i,\dot{q}_i)##, then the variation of the Lagrangian is $$\delta L=\sum_i\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}\delta q_i+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\delta \dot{q}_i\right).$$
Notice that ##q_i## and ##\dot{q}_i##, although dynamically independent of each other (both need to be specified), are not unrelated, one being the time derivative of the other. However, ##\dot{q}_i## is obtained from ##q_i## by differentiation only after having solved the equations of motion. It would be nice though if the variation of ##L## due to ##\delta\dot{q}_i## could somehow be integrated out and written in terms of ##\delta q_i##. This is achieved by taking the time integral of ##\delta L##, since $$\sum_i\int dt\left[\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}\delta q_i+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\delta \dot{q}_i\right]=\sum_i\int dt\left[\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}-\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\right)\right]\delta q_i,$$ through integration by parts.

hilbert2 said:
If potential energy ##V## was defined in the "opposite" way, having it increase when going to the direction of force, then the Lagrangian would be the sum of ##K## and ##V## instead of a difference. It's just a matter of convention. The Lagrange equation has the form that it does, because it produces the same equation of motion as Newton's 2nd law.

Well, it's not completely a matter of convention. There is a conserved quantity ##E = K + V##, so the real fact about the Lagrangian is that the potential energy enters with the opposite sign as in the energy.

Likes vanhees71

1. Why is the Lagrangian defined as the difference of energies?

The Lagrangian is defined as the difference of energies because it is a mathematical representation of the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of a physical system. This difference, also known as the action, is a fundamental quantity in the study of classical mechanics and helps to describe the motion and behavior of a system.

2. How does the Lagrangian relate to the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that the true path of a physical system is the one that minimizes the action, or the difference of energies. The Lagrangian is directly related to this principle as it is the mathematical expression of the action, allowing us to calculate and predict the most probable path of a system.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian is a crucial concept in classical mechanics as it provides a concise and elegant way to describe the motion and behavior of a physical system. It allows us to analyze complex systems and predict their future behavior, making it an essential tool for scientists and engineers in various fields.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used in other branches of physics?

While the Lagrangian was initially developed for use in classical mechanics, it has since been applied to other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. Its universal nature and ability to describe the behavior of physical systems make it a valuable tool in many areas of physics.

5. How is the Lagrangian related to the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is another fundamental quantity in classical mechanics that is closely related to the Lagrangian. The Hamiltonian is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of a system, which is equivalent to the Lagrangian. In many cases, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian can be used interchangeably to describe the behavior of a system.