Why the physical meaning of the quantum Hall effect is important

In summary: The reason why QHE is so important is that it gives us a quantization of the resistance, which allows us to conclude that graphene is just a 2-dimensional system.
skyhj105
I have read some paper about transport measurement of graphene.
From classical hall effect, we can get some information about kind of charge carrier, charge density etc.
So, it is important for understanding matter.
But, I don`t know why quantum hall effect is important in graphene transport measurement.
It`s consequence is just a quantization of conductance and by this quantization, we can conclude this electronic system is just a 2D.

Physics news on Phys.org
skyhj105 said:
But, I don`t know why quantum hall effect is important in graphene transport measurement.
It`s consequence is just a quantization of conductance and by this quantization, we can conclude this electronic system is just a 2D.

Because I) it tells us quite a lot about the materials and II) graphene can be used to make a quantum Hall resistance standard, so it is an important application (it is still not used routinely, but that will happen quite soon)

f95toli said:
Because I) it tells us quite a lot about the materials and II) graphene can be used to make a quantum Hall resistance standard, so it is an important application (it is still not used routinely, but that will happen quite soon)
First of all, Thank you for your reply.
But your answer is too abstract for me to understand. Can you give me a example of property judged by quantum hall effect?

graphene is a 2-d system, the quantum Hall effect becomes extremely important.

Dr Transport said:
graphene is a 2-d system, the quantum Hall effect becomes extremely important.
The reason why it is important is that it is a evidence of 2D electronic structure. Is it right? and That`s all?

skyhj105 said:
The reason why it is important is that it is a evidence of 2D electronic structure. Is it right? and That`s all?

It is not clear to me what you are actually asking.
*Are you wondering why there is so much interest in the QHE in graphene?
*Are you wondering what you can learn from measurements of the QHE in graphene?

The two questions are of course related, but the main answer to the first questions is that QHE based resistance standards is an important -practical- application of graphene; if it wasn't for this fact there wouldn't be nearly as much interest in this topic.

1. What is the quantum Hall effect?

The quantum Hall effect is a phenomenon that occurs in two-dimensional systems at low temperatures and high magnetic fields. It describes the quantization of the Hall resistance, which is the resistance of a material perpendicular to an applied current and magnetic field.

2. Why is the quantum Hall effect important?

The quantum Hall effect is important because it is a fundamental discovery in the field of condensed matter physics. It has led to a better understanding of the behavior of electrons in materials and has potential applications in the development of new electronic devices.

3. How does the quantum Hall effect work?

The quantum Hall effect is a result of the quantum mechanical nature of electrons. When subjected to a strong magnetic field, the electrons in a material form a two-dimensional gas and their energy levels become quantized. This leads to the quantization of the Hall resistance.

4. What are the potential applications of the quantum Hall effect?

The quantum Hall effect has potential applications in the development of highly precise and accurate electrical measurements, such as in quantum metrology and the creation of quantum standards for resistance. It also has potential applications in the development of new electronic devices, such as quantum computers.

5. Can the quantum Hall effect be observed in everyday materials?

The quantum Hall effect can be observed in certain materials, such as gallium arsenide and silicon, at extremely low temperatures and high magnetic fields. However, these conditions are not practical for everyday materials and applications, so it is primarily studied for its fundamental significance.